The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

I'm not usually one for non-fiction, but my girlfriend absolutely tore through this book as well, so it's on my list to read soon.

It's one of those books that has been around for a few years and I have a copy, I just never got around to reading it. And when I say I'm tearing through it - I've read 330 pages since Saturday afternoon. It's so good. What I really am enjoying is how little I knew about this HUGE event that really did have a large impact on America.

My only complaint: the text in the book is so effing small. If my eye sight was any worse, I would not be able to read it because I wouldn't be able to see the words.

It's one of those books that has been around for a few years and I have a copy, I just never got around to reading it. And when I say I'm tearing through it - I've read 330 pages since Saturday afternoon. It's so good. What I really am enjoying is how little I knew about this HUGE event that really did have a large impact on America.

My only complaint: the text in the book is so effing small. If my eye sight was any worse, I would not be able to read it because I wouldn't be able to see the words.
Great book! I was shocked at the detail Larson went into in all aspects of the book. I definitely got the feeling I was there.

The effects of the fair can still be seen around Chicago. For example, the Museum of Science and Industry was the Palace of Fine Arts and the Art Institute was the World's Congress Auxiliary Building. The Field Museum and its collection sprung from the fair. Not necessarily fair related but Burnham's skyscraper building skills led to the development of the Loop. And of course, the changes they made to the lakefront are still there today. Going to those places today you definitely feel you've been transported back through time.

Great book! I was shocked at the detail Larson went into in all aspects of the book. I definitely got the feeling I was there.

The effects of the fair can still be seen around Chicago. For example, the Museum of Science and Industry was the Palace of Fine Arts and the Art Institute was the World's Congress Auxiliary Building. The Field Museum and its collection sprung from the fair. Not necessarily fair related but Burnham's skyscraper building skills led to the development of the Loop. And of course, the changes they made to the lakefront are still there today. Going to those places today you definitely feel you've been transported back through time.

I've been looking up the sites and what still remains. I really want to see the inside of Holmes' "hotel". But I think it's gone. I did, however, find this:

I've been looking up the sites and what still remains. I really want to see the inside of Holmes' "hotel". But I think it's gone. I did, however, find this:

Yup, I think it was converted into a post office or something. If you ever get to Chicago, definitely check out the Museum of Science and Industry.

the book y'all are discussing is about HH?? oh lordy, I went on a rabbit hole with that one years ago, not sure if I should get into the book or not 🤔 his hotel was completely demolished and a new building is in its place.

the book y'all are discussing is about HH?? oh lordy, I went on a rabbit hole with that one years ago, not sure if I should get into the book or not 🤔 his hotel was completely demolished and a new building is in its place.

That's the one! The book is about the world's fair AND HH. The chapters alternate. But also intertwine. He was able to make so many people go missing because of the massive influx of visitors into the city for the fair. It is excellent.

That's the one! The book is about the world's fair AND HH. The chapters alternate. But also intertwine. He was able to make so many people go missing because of the massive influx of visitors into the city for the fair. It is excellent.
yes, I am very familiar with the history and whole terrible mess. guess this is going on my list!

I went to Florida this week and wanted something to read on the plane. I picked up Severance by Ling Ma and I'm already 2/3 of the way finished. I'm really enjoying it, such a weird zombie-ish story and I'm intrigued to see where it is going. Hopefully I will be able to finish before my loan of The Testaments finally comes in from the library.
Thanks for this! This is exactly in my wheelhouse and I'd somehow never even heard of it. It's on my to-read list now!

I went to Florida this week and wanted something to read on the plane. I picked up Severance by Ling Ma and I'm already 2/3 of the way finished. I'm really enjoying it, such a weird zombie-ish story and I'm intrigued to see where it is going. Hopefully I will be able to finish before my loan of The Testaments finally comes in from the library.
Thanks for this! This is exactly in my wheelhouse and I'd somehow never even heard of it. It's on my to-read list now!

I read this one a few months back, and had a pretty mixed reaction to it which, upon reread, I still stand by pretty solidly:

Finished Ling Ma's Severance the other night. I thought it was fairly good, though I'm surprised by the effusive praise; people seem to find it to be rather deep and emotional, while I found it removed and numb. I think that was the point, as the author's depicting a numb apocalypse; society fizzles out rather than dies violently. I just found the protagonist to be very disaffected and unmotivated, both before the fever and after. I think people walk through bad decisions (or avoid making any decisions) every day, but it's very hard to depict in fiction without being infuriating. I'm very curious about how literature from today will fare in the long run, as disaffected protagonists who eschew their agency are rather common these days.

