The Super Thread - All Things Marvel/DC/Etc

Did you guys see the Sony 'mess up' with the Brazilian trailer? Looks like they overlooked a tiny detail that likely revealed more than they wanted to.

Anyway, im hyped for it. We watched the first Toby Maguire one today in anticipation. It held up pretty well despite some less than polished CGI (hell, it was good for its day). I remember watching it in the cinema as a kid so I have always had a soft spot for it.

On a side note, anyone else think trailers reveal too much nowadays? I watched the No Way Home one because I knew 'spoilers' would get to me somehow, but honestly I feel like you could piece together the film from the amount that they showed.

Slight digression, but I just started reading "All of the Marvels" by Douglas Wolk and wanted to recommend it to this group.
All of the Marvels by Douglas Wolk: 9780735222168 | PenguinRandomHouse.com: Books

The author's basic argument is that the Marvel Universe is really just one giant, ongoing piece of literature with thousands of interconnected branches and as part of his research set out to read every Marvel comic ever published. The book speaks to the themes around the characters and how their stories and role within the canon have changed over time, as well as the impact of individual artists or story-tellers and how they add to the ongoing story. I actually just finished the chapter on Spider-Man last night, and it's got me picking up storylines I've missed over the years (I have a Marvel Unlimited subscription). If nothing else it's an interesting commentary on our collective relationship with Marvel stories and how unique and kind of incredible what Marvel comics has done over the years actually is.

Slight digression, but I just started reading "All of the Marvels" by Douglas Wolk and wanted to recommend it to this group.
All of the Marvels by Douglas Wolk: 9780735222168 | PenguinRandomHouse.com: Books

The author's basic argument is that the Marvel Universe is really just one giant, ongoing piece of literature with thousands of interconnected branches and as part of his research set out to read every Marvel comic ever published. The book speaks to the themes around the characters and how their stories and role within the canon have changed over time, as well as the impact of individual artists or story-tellers and how they add to the ongoing story. I actually just finished the chapter on Spider-Man last night, and it's got me picking up storylines I've missed over the years (I have a Marvel Unlimited subscription). If nothing else it's an interesting commentary on our collective relationship with Marvel stories and how unique and kind of incredible what Marvel comics has done over the years actually is.
I'll have to search this out. I was tempted to get the new "Story of the Marvel Universe" set, but it's very pricey. I'll wait till it comes down. But I'm impressed with how well they brought everything together through the Infinity Saga and am curious to read the background on it.

On the DC side, I found Glen Weldon's books - One on Batman, one on Superman - to be excellent reads on the history of the characters and the publics interaction with them.

Finally crossing both Marvel and DC, Mark Evanier's book on Jack Kirby was a great read too.

Amazon product ASIN 1419727494

I'm hoping the Blade movie with Mahershala Ali will be good, it's probably the MCU project I'm most interested in at the moment even though there's not a ton of info out about it yet. Although with it being a part of the MCU, there's not a chance they let them make it R-rated, is there?
I don't know if it's been confirmed but there are a lot of rumours online about it being PG-13. I'm with you, can't wait for it to come out. I love the Blade trilogy, so ridiculous but so fun.

so i´m looking forward to hawkeye. i recently read through the matt fraction hawkeye and liked it a lot. it had a lot of clever ideas like the issue from a dogs perspective and the sign language issue, but i guess the series will only pick snippets from that series ( tracksuit mafia, trick arrow car chase) because the hawkeye in the comics is a pretty different character from the mcu hawkeye

so i´m looking forward to hawkeye. i recently read through the matt fraction hawkeye and liked it a lot. it had a lot of clever ideas like the issue from a dogs perspective and the sign language issue, but i guess the series will only pick snippets from that series ( tracksuit mafia, trick arrow car chase) because the hawkeye in the comics is a pretty different character from the mcu hawkeye
Yeah, I am very excited for this too. The biggest issue and why I was initially convinced they would sadly never try to turn Fractions Hawkeye into a movie or series was the fact that in the comic Hawkeye was a bit of a caddish bachelor who lived in New York and in the MCU he was a family man who was married to Linda Cardalini and live on a farm. It seems as though whatever changes they made to the character it seems as though they got the tone right. More of a buddy action comedy.

