The Super Thread - All Things Marvel/DC/Etc

Shang-Chi was okay; I wasn't wowed by it but there were enough decent action sequences and world-building moments to make it worth watching. It unfortunately suffers from a lot of the usual MCU cliches and formula, but then again that's to be expected at this point I suppose.

Yeah my worries have been relieved so far. They've done a good job semi-adapting the comic. Most of the story elements that belonged to Clint have just been shifted to Kate and it's working well. Hailee Steinfeld is exellent, I can't wait to see Kate in Young Avengers someday soon.

Hawkeye is a fun show. I’m always happy when Marvel does something that doesn’t have the fate of the universe or our world hanging in the balance.
i think they already did this with the netflix shows ( daredevil or jessica Jones) where they showed the things the world saving avengers did not care about. Also, the things i found most interesting about the Falcon and the winter soldier were the subplots about racism and that they took the universe they built seriously and thought consequences of endgames happy ending through ( what happens if half of the population is gone for 5 years and returns with the blip)

I think I must have seen the 1978 Superman movie when I was younger at least once, but I don't know if I was really able to properly appreciate it. Rewatching it again, it's fair to say it's one of the best superhero movie ever made, right? Christopher Reeve absolutely kills the role. It's actually hard to believe that his Clark Kent and Superman are the same person and that is an amazing achievement. It just has this genuine sense of wonder to it that a lot of superhero movies don't really have anymore.

I think I must have seen the 1978 Superman movie when I was younger at least once, but I don't know if I was really able to properly appreciate it. Rewatching it again, it's fair to say it's one of the best superhero movie ever made, right? Christopher Reeve absolutely kills the role. It's actually hard to believe that his Clark Kent and Superman are the same person and that is an amazing achievement. It just has this genuine sense of wonder to it that a lot of superhero movies don't really have anymore.
I prefer Superman II a bit more than the original but both are really great overall. Did you know Mario Puzo (best known for writing The Godfather novels Coppola based his movies on) wrote the screenplay for the original Superman movie? Reeves is fantastic but the rest of the cast is great too, Love Margot Kidder’s Lois Lane and Gene Hackman’s Lex Luther. Even Brando hamming it up has Superman’s father is fantastic. John Williams ‘Superman Theme” is up there with his most iconic work.

Superman and Superman II are both excellent. Superman III is decent, Richard Pryor is fun in that one but its a few tiers below the first two in terms of quality. The less said about Superman IV: A Quest For Peace the better.

Are you planning on watching them all? I may join in on that I haven’t any of them in at least 20 years. I was a big fan as a child though.

The original Superman is a fantastic superhero film, there's a lot of elements there I wish newer films would pick up. Big one that comes to mind is the use of sound, and how the '78 film isn't afraid to have a bit of silence to build up moments.

Superman II is a real doozy. Best thing to come out of it is this clip

There are 2 diffrent cuts you can see, one directed by Richard Lester and one by Richard Donnor. They're both awful films (but I love them in a hokey way). I don't know which ending I like less; Superman developing the power to erase minds through kissing, or him flyng around the world, reversing the spin of the earth and somehow turning back time. Fun watch with friends and a couple beers.

I prefer Superman II a bit more than the original but both are really great overall. Did you know Mario Puzo (best known for writing The Godfather novels Coppola based his movies on) wrote the screenplay for the original Superman movie? Reeves is fantastic but the rest of the cast is great too, Love Margot Kidder’s Lois Lane and Gene Hackman’s Lex Luther. Even Brando hamming it up has Superman’s father is fantastic. John Williams ‘Superman Theme” is up there with his most iconic work.

Superman and Superman II are both excellent. Superman III is decent, Richard Pryor is fun in that one but its a few tiers below the first two in terms of quality. The less said about Superman IV: A Quest For Peace the better.

Are you planning on watching them all? I may join in on that I haven’t any of them in at least 20 years. I was a big fan as a child though.
I wasn't going to watch all of them but now I'm thinking why not 🤔 it looks like they're all on HBO Max so I really have no excuse. I'll probably at least watch the second one.

And yeah, I recognized Puzo's name in the credits and was slightly amused 😅 maybe someone should hire Cormac McCarthy to write the screenplay for the next Batman movie. I've heard worse ideas for movies.

As a sidenote, on the subject of Margot Kidder, I remembered a tweet that made rounds a month or so ago that asked the question "What's the best an actor has ever looked on screen?" and was thinking while watching that her Lois Lane might be a contender 😍

I've never watched Superman III but going by the poster it looks like a Richard Pryor/Superman comedy team up movie, and how could that be bad?
1639069087177.png

The original Superman is a fantastic superhero film, there's a lot of elements there I wish newer films would pick up. Big one that comes to mind is the use of sound, and how the '78 film isn't afraid to have a bit of silence to build up moments.
I agree with this. A lot of modern superhero films have to cram so much story and so many characters into their two and a half hours that barely anything is given time to breathe. And characters end up not feeling fully developed because the people behind them probably just operate under the ethos that more movies with them are almost guaranteed so they can just give them more development then. It would be nice to see a modern superhero movie that was able to stand as it's own film with a self contained story rather than having to tie in with 20 other movies.

One of my favorite visuals from Superman II is the rings used to keep Zod & Company trapped. Such a simple effect, but one that stuck with me.

It just has this genuine sense of wonder
One of the taglines for the '78 film was something like "You'll believe that a man can fly" or something like that. In the 90s, especially during the Grant Morrison relaunch of JLA, there was a lot of consideration given to the DC heroes being like a modern pantheon of demi-gods. I think some of that was simply to contrast with Marvel's more grounded, personality-based approach to characters, but it was also just meant to inspire awe. And it's a cool idea for some stories, but it also elevates the character to a being who has no attachment to our world. One of the tensions some Superman writers have explored is the idea that Jor-El sent Kal to earth knowing that the yellow sun would make it possible for him to rule the planet. But he's still a refugee. And it's the tolerance, humility, and kindness that the Kents showed him that made him identify more with his adopted planet than with Krypton. This is what the Snyder films ultimately miss; what makes Superman compelling is that he's an allegory for a refugee's inherent goodness to shine under the care of a safe adoptive home, not that he's a god among us capable of fighting other gods. That part is incidental.
maybe someone should hire Cormac McCarthy to write the screenplay for the next Batman movie. I've heard worse ideas for movies.
Did you ever read about Darren Aronofsky's treatment of the Year One story?

maybe someone should hire Cormac McCarthy to write the screenplay for the next Batman movie

Gotham was a gaping maw inconsolate, sable dark and blinding fluorescent like all fallen metropolises that retain in their recesses a memory of their once-luciferine heights. Bruce had once read the city's true nature in the way blood black as bile could render opaque a pearl's iridescence as easily as it could a mother's vitality and now he would furrow Gotham's true constitution until it flowed inward on itself and choked would have no choice but to be reborn. He would move chiropteran through the hadean depths of slum and board room alike, the hierophant of a darkness recloaked in vengance.

But first he had to stop the Laughing Man.

Gotham was a gaping maw inconsolate, sable dark and blinding fluorescent like all fallen metropolises that retain in their recesses a memory of their once-luciferine heights. Bruce had once read the city's true nature in the way blood black as bile could render opaque a pearl's iridescence as easily as it could a mother's vitality and now he would furrow Gotham's true constitution until it flowed inward on itself and choked would have no choice but to be reborn. He would move chiropteran through the hadean depths of slum and board room alike, the hierophant of a darkness recloaked in vengance.

Isn’t this basically already Snyder’s take on Batman?

Jesus. Now do Pynchon.

Back