The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

I am reading Gideon the Ninth. It is a really fun ride. I would kinda/sorta describe it as a more grown up Harry Potter. But darker. And if you read a description, it will probably really focus on the lesbian love story aspect. That is misleading. This is not a book full of lesbian sex. At all. And I'm actually glad about that. The author is superb. I'm really enjoying it and am looking forward to the next release in the series - which I believe is in June.

I thought I'd have tons of time to read in quarantine, and I guess I do, but I'm having trouble focusing. I read a page or two, realize I'm not paying attention, go back and start over, get a news alert on my phone, flick through Twitter, get an hourly check-in from the feeling of dread in the back of my mind, what was I doing? oh yeah reading. Okay. Let's start ov--ding! Donald Trump said WHAT? And so on. I've been struggling through Mr. Splitfoot for weeks now. It's a weird story already, but even more disjointed just visiting it occasionally and each time not remembering much of what came before.

Have less than 200 pages left in Ducks, Newburyport.

It rules.
Are you finding it fatiguing to read at all? I like experimental and long novels but I often find that books with either really long paragraphs or really long chapters are tough to get into. Maybe they're just intimidating.

Are you finding it fatiguing to read at all? I like experimental and long novels but I often find that books with either really long paragraphs or really long chapters are tough to get into. Maybe they're just intimidating.
Sometimes, yes. The sheer, overwhelming volume if it all is one of the main points the book is trying to make.

However, it's written in such a rhythmic way, I tend to fly through it without realizing it.

odd question - does anyone here have a scholastic paperback copy of harry potter and the deathly hallows that they purchased on or around the time the paperback version was released, like 2008-09? if so, does the spine have 'scholastic' written in text or is it the red 's' logo? finally got a copy of this and noticed books 1-6 on my shelf have 'scholastic' in text and 7 has the red 's' logo. my ocd is kicking in and if there's a text version out there i'mma want that one instead. i've farted around google and online shops a bit and have only seen the red 's' logo, so a text one may not exist.

Reactions: Tyr
odd question - does anyone here have a scholastic paperback copy of harry potter and the deathly hallows that they purchased on or around the time the paperback version was released, like 2008-09? if so, does the spine have 'scholastic' written in text or is it the red 's' logo? finally got a copy of this and noticed books 1-6 on my shelf have 'scholastic' in text and 7 has the red 's' logo. my ocd is kicking in and if there's a text version out there i'mma want that one instead. i've farted around google and online shops a bit and have only seen the red 's' logo, so a text one may not exist.
Me. I have both the US and UK copies. US copy says "scholastic" in text and the UK version reads "Bloomsbury". Hardcovers follow a different pattern entirely for the series. The UK hardcover doesn't have "Bloomsbury" in text, just the logo.

I may have more than 2 sets. Heavy emphasis on may. :cool:

picked up a new Kobo! Just finished converting my Kindle library and loading it over. Planning on finishing off the last book in the Broken Earth trilogy and then...I dunno yet. Maybe The Brothers Karamazov? Not being lashed to Amazon is so freeing.

picked up a new Kobo! Just finished converting my Kindle library and loading it over. Planning on finishing off the last book in the Broken Earth trilogy and then...I dunno yet. Maybe The Brothers Karamazov? Not being lashed to Amazon is so freeing.
I loved the Broken Earth Trilogy. That reminds me, has anyone read The City We Became yet? I forgot it came out last month.

I loved the Broken Earth Trilogy. That reminds me, has anyone read The City We Became yet? I forgot it came out last month.
I didn't realize it was out, I'll probably wait for the whole series to be released before I dig into it. I loved the Broken Earth trilogy, looking forward to checking this out.

No! I've heard good things, I think. I'm feeling like I need a change in voice after three books. Has anyone read the Aubrey-Maturin novels?
I read the first one and liked it okay. The language is a bit dry, but the characters are pretty charming. From what I can tell, the first book was meant to stand alone, while subsequent books settle more into a series vibe. I picked up books 2 and 3 at Goodwill and will probably give them a read soon; my wife's coworker swears by them, and I know they're quite loved.

I'm actually on book 5 or 6 of my Vorkosigan readthrough, and I get a similar vibe with those books, just with a sci-fi sheen. The stories and world aren't especially unique, but the focus on characters and their relationships is what stands out.

I read the first one and liked it okay. The language is a bit dry, but the characters are pretty charming. From what I can tell, the first book was meant to stand alone, while subsequent books settle more into a series vibe. I picked up books 2 and 3 at Goodwill and will probably give them a read soon; my wife's coworker swears by them, and I know they're quite loved.

I'm actually on book 5 or 6 of my Vorkosigan readthrough, and I get a similar vibe with those books, just with a sci-fi sheen. The stories and world aren't especially unique, but the focus on characters and their relationships is what stands out.

I’m going to read The Brothers Karamazov next, I think. Then I’ll give the O’Brien a spin. Had not heard of the Vorkosigan Saga! Sounds fun. I tend to be a sci-fi nerd by nature.

I’m going to read The Brothers Karamazov next, I think. Then I’ll give the O’Brien a spin. Had not heard of the Vorkosigan Saga! Sounds fun. I tend to be a sci-fi nerd by nature.
I'm always amazed when I learn about yet another highly regarded, long-running series that I've never even heard of.

Just recently I was going through a storage bin of old books that I had as a teen that my parents had packed away at some point and ran across Raymond Feist's Magician. I think that was one of the first big epic fantasy series I read, and I really enjoyed the first several books up through The King's Buccaneer. After that it had rapidly diminishing returns for me, and I lost track of the series around the time I graduated high school Imagine my surprise when I checked Wikipedia and realized there were almost 20 more novels in the series published since then, and that it only just ended in 2013. I thought I was fairly plugged in but when I thought about it, I hadn't even seen or heard the name Raymond Feist in probably 15 years. Based on Amazon reviews I'm not very tempted to go back and catch up on them, but much like the musical catalog of Sting: the fact that he's been writing them, I respect that.

I'm only halfway through, but I'm reading Kentukis by Samanta Schweblin right now, and it's like a great, quietly disturbing episode of Black Mirror. It's about cute, little, mobile Furby-like robot pets that are all controlled by random strangers on the internet from all over the world. So, some people decide to get the "pets," and others decide to be the "pets." It's exploring a lot of the connection, isolation, voyeurism, and other things that happen on the internet.

It looks like the English translation will be called Little Eyes, and is coming some time next year. I've really liked (if by like you mean been rather freaked out by) her other novel (Fever Dream) and her short stories.

I just saw that this is out in English now, so if any of you want to be creeped out by technology from five minutes in the future, Black Mirror-style, I recommend it. It's more like a collection of loosely connected short stories all involving the cute/creepy tech than a traditional novel, but I'm personally a fan of those kinds of books.

Back