The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

I read Take It Like a Man - Boy George's autobiography. I expected it to be a fun ride. Nah, it was meh. There is so little emotion in it. I kept imagining Boy George in an interrogation room being questioned by a detective and this is essentially a transcript of his responses. Very matter of fact, a few snide quips thrown in, lots of "this wasn't my fault, it was theirs" and name dropping. Just a vomit of dates, places and names of who was there. It was like reading an almanac.

Boy George does mention how much he hates Duran Duran multiple times. But never why. And that kinda summarizes the whole book. No substance.

I'm reading "This is How You Lose the Time War" at the moment. It's an epistolary kind of like a sci fi Killing Eve where two agents for opposing groups send each other letters through time, and it rules.

I'm in the Holds line for this one through my library. It sounds like good stuff.

Next up is Ducks, Newburyport and I'm stoked.

Let me know how this goes! It seems like an engrossing read, but it also sounds like a challenge.

I’m gonna finally finish the Millennium trilogy next:
View attachment 33659
I read the first two books in the series pretty quickly and easily like 8 years ago and then could not get more than a quarter of the way through this one. Tried multiple times to pick it back up but I think I was just burnt out on the series by that point.

Interested to hear your thoughts on it, though - it’s still sitting patiently on my shelf, so maybe you’ll inspire me to finally finish it.

This one hits the lonely, book-obsessed kid in me hard. Cussler (along with Crichton) wrote the first "grown-up" books I read in middle school. They weren't Great Literature, but they were ripping yarns that moved quick and gave me a small history lesson. And I remember finding it wild that he'd occasionally write himself into his books (his propensity for writing his car collection into his books was a bit less charming). Might have to crack open Sahara in the coming weeks.

This one hits the lonely, book-obsessed kid in me hard. Cussler (along with Crichton) wrote the first "grown-up" books I read in middle school. They weren't Great Literature, but they were ripping yarns that moved quick and gave me a small history lesson. And I remember finding it wild that he'd occasionally write himself into his books (his propensity for writing his car collection into his books was a bit less charming). Might have to crack open Sahara in the coming weeks.

Man, my parents were big big Dirk Pitt fans back in the day. They'll be sad to hear this news.

I was pretty thrilled to see the announcement this morning that Marilynne Robinson is releasing a new work of fiction.

I'm slightly less thrilled to see that it's another in the Gilead series. Gilead itself is an incredible book that I really, really love; Home and Lila have been diminishing returns, IMO (albeit still achievements that most writers would kill for). Robinson is SUCH a good writer. I'm sure Jack will be great, but I'd still like to see her do something different.

Finished Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson last week. It’s not anything deep or amazing, but moves quickly and with a pretty sharp sense of humor. And then I moved on to:

Sword of the Lictor by Gene Wolfe. I forget if I’ve talked about it here yet, but that’s book 3 of Book of the New Sun. The first two books were a bit chore-ish, and while I appreciated the writing for those two, it wasn’t until this third one that I’ve really sunk into the groove and enjoyed this series on its own terms.

Now I’m diving into some Charles Portis (RIP). Masters of Atlantis; it’s pretty good, though I’m kinda stalled out 1/3 of the way through it. There’s not so much plot as there is a list of things people do over a long span of time. I can’t tell if it’s all setup to whatever the story will be, or if this is the story.

I read Smoke Gets In Your Eyes. It's a memoir of a woman that works in a crematory. It was a very interesting read. She advocates that we, as a nation, need to look at death a bit differently. Compelling read. Full of lots of historical anecdotes and cultural views on death.

I just started City of Brass. Anyone read it? I didn't realize it was as long as it is. I honestly don't know a lot about it.

I read Smoke Gets In Your Eyes. It's a memoir of a woman that works in a crematory. It was a very interesting read. She advocates that we, as a nation, need to look at death a bit differently. Compelling read. Full of lots of historical anecdotes and cultural views on death.

