This Is Jeopardy! (Halloween Edition): The October 2023 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread

October 3
This vampire famously sucked blood to live forever, whereas this album is by a band that many people think just sucks and won't die.

What is the only album in @imtheocean 's collection that has a minimum value of $0.01 on Discogs? (And who got Slowdive for $0.11)?

Who is Neil Diamond? And why Don't You Bring Him Flowers?

View attachment 183779

View attachment 183780
That Slowdive album is damn good, so I hope it was a legit sale for some lucky person!

October3This vampire famously sucked blood to live forever, whereas this album is by a band that many people think just sucks and won't die.

You know, I don’t own records by bands I think suck.

There are bands that I think suck that I know some people here like, so I’ll refrain from those.

So you guys are going to get the screenshot of a stream of something by an artist that just generally and wholeheartedly sucks. And I don’t guarantee that I’ll listen to the whole thing, since it sucks and I’m not going to subject myself to that.

Who is Dracula and who is Kid Rock?
Seriously, fuck this guy. And fuck this shit, I’m turning it off. Fucking fucker sucks so bad. I have better things to do with my day. Like literally anything. Like I had to get my blood drawn and provide a stool sample this morning. That was better.

IMG_0483.png

October3This vampire famously sucked blood to live forever, whereas this album is by a band that many people think just sucks and won't die.

You know, I don’t own records by bands I think suck.

There are bands that I think suck that I know some people here like, so I’ll refrain from those.

So you guys are going to get the screenshot of a stream of something by an artist that just generally and wholeheartedly sucks. And I don’t guarantee that I’ll listen to the whole thing, since it sucks and I’m not going to subject myself to that.

Who is Dracula and who is Kid Rock?
Seriously, fuck this guy. And fuck this shit, I’m turning it off. Fucking fucker sucks so bad. I have better things to do with my day. Like literally anything. Like I had to get my blood drawn and provide a stool sample this morning. That was better.

View attachment 183787

@Turbo just won the N&G Jeopardy Tournament of Champions with this one.

Day 3

This vampire famously sucked blood to live forever, whereas this album is by a band that many people think just sucks and won't die.

They lost me after Maladroit... And the user scores... Oof

I still love their first albums though.
Who is Weezer?

IMG_5778.jpeg

October 2
This doctor assembled his monster from body parts belonging to other people, this album is by a band made up of members who typically belong to other bands.

Who is Tinted Windows - Tinted Windows

IMG_6225.jpeg
Band featured Adam Schlesinger from Fountains of Wayne (also did the songwriting), James Iha from Smashing Pumpkins, Bun E. Carlos from Cheap Trick… and on vocals it’s Taylor Hanson from Hanson.

It sounds exactly like what you’d think, and I like it.

1696365913470.jpeg

October1This album predominantly features the same color on its cover (or wax variant) as this popular Halloween carving.
What is... a pumpkin?

This is Boris - Heavy Rocks (2002) - Features a super orange cover and equally as orange records!
20231003_164415.jpg

October 3

U2 - Songs Of Innocence

IMG_6226.jpeg

Yes, we all were furious with the band and hated this album, even though we never listened to it and immediately searched how to remove it from our phones

October2This doctor assembled his monster from body parts belonging to other people, this album is by a band made up of members who typically belong to other bands.

Who is... Frankenstein
This is Gorillaz - S/T. This album in particular was toted as a supergroup of sorts. It had Damon Albarn from Blur, Dan the Automator, Kid Koala, Miho Hatori from Cibo Matto, Del the Funky Homosapien, and Tina Weymouth from Tom Tom Club / Talking heads.

20231003_182409.jpg

Yes, we all were furious with the band and hated this album, even though we never listened to it and immediately searched how to remove it from our phones
A friend of mine had bluetooth connected in her car to her phone. We used to carpool to work. Every time, she turned on the car, this U2 album would go blaring and she'd shut it off. She's not a fan of U2 but never hated it enough to figure how to get rid of it. One day I had enough and I had to beg her to let me figure out how to delete it from her phone.

I don't hate U2 btw, I'm an old U2 fan. I never really got into newer U2 so would have never checked it out

A friend of mine had bluetooth connected in her car to her phone. We used to carpool to work. Every time, she turned on the car, this U2 album would go blaring and she'd shut it off. She's not a fan of U2 but never hated it enough to figure how to get rid of it. One day I had enough and I had to beg her to let me figure out how to delete it from her phone.

The same with me! I don’t know how many times I’ve accidentally heard the first few bars of that first track in my car, and it’s not a great song. I eventually listened to the rest of the record and I actually enjoy it, though I still skip the first song.

The same with me! I don’t know how many times I’ve accidentally heard the first few bars of that first track in my car, and it’s not a great song. I eventually listened to the rest of the record and I actually enjoy it, though I still skip the first song.
Too much PTSD to listen to this album for me now... maybe some day i'll get over it.

@Wes C. Attle @zomgbear et al.

I've always enjoyed this review more than the album itself.

What is Phish?

I don't think they suck, but lotsa people do.
And it's possible they won't die.

Unnecessary factoid - Stash was my first favorite Phish song.

Unnecessary story related to the factoid: A friend and I were at a frat party in Ann Arbor that we had little interest in. We stepped outside to smoke and heard Stash playing at a really loud volume from a stereo outside somewhere . It sounded so good. So we tracked it down and there was a small party on a deck a few houses down. But they were DICKS. We just wanted to join them, spark a doob, listed to my new favorite song. But we left. Anyway, undeterred, I went on to really love this band for a spell. I went to a dozen shows or so. I'm not as into them now, and yet I've been collecting favorite records on vinyl. I think I should search for Billy Breathes next, I think that's the last album I was into.

IMG_5712.JPG

Day 3: This vampire famously sucked blood to live forever, whereas this album is by a band that many people think just sucks and won't die.

What is Scorpion by Drakeula?

IMG_7304.jpeg

I used to be a huge Drake fan in the first 10 years or so of his career, but I have no patience for him anymore. CLB sucked, Her Loss was as if Fresh & Fit made an album (albeit with more decent/good songs than CLB) and his latest song “Slime You Out” is no better, unless you like hearing him croon about how he needs to micromanage his girls & how he keeps them “whipped and chained like American slaves”. Seriously.

EDIT: oh yeah I forgot about the house album he did 🤣. It was ok, I guess.

Last edited:
October 4
The band/musician who recorded this album comes from this same continent as the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Who is Toquinho - Toquinho (South America/Brazil)

IMG_6229.jpeg
Features the song “Na Água Negra Da Lagôa Zana,” which translates to “In the Black Water of the Lagoon”

Back