This is the reason I'm pretty ambivalent about the new series. Comics Hawkeye is an eternal bachelor who lives in Brooklyn and is a pretty insecure dude. Movies Hawkeye is a family fan who lives on a farm upstate and is all about his family. You can see some of the ways they're trying to make MCU Clint more like the comics (like having him take his family to NYC for this story) but it just comes across to me as the MCU trying to capitalize on an acclaimed comic run when the diffrences are pretty vast.

Of course they are using David Aja's arrow-centric tonal artwork in the marketing material for the show, and giving him absolutely zero credit or royalty.

Also if anyone here hasn't read the Fraction/Aja series, I highly suggest you pick it up in a physical format. There's bonus pages where David Aja talks about the colors he uses in each issue, and lays out "tone maps" for how each page flows into the next. It's really something else.

Edit: Didn't mean to restate what you just said @TenderLovingKiller® haha

Last edited:
married to Linda Cardalini and live on a farm
giphy.gif

My Hawkeye thoughts…

Watched the first 2 episodes of Hawkeye this morning. I like it. It is fun to see how much they borrowed from the comic (heavily) and then recalibrated everything to fit within the context of the MCU.
Clint is now deaf but as a result of hearing loss as opposed to being born deaf. Clint’s Apartment in the comic is now Kate’s apartments. While Kate’s Aunts apartment was just Kates apartment in the comic. Pizza Dog is there but he’s more Kate’s dog than Clint’s. It’s also pretty clear the Kate’s mom is either engaged The Swordsman or a protégé of The Swordsman depending how they decide to spin it. There was a black market auction but instead of for a VHS tape it was for an Avengers watch. You also got a reference to a hurricane by Kate’s father and Grills! I was happy he was referenced. I would imagine he will return later in story. Obvious he is now a black paramedic rather than the dude that man’s the grills at the rooftop cookouts. Sadly, he also seems to know Clint is Hawkeye as opposed to “Hawkguy” but we can’t have everything I suppose.

The thing I enjoyed the most in relation to the plot is the opening scene of the destruction that occurred in NYC during the first Avengers movie from the perspective of someone caught up in the moment. The other thing that was great was them showing Clint’s uncomfortableness with being a hero/celebrity. I felt like it paid reference to what many veterans go through when they return from service. Lastly, I think this is as much of a Kate Bishop origin story as anything and Hailee Steinfeld is a perfect Kate, I hope they continue to develop and run with her character because she is absolutely charming.

Last edited:
My Hawkeye thoughts…

Watched the first 2 episodes of Hawkeye this morning. I like it. It is fun to see how much they borrowed from the comic (heavily) and then recalibrated everything to fix within the context of the MCU.
Clint is now deaf but as a result of hearing loss as opposed to being born deaf. Clint’s Apartment in the comic is now Kate’s apartments. While Kate’s Aunts apartment was just Kates apartment in the comic. Pizza Dog is there but he’s more Kate’s dog than Clint’s. It’s also pretty clear the Kate’s mom is either engaged The Swordsman or a protégé of The Swordsman depending how they decide to spin it. There was a black market auction but instead of for a VHS tape it was for an Avengers watch. You also got a reference to a hurricane by Kate’s father and Grills! I was happy he was referenced. I would imagine he will return later in story. Obvious he is now a black paramedic rather than the dude that man’s the grills at the rooftop cookouts. Sadly, he also seems to know Clint is Hawkeye as opposed to “Hawkguy” but we can’t have everything I suppose.

The thing I enjoyed the most in relation to the plot is the opening scene of the destruction that occurred in NYC during the first Avengers movie from the perspective of someone caught up in the moment. The other thing that was great was I think them showing Clint’s uncomfortableness with being a hero/celebrity. I felt like it paid reference to what many veterans go through when they return from service. Lastly, I think this is as much of a Kate Bishop origin story as anything and Hailee Steinfeld is a perfect Kate, I hope they continue to develop and run with her character because she is absolutely charming.
What he said

wasn't he deaf only n parts of the fraction run because he got stabbed in the ears with arrows
Yeah, but..
Clint is deaf as a child and his hearing was later restored. That is why Clint and his brother can communicate while he’s deaf in the comic since they both know ASL

Last edited:
Reactions: Jan
Back