The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

Pretty much everybody else in my high school English class hated Of Mice And Men, but it I loved. When I read Grapes of Wrath a few years later I decided Steinbeck was #1 for American Lit.
I love Steinbeck. Travel’s With Charlie is one of my favorite books.
I enjoyed the Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay, but a more appropriate title would probably be the semi-interesting adventures of Kavalier and sometimes Klay is there. If Chabon's prose wasn't so great, I probably would've found it pretty boring.
of the Chabon books I have read, I would say that K&C is my third favorite. Wonderboys is my number one and Mysteries of Pittsburgh would be at second, I think K&C is phenomenal and worthy of its acclaim I just prefer the other two books more.

I love Steinbeck. Travel’s With Charlie is one of my favorite books.

of the Chabon books I have read, I would say that K&C is my third favorite. Wonderboys is my number one and Mysteries of Pittsburgh would be at second, I think K&C is phenomenal and worthy of its acclaim I just prefer the other two books more.
From there his career has been strange. I found Yiddish Policemen’s Union, Gentlemen of the Road, and Telegraph Avenue all varying levels of boring/disappointing. Haven’t even attempted his most recent doorstop. Knowing that he was in the writers’ room for the dismal Picard has kind of killed most of the remaining goodwill I had from reading Wonder Boys and K&C in college.

From there his career has been strange. I found Yiddish Policemen’s Union, Gentlemen of the Road, and Telegraph Avenue all varying levels of boring/disappointing. Haven’t even attempted his most recent doorstop. Knowing that he was in the writers’ room for the dismal Picard has kind of killed most of the remaining goodwill I had from reading Wonder Boys and K&C in college.
Yeah, Yiddish Police Union was a bit disappointing, that was the first of his books I read immediately upon it’s release and was looking forward to it after reading his first 3 books in quick succession the year prior. The premise was quirky and interesting but it didn’t grab me and took me forever to finish. After that I didn’t read another Chabon title until Moonglow which I enjoyed quite a bit though I not to the level of those first three novels.

I enjoyed the Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay, but a more appropriate title would probably be the semi-interesting adventures of Kavalier and sometimes Klay is there. If Chabon's prose wasn't so great, I probably would've found it pretty boring.
That's why I finished it. I lost interest in the story but loved the writing.
Pretty much everybody else in my high school English class hated Of Mice And Men, but it I loved. When I read Grapes of Wrath a few years later I decided Steinbeck was #1 for American Lit.
I read Grapes in high school, or enough of it to pass a test probably. I re-read it about four years ago and absolutely loved it.
East of Eden is among my favorite books ever. I should probably re-read Of Mice and Men too.

That's why I finished it. I lost interest in the story but loved the writing.

I read Grapes in high school, or enough of it to pass a test probably. I re-read it about four years ago and absolutely loved it.
East of Eden is among my favorite books ever. I should probably re-read Of Mice and Men too.
My Steinbeck journey began with The Pearl in high school, which I loved. Then it was Mice and Men and Cannery Row, which I also ate up. Grapes always got a real bad rap with my classmates, and I didn't pick it up until college; it absolutely blew me away.

I need to reread East of Eden; I also picked that one up independently, but it didn't hit me very hard. In the time since I've seen massive effusive praise for it online (it's Reddit's second-favorite book next to Flowers for Algernon); maybe it's time to pick it up and figure out what the fuss is all about.

Heading to the Indiana area in a couple weeks for the eclipse and thought some Vonnegut would be fun and fine. Might reread Cat's Cradle or Slaughterhouse, but of those I haven't read Mother Night, Galapagos, and Slapstick pique my interest; does anyone who's read those have thoughts?
Galapagos is great!

Heading to the Indiana area in a couple weeks for the eclipse and thought some Vonnegut would be fun and fine. Might reread Cat's Cradle or Slaughterhouse, but of those I haven't read Mother Night, Galapagos, and Slapstick pique my interest; does anyone who's read those have thoughts?

You gonna be able to visit Kurt in Indianapolis?

1000002537.jpg

(Somewhere in a box of old hard drives I have pictures of me here, but for now this'll have to do.)

You gonna be able to visit Kurt in Indianapolis?

View attachment 198728

(Somewhere in a box of old hard drives I have pictures of me here, but for now this'll have to do.)
We'll be in the area so a visit may be in order! It's a family trip, so that could mean a stuffed itinerary or the need to add some side journeys such as this.

Mother Night is very good have yet tor read the other two.

Mother Night is fantastic - definitely my favorite of those three, though all good and interesting

Back