The Waxhole: Speakeasy & Whisk(e)y Lounge

Laphroaig is second only to Ardbeg as the smokiest scotch. Lagavulin is a bit more approachable. Talisker and Caol Ila even more so if you still want some smoke.

Otherwise, highlands/speysides are probably your friend.

If you like just a touch of smoke, and you want the price kept down, I'd suggest Black Bottle. It's a blend of single malts and is a really great bargain scotch. Its something friends of mine who want to branch out a little from Glenlivet territory seem to enjoy. Last I recall it was in the $25 dollar a 750ml range

Not sure of prices where you are so I apologize if some of the suggestions are pricier than you are looking for.

I would check out Bowmore 12yr. This is an Islay whisky and I find it a nice coastal sip (you can close your eyes and taste the ocean).

Probably too expensive down in the US, but keep an eye out for Balvenie, either Doublewood or Caribbean Cask, on a menu somewhere and give them a try. They are pricey but both are interesting and less of a peat monster. Doublewood is matured first in an oak cask then in a sherry butt. Caribbean Cask starts in an oak cask and is finished in a rum cask, which give it an interesting flavour profile.
I ended up getting a Glen Moray 12. Which is a Speyside distillery. Notes say it’s pretty sweet so I’m excited to try it! It was $35~ which is not bad.

the store that I normally go to didn’t have any of the other suggestions so I settled for that one. There’s another store a town away that has BY FAR a greater selection, so I’ll be on the lookout for something different next time I’m there.

It should be noted that while Lagavulin is less smoky than Laphroaig or Ardbeg, it is still notably smoky. But there’s an underlying sweetness to the Lagavulin that helps moderate the smoke, and it has none of the iodine notes of the Laphroaig.

It should be noted that while Lagavulin is less smoky than Laphroaig or Ardbeg, it is still notably smoky. But there’s an underlying sweetness to the Lagavulin that helps moderate the smoke, and it has none of the iodine notes of the Laphroaig.
That one was in stock but it was $65. The next time I’m splurging on a whiskey I’ll grab that one. I’m familiar with it a bit because it’s Ron Swanson’s favorite scotch 🤓

and tbf I’ve had some peaty whiskeys before, and don’t dislike them but the Laphroaig was pretty much smoke only. There was no underlying oak-y or caramel-y taste with it. I stomached a couple of glasses but then I was adding some bitters and even splashing a little apple cider with it which made it better.

That one was in stock but it was $65. The next time I’m splurging on a whiskey I’ll grab that one. I’m familiar with it a bit because it’s Ron Swanson’s favorite scotch 🤓

and tbf I’ve had some peaty whiskeys before, and don’t dislike them but the Laphroaig was pretty much smoke only. There was no underlying oak-y or caramel-y taste with it. I stomached a couple of glasses but then I was adding some bitters and even splashing a little apple cider with it which made it better.
With Laphroaig in particular I mostly nurse the glass and sniff at it and occasionally take sips and wash it through my mouth. It’s more of a medicinal experience, but I enjoy it, and you do pick up on some of the subtleties. I do this with Cask Strength, even.

It is not my easy drinking choice, but I often keep a bottle on hand.

Give the Talisker 10 a shot. It’s normally cheaper than Lagavulin and it has a pleasant island-y brininess to it.

View attachment 79005
Compass Box Peat Monster. This one is very smokey but incredibly light and has that touch of sweetness of Lagavulin, and without the medicinal notes of Laphroig @kvetcha aptly noted
I’ve been meaning to try this, but I’ve got to drive into DC to get it!

In @wokeupnew’s honor, I’ve polished off my five year old bottle of Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength (batch 006). Nice dram. I’ll miss it.

We make some damn fine whiskeys. They tend to be at the smoother end of things. Give Teelings a go if you get a chance, they distil some great whiskeys!
I do love a smooth whiskey! Maybe getting a little into Irish is the way to go. I’ll see if I can find those near me. 🥃

I do love a smooth whiskey! Maybe getting a little into Irish is the way to go. I’ll see if I can find those near me. 🥃

Teelings Stout Cask (they send their used casks from normal whiskey to an Irish craft brewer in Galway who matures stout in them and then returns them so they can mature whiskey in it again) is an absolute favourite. Any of the spots are good (Yellow is the best value/taste one for me) and any of the Writters Tears are all really nice whiskeys!

Back