I also found it odd that the nature of the apocalypse is being noted in reviews as novel or interesting; when people become "zombies" in this book, they just become fixed in their routines and lose all autonomy. It's a comment on habitual consumerism, but that's been an aspect of zombie fiction since Dawn of the Dead. Again, it's commentary, but also kind of removed and sad. The logistics of this zombie-ism are rather vague as well, as it's never quite explained whether the fevered are undead or on their way to death (at one point it's implied you'd just naturally starve and die when fevered, at another it seems more like zombie-ism, with people actively decaying while remaining at their day jobs).

All in all, it was a fine book, though I'd say that if you're looking for the story of an early-20s woman living off her dead parents' inheritance and smothering her feelings as an apocalyptic event shakes our greater status quo, Otessa Moshfegh's My Year of Rest and Relaxation is a lot more incisive, satirical, and emotional.

If you liked Severance (or didn’t), I found My Year of Rest and Relaxation to be an even better version of similar plot, themes, and tone.

Currently I’m 2/3 or so through The Talented Mister Ripley. I’m loving it; the writing and characterization is intelligent and gripping, while the plot itself is propulsive enough to keep me turning the pages. The book is starting to give me anxiety; I can see how the house of cards is starting to tumble down for this guy, yet he’s lying to himself so hard that the rest of the world is starting to fall into step. It’s fantastic.

I read this one a few months back, and had a pretty mixed reaction to it which, upon reread, I still stand by pretty solidly:

If you liked Severance (or didn’t), I found My Year of Rest and Relaxation to be an even better version of similar plot, themes, and tone.

I have this on my list to get to this year as well!

Finished Talented Mister Ripley; loved it entirely.

About to crack open Trust Exercise by Susan Choi. I’m not sure what to expect; while it’s a National Book Award winner and landed on a lot of best-of lists, I can’t tell if the very polarized Goodreads reviews are a sign of something very good and challenging, or something very bad that’s pretending to be challenging.

RIP Charles Portis. I've only read True Grit, which was quite great. Anyone read anything else by him they'd recommend? Feel like I should dip into the bibliography in tribute.

I just finished The Testaments... and I really wasn't expecting to dislike it as much as I did. That was disappointing because I really liked The Handmaid's Tale and the TV show (though I have criticisms about the most recent season).

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to finish one of the books I started last year and didn't finish yet (Black Leopard, Red Wolf or Because Internet) or start something new (probably the memoir Uncanny Valley).

Just finished The Beautiful Ones. Wish Prince had finished it. What they did with the book was interrsting. The original treatment to Purple Rain would have been a much more interesting movie that no one would have seen.

I didn’t hate-read Trust Exercise, but I definitely barreled through it hoping to find a point where the book explained itself to me. All the reviews, accolades, and Obama year-end lists really propped this one up to be something special and incisive, but I found it to be…well, when I described the plot to my wife, she said “so it’s a soap opera?”

Thematically, the book’s trying to do some really good work. I don’t think it succeeds, but I read a couple of articles about it once I was done, and I appreciated it more for what others gleaned from it than what I got out of reading it. In reality, I found it overwritten, the characters were incredibly thin, and its points are made clumsily and overtly. Also, the depiction of high school sex is really weird and gross; at one point the fifteen year-old protagonists strip down completely and do the dirty deed in a high school hallway during school hours. It’s written as passionate and urgent, but I simply found it gross and pretty out of character for teenagers.

A major theme of the book is how men in positions of power (especially charismatic teacher types) are given license to abuse those around them, and how we can blind ourselves to that fact for the sake of hero worship. This is illustrated through a drama teacher, Mr Kingsley, who teaches an acting class in a liberal arts high school in the 80s. The first scene involves him turning off the lights in the classroom and having the students grope around and identify one another by touch. There’s no reveal here; the guy is an irresponsible creep due for a lawsuit, and it baffled me that the book was supposed to pull the curtain back on the guy; he’s a monster from the outset. All of the adults are irresponsible monsters or they’re completely absent, which lends an air of cartoonishness to it all.

What kept me going through the first half was having read in a review (minor spoiler) that the first half of the book turns out to be the text of a novel written by that section’s narrator a decade after the fact. The story pulls out to a character sidelined in the first half, Karen, who knows “what really happened” during the first half. Unfortunately, the reckoning promised by such a setup doesn’t come; Karen isn’t there to set the record straight so much as to shine some light on her own Personal Drama. Karen is an even worse narrator, jumping between first and third person willy-nilly, going on pages-long tangents about what the word “memory” means. From there, the story sets its sights on a revenge that isn’t very satisfying and can be seen from a mile away (when you have someone with a capital-u-m Ulterior Motive providing a prop gun for a play and then explaining Brandon Lee and the concept of Chekov’s Gun in the same scene, the tension drains a bit).

I wouldn’t discourage anyone from reading this book; in fact, the opposite. As I mentioned, it seems this book gave people a lot to think on, and I’ve gotten a lot out of that, more than I’ve gotten out of the book itself. So please check it out, so we can either have a respectful debate over its pros and cons, or so we can both dunk on it relentlessly.

Last edited:
Back