The Return of the Challenge Thread - December 2019

Day 3 - Nice package!

Murder by Death - In Bocca Al Lupo

This is actually my second copy of this album. The first I bought in 2009 at a show where they opened for the Gaslight Anthem, who I don't care for, and I got to talk to them a bunch after their set so they signed that one. (The actual record here is from that version.)

I bought this copy last summer. This album is a set of loosely connected stories based on the various circles of hell. It's one of my favourite records of all time. The original CD lyric booklet folded out super long with the roots of the tree on the cover spreading deep down into the earth on one side, and awesome illustrations of the band members on the other. For this version, the actual jacket folds out to about eight feet with that art on both sides. As you'd guess it's kind of a pain to unroll every time, so I keep my other version separate and usually play that one.

IMG_20191205_095251.jpg
IMG_20191205_095035.jpg
IMG_20191205_094941.jpgIMG_20191205_095138.jpgIMG_20191205_095147.jpg

Last edited:
Day 5 - Good times...(or maybe not)

This is not only an album I listened to in high school, this is the album I listened to in high school. Purchased new in 1975 at Ames Departrment Store. Not bad shape for being dragged around almost 45 years.

Lordy, she could tell some tales if she could talk. And times were just fine...

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

20191205_043015.jpg

Day 5 - Good Times

Cage the Elephant - Cage the Elephant

20191205_152901.jpg

Before this album the only music I'd listen to was greatest hits albums of classic rock artist. I was a firm believer that music nowadays was all terrible and their was no use listening to any of it. But then in 2010 I played borderlands and the opening theme of that song was the sickest thing I've ever heard. I immediately pirated the whole album and then that was the only thing I listened to for months. After cage I started branching out and seeing whatever great music I was missing out on. Without this album I wouldn't be the insane music fan I am today

Day 5 - Good Times...(or maybe not)
Play an album you listened to in high school.

Justin Timberlake - Futuresex/Lovesounds

20191205_014029.jpg

It sounded pretty bangin' back then, and it is quite fascinating to realize that a lot of the elements in the songs here (trap, in particular) were ahead of their time for pop and R&B music.

Day 4 ~ Audiophile

Ryo Fukui ~ Scenery

IMG_20191205_210310.jpg

One of those albums where it seems like Ryo Fukui, Satoshi Denpo and Yoshinori Fukui are in my living room playing a personal show for me. After a long day of work this is the kind of album I like to throw on while sipping whisky and let the night pass me by. After working nonstop the past three days in preparation of today's Innovation Days presentation, this was very much needed. 🥃

Day 5 - Good times...(or maybe not) - (they were meh to not great times)

This album was released the summer right before my freshman year - 1991.

While I had heard some Metallica, I never owned any prior to the album. They didn't get much radio play before this album in the area of Illinois we were living in at the time (West Central/Quincy). Guns 'n Roses was much more popular. Country music was the most popular....and I couldn't get into it.

It may have been Enter Sandman that caught my hear, but I knew I had to have the CD - and the next time we "went to town", I bought the long box CD for myself. Soon the rest of Metallica's catalog followed. And all the long box art was cut out and stuck to by bedroom wall, along with this poster - all being purchased at the only music store we had - a Musicland in the mall.

images.jpg

Metallica ‎– Metallica
Blackened Recordings ‎– BLCKND008-1, 1991/2015

Cut by Chris Bellman
Pressed at Pallas

h2IQEC.jpg

qQnzWw.jpg

Back