I just started City of Brass. Anyone read it? I didn't realize it was as long as it is. I honestly don't know a lot about it.
This interests me greatly. would you recommend it?

i ask as, Culturally, the Portuguese have someone stand vigil over their body after death. Even through cremation. When my wife’s father died, none of his sons said they could bare to do that for their dad as they were so overwhelmed with emotion. So I did it. It was a singularly surreal experience to help with the cremation, be the one to push the button, and wait there for 4 hours with him. So I’m wondering if this book would appeal to me

This interests me greatly. would you recommend it?

i ask as, Culturally, the Portuguese have someone stand vigil over their body after death. Even through cremation. When my wife’s father died, none of his sons said they could bare to do that for their dad as they were so overwhelmed with emotion. So I did it. It was a singularly surreal experience to help with the cremation, be the one to push the button, and wait there for 4 hours with him. So I’m wondering if this book would appeal to me

I absolutely would recommend it. It is not a hard read. And given your experience, it would definitely appeal to you. She believes we have removed ourselves too much from death and advocates more of an acceptance of the process, just like other cultures.

Just reread The Outsiders for the first time in years, since my daughter was reading it for 7th grade. It's interesting revisiting books like this again and having conversations w/ her about them. Really enjoyed the re-read, i had forgotten how well defined each of the characters were. And I had no idea S.E. Hinton was only 16 when she wrote it.

Just reread The Outsiders for the first time in years, since my daughter was reading it for 7th grade. It's interesting revisiting books like this again and having conversations w/ her about them. Really enjoyed the re-read, i had forgotten how well defined each of the characters were. And I had no idea S.E. Hinton was only 16 when she wrote it.
WHAT? I didn't know that! I was obsessed with SE Hinton when I was younger. I should re-read those too. Are you going to watch the movie together ?

WHAT? I didn't know that! I was obsessed with SE Hinton when I was younger. I should re-read those too. Are you going to watch the movie together ?

They are watching it in school. We've watched portions at home though since her and her friends are currently obsessed with it.

Edited to add - IMDB says that Tom Waits is in it. Guess we are watching the whole thing this weekend!

Last edited:

I attempted to read City of Brass, I ended up giving up about halfway through because I was getting bored. Though I also was listening to the audiobook and I think the narrator wasn't a good fit for the book. It has a really interesting setting though, a lot of other people loved it and I'm kind of picky about fantasy. I hope you like it!

I am determined to finally finish Black Leopard, Red Wolf. I started it the week it came out last year, I'm now 71% finished and it seems like there is still so much left. I like the plot that's buried in there somewhere but it's very slow going.

I attempted to read City of Brass, I ended up giving up about halfway through because I was getting bored. Though I also was listening to the audiobook and I think the narrator wasn't a good fit for the book. It has a really interesting setting though, a lot of other people loved it and I'm kind of picky about fantasy. I hope you like it!

I am determined to finally finish Black Leopard, Red Wolf. I started it the week it came out last year, I'm now 71% finished and it seems like there is still so much left. I like the plot that's buried in there somewhere but it's very slow going.
So far, it's.... fine. I'm about 20% through. I haven't really figured out if it's building to something or what. It just meanders along very slowly revealing itself. I'm not sure what the cohesive plot is. I agree, it is so far kinda boring. I'm such a completionist though, I'd say there is an 90 % chance I'll continue on.

I have Black Leopard, Red Wolf in my queue too! Lol.

Using my house time to tackle a brick of a book. 700-odd pages. Really enjoying it so far, but it’s going to take me ages as there is a Spotify playlist with all the songs mentioned in it, and I’m trying to listen as I go.

Currently pre-Bill Haley, and it’s amazing the difference in popular music from then to now.

8FC53C5F-971B-43A8-9C86-AAB883CCE15A.jpeg

Using my house time to tackle a brick of a book. 700-odd pages. Really enjoying it so far, but it’s going to take me ages as there is a Spotify playlist with all the songs mentioned in it, and I’m trying to listen as I go.

Currently pre-Bill Haley, and it’s amazing the difference in popular music from then to now.

View attachment 37314
Finished this today.

It's very good, particularly if you're British. It's definitely a history of pop through the author's lens: rock is pretty much ignored in this, as are albums, although it does do a lot of crate digging for pop historians. Some big bands are dismissed pretty harshly (Elton John isn't allowed to enjoy his 70's prime, Queen's entire career is dismissed, and Radiohead are written off in half a sentence), but overall it's an enjoyable history of chart music.

Back