This Is Jeopardy! (Halloween Edition): The October 2023 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread

October 4
The band/musician who recorded this album comes from this same continent as the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Who is Toquinho - Toquinho (South America/Brazil)

View attachment 183879
Features the song “Na Água Negra Da Lagôa Zana,” which translates to “In the Black Water of the Lagoon”

Daily double points for that song link!

October 4
The band/musician who recorded this album comes from this same continent as the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Who is Toquinho - Toquinho (South America/Brazil)

View attachment 183879
Features the song “Na Água Negra Da Lagôa Zana,” which translates to “In the Black Water of the Lagoon”

I almost played this

October 3 -
This vampire famously sucked blood to live forever, whereas this album is by a band that many people think just sucks and won't die.

Most people didn't care for dubstep Korn when it was released - but it has grown on me - and now I think it was a good change as their previous few albums were kinda meh to bad.

Korn – The Path Of Totality
Music On Vinyl/Roadrunner Records – MOVLP2054, 2011/2020

Pressed at Record Industry

RroENn.jpg

S9qa1m.jpg

October 4 -

From Buenos Aires, Argentina.

The Black Furs – Stereophonic Freak Out Vol.1
Stoner Witch Records/Golden Dawn Recordings – SWR 007/GDR 013, 2019

Limited to 250

Cut by Levi Seitz at Blackbelt Mastering

vzK4wL.jpg

wnt7XQ.jpg

October4The band/musician who recorded this album comes from this same continent as the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

What is South America (V/A - Outro Tempo (Electronic And Contemporary Music From Brazil 1978-1992))?

20231004_122833.jpg

I'll admit, I don't have many musicians from South America in my library (mostly from preference). I've found that I've been enjoying Balearic music in the past months, conveniently. Many artists that fall under this genre/regional sound would fit well under the MFM umbrella. If I were to be a DJ, something I still have hopes to do in my free time, Balearic would be one of the few genre archetypes I would hone my purchases on.
Luckily enough, a new record store opened up two months ago in Portland, with emphasis on world music and OGs of various genres.

October 3
This vampire famously sucked blood to live forever, whereas this album is by a band that many people think just sucks and won't die.

U2 - Songs Of Innocence

View attachment 183814

Yes, we all were furious with the band and hated this album, even though we never listened to it and immediately searched how to remove it from our phones

Dammit... yesterday was my bday so I was preoccupied... but this was what I intended to spin! Rethinking....

October3This vampire famously sucked blood to live forever, whereas this album is by a band that many people think just sucks and won't die.

Who is... Count Dracula?

This is Black Pumas - S/T. To be fair, I'm not sure if the hate for this band extends out of this forum? And I don't think people hate them for their music but rather because they kept reissuing this same album over and over again in different variants. I never really understood the hate though. You bought the album once, you don't need it again. Other people can get a chance to get it! I personally think this album is pretty sweet.

20231004_203434.jpg

October4The band/musician who recorded this album comes from this same continent as the Creature from the Black Lagoon.
Who is... Seu Jorge (from Brazil/South America). I was undecided between a few Brazilian albums but haven't listened to this in a while and wanted to listen to it.

20231004_215221.jpg

Day 4: The band/musician who recorded this album comes from this same continent as the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

What is Greatest Hits by Billy Ocean?

IMG_7306.jpeg

Born in then-British colony Trinidad (which I think is part of South America, it’s literally right off the coast of Venezuela). It wasn’t until today that I realized just how devoid of South American musicians my collection is.

October3This doctor assembled his monster from body parts belonging to other people, this album is by a band made up of members who typically belong to other bands.

Maybe this one doesn't quite count since it's two solo artists, and this is perhaps the album the both of them are best known for, but the story of this album's creation - which involved their managers finding an excuse to keep them locked together in the same room for an hour in hopes that they clicked - feels in the spirit of the question.

What is Madvillainy?

_MG_2465.JPG

Back