The Super Thread - All Things Marvel/DC/Etc

Luckily for me, First Class was just added to Disney+ today so I'd say I'll probably get to that one tonight.

Also, for those who have seen it, is the extended version of The Wolverine worth going out of my way to find? I really would prefer to watch it over the theatrical version but it looks like I'm either going to have to import a Blu-ray or spend $10 to buy it digitally.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I think seeing it again now knowing that they do get better afterwards made me less harsh on it, but it is by far the worst of the series up to this point. I will say that it is actually so dated that it's kind of entertaining in a "yup, this is definitely a bad movie from 2009" way. Hard to believe a film can become such a relic in just twelve years but they managed it.

It's really just a baffling movie on a conceptual level, because it teases us with some scenes about Logan's life before agreeing to be part of the Weapon X program, which would have made for a far more interesting story. But no, we have to bring Stryker into it again for whatever reason and it has to be all about him getting the adamantium because we haven't seen enough of that yet 🙄 and the less said about the movie's treatment of Deadpool the better.

I commend you for being able to give it another chance. I don't think I have ever left a movie theater as annoyed as I was after seeing it.

So, watched eternals yesterday and liked it. I don´t know anything abut the comic book material of the eternals, so it was one of the few superhero movies, where the plot twists surprised me. It´s optically different from a lot of the other mcu movies as it looks a little grittier in parts. i found more plot and the long exposition did the movie good and found the characters pretty relatable. So i´m in the favourable camp.
I think it shows what the mcu showrunners do good. Managning a common universe , connecting plotlines etc, butt getting in enough different film-makers from different backgrounds to have movies with a completely different feel within this universe.

So, watched eternals yesterday and liked it. I don´t know anything abut the comic book material of the eternals, so it was one of the few superhero movies, where the plot twists surprised me. It´s optically different from a lot of the other mcu movies as it looks a little grittier in parts. i found more plot and the long exposition did the movie good and found the characters pretty relatable. So i´m in the favourable camp.
I think it shows what the mcu showrunners do good. Managning a common universe , connecting plotlines etc, butt getting in enough different film-makers from different backgrounds to have movies with a completely different feel within this universe.
I watched it last night…I enjoyed it a ton and it opens phase 4 and beyond wide open….def can’t wait to rewatch it and pick up on more Easter eggs

I watched it last night…I enjoyed it a ton and it opens phase 4 and beyond wide open….def can’t wait to rewatch it and pick up on more Easter eggs
Reading up in the Post credit scene I obviously missed the big Easter egg being that the voice talking to Dane Whitman from the off was Blade

I'm already five movies deep into the X-Men series so why not go all the way. Decided to order blu-rays of the unrated version of The Wolverine and the Rogue Cut of Days of Future Past. DOFP came today so now just waiting on The Wolverine.

Also rewatched First Class on Disney+. It's alright, though I don't think I love it as much as other people do. It's telling that the movie originated as a Magneto origin story because that's easily the strongest aspect of the movie in my opinion. It's better than Origins and The Last Stand but I still don't think it tops the first two movies.

That Captain Marvel score 😬 is that the product of review bombing or did people really just not like the movie? I remember it being fine as far as MCU movies go.

I don’t think it’s a huge surprise that it and Black Panther, which is still the best Marvel movie by a distance for my money, are the two where the public view trends way lower than the critical view given the way the world has moved the last 5-10 years.

Also been enjoying reading your recap of X-Men, I’d like to do that too at some point and maybe watch Logan Noir too, it’s on the blu-ray and on my to do list but I’d never managed to get around to it..

Captain Marvel was the first non-Waititi Marvel movie my wife liked and is the reason she gives each new movie a shot now. I thought it was great. Dudes on the Internet need to find more productive hobbies than downvoting movies with women and people of color.

Resuming the X-Men marathon...

The Wolverine is not bad, but despite the unique setting and decent action sequences, I just find it isn't the most memorable movie, which is probably why I had very little recollection of seeing it when it originally came out a couple years ago. That said, as a solo Wolverine movie, it's leagues about Origins and handles the character way better. I just wish maybe the story would have been a little stronger or something, because it feels like a movie with a lot of good elements but there's just something that doesn't connect all the way.

Days of Future Past holds up very well. I actually decided to revisit the theatrical version rather than the Rogue Cut (which I'll still get to at some point) and to be honest I don't really think anything needed to be added or taken away. It works well as a continuation of both First Class and the original films, and they gave McAvoy a lot more to do as young Xavier in this one. It's really quite refreshing to watch a superhero movie where the story feels like it has a lot of weight and is treated seriously.

I'd avoided Apocalypse since I heard bad things about it, but despite that I actually enjoyed it for what it was. It is a huge step down from DOFP though, especially considering the story was one of the stronger aspects of that movie and here the story is pretty weak and disjointed. Oscar Isaac is wasted as Apocalypse, who as a main villain just doesn't feel like that much of a threat. He does big things and is treated like he's a big deal, but I just don't buy it. This series is much more intriguing when the conflict comes from Professor X and Magneto's differing points of views and the discrimination mutants face at the hands of humans. And also just as a side tangent, at this point in the series, with all the shit Magneto has had to endure, he seems to be unequivocally right about his assumptions that humans will never peacefully coexist with mutants. But okay, aside from being an easy movie to pick apart for its flaws, I think it has things about it that are worth watching. While the story isn't very good, the characters are still pretty fun to watch and seeing young versions of characters like Nightcrawler is kind of cool. It also occasionally stumbles upon a legitimately good action sequence in between all the nonsense. They do the Quicksilver scene from DOFP again, but basically just on a bigger scale, which, kind of lazy and banking on the success of a better movie? Sure. Cool as hell? Yes. Also, the Weapon X sequence feels like an apology for how badly the screwed up Wolverine's origin story before and is definitely the best five minutes of the film. All in all, I don't think it's a horrible movie, but I can see why it got the reviews it did, especially as a follow up to DOFP.

Well, I guess like @gaporter is doing with the X-Men, it's time for a Spider-Man rewatch starting from the Tobey days.

tobey-maguire-spider-man.gif

Back