The Waxhole: Speakeasy & Whisk(e)y Lounge

Decided to treat myself with a couple of bottles after surviving sober January.
View attachment 31220
The Eagle Rare ($37) is a single barrel from one of my local shops, said to be a bit spicy which I like.
I’m going into the E. H. Taylor ($90) blind but usually like what I try from them.

Even regular Eagle Rare is great and an insane bargain.

I probably should have bought more Whiskey... 11 bottles doesn’t seem like I’ll have it very long. Especially since we’re finishing off the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof as I type:
View attachment 37731View attachment 37732
I know how you feel, I polished off the Angels Envy Rye last night

A97FAE69-EB14-47B4-9E19-C47A903EF8BE.jpeg
Looks like I’ll need to crack open the Col. E.H. Taylor rye next.

Um, so I think everyone knows I’m in love with bourbon and I really like Macallan. However, I am also quite fond of Rye. This is the first Rye I’ve ever had that is on the level of a decent bourbon or really good scotch:
View attachment 39610
Not sure what price points you dabble in, but as far as rye goes, I really like High West Rendezvous Rye. It might be hovering in the $60 range these days. Was $40 about 5 years ago and then things got even crazier price wise. Whistle Pig is fantastic, but starts around $80 for the entry level. I love the spicier edge rye brings to the table, not to mention notes of dill for example. Oh, Bourye by High West is also fun. Bourbon and Rye blend. That Knob creek 120 proof is outstanding. Even at that strength, they manage to make it smooth.

Not sure what price points you dabble in, but as far as rye goes, I really like High West Rendezvous Rye. It might be hovering in the $60 range these days. Was $40 about 5 years ago and then things got even crazier price wise. Whistle Pig is fantastic, but starts around $80 for the entry level. I love the spicier edge rye brings to the table, not to mention notes of dill for example. Oh, Bourye by High West is also fun. Bourbon and Rye blend. That Knob creek 120 proof is outstanding. Even at that strength, they manage to make it smooth.

High West's Double Rye is also lovely, at a lower price point.

And I'll throw it out there because it's local, but I really like Catoctin Creek Roundstone Rye.

Hey y’all I need a suggestion for a Scotch that is somewhat affordable but not too peat-y. I splurged on a Laphroag last month to celebrate the end of the election but I normally don’t spend that much. I thought I’d like it but it was like liquid fireplace. I love the Glenlivet 12 but for some reason in Vermont a regular bottle is like $60. It was always $40 or less when I lived in Connecticut. Any suggestions for something similar to that but cheaper?

Hey y’all I need a suggestion for a Scotch that is somewhat affordable but not too peat-y. I splurged on a Laphroag last month to celebrate the end of the election but I normally don’t spend that much. I thought I’d like it but it was like liquid fireplace. I love the Glenlivet 12 but for some reason in Vermont a regular bottle is like $60. It was always $40 or less when I lived in Connecticut. Any suggestions for something similar to that but cheaper?
Laphroaig is second only to Ardbeg as the smokiest scotch. Lagavulin is a bit more approachable. Talisker and Caol Ila even more so if you still want some smoke.

Otherwise, highlands/speysides are probably your friend.

If you like just a touch of smoke, and you want the price kept down, I'd suggest Black Bottle. It's a blend of single malts and is a really great bargain scotch. Its something friends of mine who want to branch out a little from Glenlivet territory seem to enjoy. Last I recall it was in the $25 dollar a 750ml range

Not sure of prices where you are so I apologize if some of the suggestions are pricier than you are looking for.

I would check out Bowmore 12yr. This is an Islay whisky and I find it a nice coastal sip (you can close your eyes and taste the ocean).

Probably too expensive down in the US, but keep an eye out for Balvenie, either Doublewood or Caribbean Cask, on a menu somewhere and give them a try. They are pricey but both are interesting and less of a peat monster. Doublewood is matured first in an oak cask then in a sherry butt. Caribbean Cask starts in an oak cask and is finished in a rum cask, which give it an interesting flavour profile.

Laphroaig is second only to Ardbeg as the smokiest scotch. Lagavulin is a bit more approachable. Talisker and Caol Ila even more so if you still want some smoke.

Otherwise, highlands/speysides are probably your friend.

Gotta say I wasn’t impressed by Caol Isla, it felt it was quite a rough drink, I prefer a smoother palate, even if there is more smoke. I still think it’s hard to beat Lagavulin in scotch from a quality v price point, both the 8 and the 16 are fantastic whiskeys, the 8 is a nice intro into Smokey whiskeys.

Gotta say I wasn’t impressed by Caol Isla, it felt it was quite a rough drink, I prefer a smoother palate, even if there is more smoke. I still think it’s hard to beat Lagavulin in scotch from a quality v price point, both the 8 and the 16 are fantastic whiskeys, the 8 is a nice intro into Smokey whiskeys.
I love Laphroaig, but I agree Lagavulin is what I’d recommend to people who aren’t already smoke fiends. The 16 is pretty much perfect.

Been a long while since I’ve had Caol Ila, so I’ll have to defer to you on that one.

Not sure of prices where you are so I apologize if some of the suggestions are pricier than you are looking for.

I would check out Bowmore 12yr. This is an Islay whisky and I find it a nice coastal sip (you can close your eyes and taste the ocean).

Probably too expensive down in the US, but keep an eye out for Balvenie, either Doublewood or Caribbean Cask, on a menu somewhere and give them a try. They are pricey but both are interesting and less of a peat monster. Doublewood is matured first in an oak cask then in a sherry butt. Caribbean Cask starts in an oak cask and is finished in a rum cask, which give it an interesting flavour profile.
Caribbean Cask is eminently drinkable.

Back