The Return of the Challenge Thread - December 2019

Day 5 ~ back in school

Thursday ~ Full Collapse
IMG_20191205_214804.jpg

I was tempted to play circa, the used, brand new, story of the year, taking back Sunday, but Thursday took the prize for this one. Full collapse was such an amazing album for middle school bliss, I am the killer , understanding a car crash , Paris in flames , emotional songs that motivated me to stand up for myself, burn this city down, were lyrics that motivated me to conquer my dreams and still to this day before a basketball game or a presentation this album is a motivating force that keeps pushing me to do great things

Day 5 ~ back in school

Thursday ~ Full Collapse
View attachment 25184

I was tempted to play circa, the used, brand new, story of the year, taking back Sunday, but Thursday took the prize for this one. Full collapse was such an amazing album for middle school bliss, I am the killer , understanding a car crash , Paris in flames , emotional songs that motivated me to stand up for myself, burn this city down, were lyrics that motivated me to conquer my dreams and still to this day before a basketball game or a presentation this album is a motivating force that keeps pushing me to do great things
This was one of my first albums too, middle school age. Must have listened almost every single day of grade 8.

I was thinking about altering the "rules" for the last 2 days....

Day 30 - Best of 2019
Play your favorite new album of the year.

Day 31 - The End
It's the end of the decade, play your favorite album or reissue released in the last 10 years - 2010-2019.

I think it would be fine if people had the same favorite album of the year/decade...I don't think changing to your 2nd or 3rd favorite should be a thing for these days.

Day 5 - good times

The Stone Roses

I was 10 when this first came out and I wasn't into it right then. But it was my third ever vinyl purchase (after Now! something that included Kylie & Jason and Glenn Medeiros, and then Daydream Nation - I know weird tastes). This album speaks to me as much now as it did then. The three musicians are superlative and while Ian Brown isn't going to win any singing competitions he fits the music perfectly. Later on in school, I would have chosen Oasis like @Joe Mac or the Charlatans as they were the soundtrack to my teenage years. But this, this is the one I still love the most from school (which was pretty meh for me too apart from the music)

20191206_084500.jpg

Day 5 - good times

The Stone Roses

I was 10 when this first came out and I wasn't into it right then. But it was my third ever vinyl purchase (after Now! something that included Kylie & Jason and Glenn Medeiros, and then Daydream Nation - I know weird tastes). This album speaks to me as much now as it did then. The three musicians are superlative and while Ian Brown isn't going to win any singing competitions he fits the music perfectly. Later on in school, I would have chosen Oasis like @Joe Mac or the Charlatans as they were the soundtrack to my teenage years. But this, this is the one I still love the most from school (which was pretty meh for me too apart from the music)

View attachment 25204

I was probably a little too young, 6, when this came out to appreciate it first time around but when I went to uni in Manchester in the early 00s I more than made up for it. This was the soundtrack to many a great night out, still makes me smile when I put it on now!

Last edited:
Day 6 - The GOAT
Play your favorite Greatest Hits album - or a compilation from a single artist.

Stax Number Ones

Booker T & The MG's Green Onions
Sam & Dave Hold On! I'm Comin'
Eddie Floyd Knock On Wood
Sam & Dave Soul Man
Otis Redding (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay
Johnnie Taylor Who's Making Love
Rufus Thomas (Do The) Push And Pull (Part I)
Johnnie Taylor Jody's Got Your Girl And Gone
Jean Knight Mr. Big Stuff
Isaac Hayes Theme From Shaft
The Dramatics In The Rain
The Staple Singers I'll Take You There
Johnnie Taylor I Believe In You (You Believe In Me)
The Staple Singers If You're Ready (Come Go With Me)
Shirley Brown Woman To Woman

IMG_20191206_091625.jpg

Day 6 - Goat

Aretha Franklin - The Atlantic Singles Collection 1967-70

Not sure if this is strictly a "greatest hits" but not sure anybody had quite as dazzling a run of singles as these. I have all her albums but hearing these singles like this one after another just underscores their relentless brilliance.

20191206_103226.jpg

Day 6 - The GOAT
Play your favorite Greatest Hits album - or a compilation from a single artist.

The Cars - Greatest Hits

20191206_130305.jpg

Only "greatest hits" album in my collection. Not a fan of these types of albums, but The Cars had so many songs that I didn't even know they were responsible for. Got this as a hand-me-down from my uncle in Hawaii.

Back