The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

Our Band Could Be Your Life is very high on my to read list...

It's such a good book and I'm not even a huge fan of any of the bands he writes about. It's so full of good stories and characters to root for.

I am interested in that Mark Lanegan book as well. Especially after his beef with Liam Gallagher.

I'm glad we are talking about rock memoirs because I came in here to rave about Grant & I: Inside and Outside the Go-Between by Robert Forster. It is really one of the best rock memoirs I've ever read. As a writer he is up there with Patti Smith and Morrissey and the story of he and the other co-founder of The Go-Betweens Grant McLennan is so touching, sad, beautiful and full of joy. Just like their music. I'd really recommend it if you have any interest at all.

Has anyone read The Expanse series by James S.A. Corey? I had a friend recommend it to me yesterday and was looking for some further feedback.

Thank you, friends!
I thought it was great page-turny sci-fi pulp. I read up to whatever one jumps forward to them being old. Seemed weird so I never bought it.

Has anyone read The Expanse series by James S.A. Corey? I had a friend recommend it to me yesterday and was looking for some further feedback.

Thank you, friends!

I read about 3/4 of the first one, maybe even more. It starts off pretty promising, hums along at a decent pace, but as I neared the end, I didn't see the point and just dropped off. As others said, it's a bit generic, but still pulpy. I've heard people say they get better, or at least it seems like a situation where if you like the first one you'll be all-in on the others.

I thought it was great page-turny sci-fi pulp. I read up to whatever one jumps forward to them being old. Seemed weird so I never bought it.
Wait. That sounds pretty cool.

I read about 3/4 of the first one, maybe even more. It starts off pretty promising, hums along at a decent pace, but as I neared the end, I didn't see the point and just dropped off. As others said, it's a bit generic, but still pulpy. I've heard people say they get better, or at least it seems like a situation where if you like the first one you'll be all-in on the others.

Wait. That sounds pretty cool.
I think I was a little burnt out on them and the beginning sample I read don't totally grab me so I just stopped and haven't gone back. It might be great! Not sure.

Looked it up and I think that means I read six of them.

Recently completed:

Go Ahead in the Rain: Notes to a Tribe Called Quest by Hanif Abdurraqib - This was absolutely fantastic. Can't recommend enough to hip hop fans.

Actual Air by David Berman - Very beautiful.

Currently reading:

The End of Policing by Alex Vitale (spoiler alert - ACAB)

I don't know if you're a fan of her (you should), and at this point of life I don't know I this is true because this has been postponed for seven years already, but this time it seems like it's really happening:

I don't know if you're a fan of her (you should), and at this point of life I don't know I this is true because this has been postponed for seven years already, but this time it seems like it's really happening:

Hyperbole and a Half is such a great book. I hope she is doing well. I stopped keeping up with her after she disappeared for a it.

Hyperbole and a Half is such a great book. I hope she is doing well. I stopped keeping up with her after she disappeared for a it.

The story about her depression deserves a Nobel Prize. It's so funny and so sad and so real, all the same time.
I knew this book was supposed to be out on 2016. On 2014 she said she's started writing it, but I guess that after her sister's death she must have gone through some rough times. I hope she's ok now, and if this release date is real, maybe she's better.

Just finished A Man by Keiichiro Hirano. A thoroughly enjoyable modern mystery about identity in a culture I knew almost nothing about. It was a freebie as part of Amazon’s First Reads program but I would have happily paid full price for it. Apparently this writer has won shedloads of awards but this is his first novel translated into English.

I’m tossing up whether to go with The Memory Police or Vernon God Little next.

Just finished A Man by Keiichiro Hirano. A thoroughly enjoyable modern mystery about identity in a culture I knew almost nothing about. It was a freebie as part of Amazon’s First Reads program but I would have happily paid full price for it. Apparently this writer has won shedloads of awards but this is his first novel translated into English.

I’m tossing up whether to go with The Memory Police or Vernon God Little next.

I just finished “a man” tonight as well. I enjoyed it. It hit me emotionally at first but as the story drifted from Rie to Kido, it became more about the search

FYI, the Folio Society is having their annual half-price summer sale on certain titles. A couple of gems in there if you are so inclined.

FYI, the Folio Society is having their annual half-price summer sale on certain titles. A couple of gems in there if you are so inclined.

If products aren't specifically listed as 'limited,' do they get restocked on a regular basis? I'd love a nice copy of Three Men in a Boat.

I think I'm about to sucker myself into buying a bunch of Thomas Hardy at 50% off.

Reactions: Tyr
If products aren't specifically listed as 'limited,' do they get restocked on a regular basis? I'd love a nice copy of Three Men in a Boat.

I think I'm about to sucker myself into buying a bunch of Thomas Hardy at 50% off.
Historically, no, Folio Society will limit their presses on most of their catalog. So even if it isn't listed as limited, they will not be available on the main site once they have sold out. However, there are some exceptions with their more popular offerings, mostly Dickens and Bronte though. Another caveat, is that oftentimes years will go by before they decide to press a new edition of a title they have previously released. I collect a lot of FS editions by Dostoyevsky and they have done multiple editions separated out by 7-10yrs. The editions will generally contain different types of art inserts by a different artist and sometimes a different forward section.

If I was loaded, I'd buy most of these.
Oh man, SAME! I collect a decent amount of Folio Society editions but they have such a storied history and so many great titles they've done over the years.

Historically, no, Folio Society will limit their presses on most of their catalog. So even if it isn't listed as limited, they will not be available on the main site once they have sold out. However, there are some exceptions with their more popular offerings, mostly Dickens and Bronte though. Another caveat, is that oftentimes years will go by before they decide to press a new edition of a title they have previously released. I collect a lot of FS editions by Dostoyevsky and they have done multiple editions separated out by 7-10yrs. The editions will generally contain different types of art inserts by a different artist and sometimes a different forward section.
Well, dammit.

• Cheers
Taschen had a 3 for 2 sale this weekend on their more affordable Bibliotheca Universalis photo book series and I thought I'd purchased something but I never got a confirmation e-mail and it looks like I was never charged, but Deep Discount also carries a lot of those books.

Here's one of the books I was planning to buy "Alex Steinweiss: Inventor of the Modern Album Cover" - they have it for only $5: https://www.deepdiscount.com/alex-steinweiss-the-inventor-of-the-modern-album-cover/9783836557764

Seems like a good deal for 552 pages haha.

Here's a link to the page on the Taschen site with a peek inside the book: https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/ca...ss_the_inventor_of_the_modern_album_cover.htm.

They have a some other books in the series that are focused on album covers, too: Jazz Covers, 1000 Record Covers, Funk and Soul Covers.

Back