The Waxhole: Speakeasy & Whisk(e)y Lounge

kvetcha

I wanted to bring this thread back, and I also wanted to make use of my waxhole name idea. Sorry, everyone.

What are we drinkin'?

This, friends, is a modest celebratory pour of Teeling Single Malt Irish Whiskey. Welcome home.

D0466355-9A54-43F4-8D0A-B3B683831376.jpeg

It was an over the top birthday gift I got last summer. A really yummy, special birthday gift. Ever try Rendezvous Rye from High West? That's my favorite semi reasonably priced rye.

I think I've had Rendezvous; I've definitely had Double Rye!. Unfortunately, High West whiskeys are massively overpriced in Virginia, so I haven't tried as many of them as I'd like.

D
I think I've had Rendezvous; I've definitely had Double Rye!. Unfortunately, High West whiskeys are massively overpriced in Virginia, so I haven't tried as many of them as I'd like.
Double Rye is really great too! Prices for High West has gone up a lot of late, unfortunately, but that's probably true for most whiskey producers. Double Rye was my doorway to rye.

D
Double Rye is really great too! Prices for High West has gone up a lot of late, unfortunately, but that's probably true for most whiskey producers. Double Rye was my doorway to rye.

Even back when High West was considered affordable, our state ABC stores were charging $60-70 for it. I liked it, but at that price it's a harder sell.

Even back when High West was considered affordable, our state ABC stores were charging $60-70 for it. I liked it, but at that price it's a harder sell.
Oof, OK that's the price of things like Bourye around here. I'm used to Rendezvous costing around $40 here in the Twin Cities. It might be more now, but I bought a few bottles at this lower price.

Oof, OK that's the price of things like Bourye around here. I'm used to Rendezvous costing around $40 here in the Twin Cities. It might be more now, but I bought a few bottles at this lower price.

Actually, Double Rye! is on sale for $35 right now. Rendezvous is $75, as is Campfire.

keeping my cocktails simple lately. But I bought some orange vermouth the other day. Not sure why, other than why not? Its a sweet vermouth, but super light and easy to sip. Any cocktail suggestions on what to mix it with? I am thinking a rye manhattan first. As far as the rye's topic above, I keep it simple. Rittenhouse for cocktails and Knobb Creek for sipping. My big kick of late has been mezcal. Can't get enough of it.

keeping my cocktails simple lately. But I bought some orange vermouth the other day. Not sure why, other than why not? Its a sweet vermouth, but super light and easy to sip. Any cocktail suggestions on what to mix it with? I am thinking a rye manhattan first. As far as the rye's topic above, I keep it simple. Rittenhouse for cocktails and Knobb Creek for sipping. My big kick of late has been mezcal. Can't get enough of it.

Rye Manhattan, Boulevardier, Negroni!

You can also sub mezcal for gin and make a Smokey Negroni.

So is orange vermouth made with natural "orange" wine that's all the rage right now?

Not a huge wine person but I've really been enjoying sipping on chilled vermouths and wine based liqueurs lately. A bar a few blocks away has a fancy dry vermouth on draft. They have vinyl DJs most nights too.

So is orange vermouth made with natural "orange" wine that's all the rage right now?

Not a huge wine person but I've really been enjoying sipping on chilled vermouths and wine based liqueurs lately. A bar a few blocks away has a fancy dry vermouth on draft. They have vinyl DJs most nights too.

Vermouth on the rocks ain’t bad.

Back