The Super Thread - All Things Marvel/DC/Etc

I think anything beyond a meh, positive or negative; to The Garfield Spider-man is a hyperbolic over reaction. They were fine. Some elements were actually improved upon Rami’s Spider-man. The biggest issue is/was that it was all a bit superfluous, so Sony wouldn’t lose the rights.

Kinda off topic but It reminds me about how decades after the film was released, Warren Beatty, in an attempt to hold onto the rights to Dick Tracy; produced some weird TCM Special about the original movie where Beatty appeared in character as “Dick Tracy” so the rights wouldn’t fall back to the Tribune Co…and it worked!

I think anything beyond a meh, positive or negative; to The Garfield Spider-man is a hyperbolic over reaction. They were fine. Some elements were actually improved upon Rami’s Spider-man. The biggest issue is/was that it was all a bit superfluous, so Sony wouldn’t lose the rights.

I'm aware of my tendency to overreact, for sure, and for what it's worth I only ever watched the first Raimi and hated it too. I think I had a special kind of high expectations for Spider-Man and didn't find them met. I would be curious to revisit them some time for sure. That said, the Garfield one ranks in my top 3 least favourite 21st-century superhero movie experiences (not necessarily top 3 worst films - but my own experiences), alongside X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice.

I'm aware of my tendency to overreact, for sure, and for what it's worth I only ever watched the first Raimi and hated it too. I think I had a special kind of high expectations for Spider-Man and didn't find them met. I would be curious to revisit them some time for sure. That said, the Garfield one ranks in my top 3 least favourite 21st-century superhero movie experiences (not necessarily top 3 worst films - but my own experiences), alongside X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice.
Yikes! Yeah, I didn’t even give Wolverine or Dawn Of Justice a chance. I pretty much gave up on Scott Snyder after Watchmen and Wolverine just looked terrible in the previews. I would rather watch Hugh Jackman in that Robot Boxing movie again than spend time with Wolverine.

Yikes! Yeah, I didn’t even give Wolverine or Dawn Of Justice a chance. I pretty much gave up on Scott Snyder after Watchmen and Wolverine just looked terrible in the previews. I would rather watch Hugh Jackman in that Robot Boxing movie again than spend time with Wolverine.

Yawn of Justice is the only Snyder movie I've seen more than 15 minutes of, and only because I had paid $17 to be there. I don't know that I loathe any other movie more. I couldn't make it more than 10 minutes into Watchmen.

For Wolverine I joined some friends last-minute who were headed to see it. I didn't expect it to be amazing, but I also didn't think it could be THAT bad!

But I would take X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Batman and Robin on an endless loop forever over anything Snyder touches ever again!

Maguire III is a strong contender to push Garfield I out of that spot.

Maybe I have a higher tolerance for bad movies but none of the movies listed so far would be in my bottom 10 cinematic experiences. The only superhero movie I can think of off the top of my head that would make that list is probably the 2015 Fantastic Four, which is legitimately one of the worst films I've ever seen. If I have to choose between that and Zack Snyder, I'm going to go Snyder every time hands down.

Maybe I have a higher tolerance for bad movies but none of the movies listed so far would be in my bottom 10 cinematic experiences. The only superhero movie I can think of off the top of my head that would make that list is probably the 2015 Fantastic Four, which is legitimately one of the worst films I've ever seen. If I have to choose between that and Zack Snyder, I'm going to go Snyder every time hands down.
All three bites at the Fantastic 4 apple have for sure been disasters.

Edit: four, if you count that absolutely crazy Roger Corman production from ‘94.

While we're talking about bad movies, let me interrupt and remind everyone that Logan is an absolute powerhouse of a film. I feel like deconstructions of the superhero genre have become just as passe as superhero movies themselves at this point, but this is an example where the deconstruction really works. How you feel about the movie probably depends on how invested you are in the X-Men movies and as someone who quite literally grew up with Hugh Jackman as Wolverine (the first X-Men movie came out when I was 1), this movie is soul crushing. It's not a fun movie and can be accurately described as watching a childhood hero's health deteriorate right before your very eyes. But though the film is bleak, it ultimately carries the message that heroes will rise up when the need arises and that some things are worth saving. Logan has been described as a "swan song" for Hugh Jackman's Wolverine specifically - and for good reason obviously - but on a bigger scale I think it works as a swan song for the X-Men in general. The fact that the Fox iteration of these characters are now pretty much guaranteed to be passed over in favor of whatever the MCU has planned is perhaps a bit of real life serendipity, because this film, though at times dark and depressing, provides an oddly comforting closure to their saga.

Also, wouldn't have been way cooler if The New Mutants had been about the group of kids at the end? If not for the Disney buy-out, it would have also been a perfect way to reboot the series with some new characters.

Kinda off topic but It reminds me about how decades after the film was released, Warren Beatty, in an attempt to hold onto the rights to Dick Tracy; produced some weird TCM Special about the original movie where Beatty appeared in character as “Dick Tracy” so the rights wouldn’t fall back to the Tribune Co…and it worked!
I remember hearing about this special on a podcast. Now I've googled it and found the entire thing on youtube and am forced to bring it to your attention:

I've only seen the 90s Dick Tracy once, so while I don't quite remember what angle he brought to the character then, this iteration seems to just be "Warren Beatty, but Yellow."

I remember hearing about this special on a podcast. Now I've googled it and found the entire thing on youtube and am forced to bring it to your attention:

I've only seen the 90s Dick Tracy once, so while I don't quite remember what angle he brought to the character then, this iteration seems to just be "Warren Beatty, but Yellow."

Oh Christ, This is bizarre. Well, he got Leonard Maltin, how could he lose!

Kudos to Warren Beatty for pulling this off.

I also kinda rewatch Dick Tracy now.

1363961312081746065.jpg

That sandman scene is great though.

I agree, I don't think the Garfield movies are anything special, pretty "meh" overall. I think they tried to stuff too much into them and didn't give the plot pieces/supporting characters enough time. I just can't handle evil Tobey, something (read: everything) about the character drives me nuts.

Back