The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

I finished Know My Name by Chanel Miller.

She is an amazing writer. But we all knew that after her 17 page victim statement went viral.

This was such an important read. It was so spot on - why women don't report sexual assaults. Just reading the book was work. She LIVED it.

I highly recommend this book for anyone that cares about women, is slightly feminist, wonders about the system re: sexual assault, just wants some excellent, raw, emotional writing.

What are your all's favorite new books of the year so far, or most anticipated upcoming books? Looking for something to spend money on.

What are your all's favorite new books of the year so far, or most anticipated upcoming books? Looking for something to spend money on.
I tend to be behind on new releases because I check things out at the library and often have to wait a bit for the newer ones. That being said, these are some of the books I've loved recently:

Gideon the Ninth - fantasy. Such well written characters. A 2nd book is coming out in June.

A Brief History of Seven Killings - I can not recommend this enough. And I feel like you would enjoy it based on your commitment to that Ducks stream of consciousness book.

The Other Americans - someone in here recommended it. And it is an epic novel. I could't put it down.

has anyone braved the recently released autobiography of Mark Lanegan- Sing backward and weep?

god, it's a dark dark dark book.
I'm not sure honestly how I feel about it.
while I was looking for truths and a view of the Seattle scene from the inside....
I feel that I ended up looking at Mark's disintegrating life and total nihilism, with only modest access to his musical mind and his musical history.
Heroin stories make for 80% of this book....

I guess that, since this book finishes with the disbanding of the Screening Trees and his own descent to hell, I am hoping for some sort of redemption story for the next chapter, when he'll finally start becoming a more accomplished musician and songwriter and release his solo projects.

has anyone braved the recently released autobiography of Mark Lanegan- Sing backward and weep?

while I was looking for truths and a view of the Seattle scene from the inside....
I feel that I ended up looking at Mark's disintegrating life and total nihilism, with only modest access to his musical mind and his musical history.

I guess that, since this book finishes with the disbanding of the Screening Trees and his own descent to hell, I am hoping for some sort of redemption story for the next chapter, when he'll finally start becoming a more accomplished musician and songwriter and release his solo projects.
I read Everybody Loves Our Town by Mark Yarm, which was kind of an oral history of the Seattle scene. I love the music from that time, but virtually everyone comes across as a total arsehole, so the stories coming out of this book don't surprise me. Reading his book kind of feels like slowing down to have a look at a car crash, so I don't know if I can face it.

I read Everybody Loves Our Town by Mark Yarm, which was kind of an oral history of the Seattle scene. I love the music from that time, but virtually everyone comes across as a total arsehole, so the stories coming out of this book don't surprise me. Reading his book kind of feels like slowing down to have a look at a car crash, so I don't know if I can face it.
the Lanegan's book IS an accident in slow motion.

generally I end up always dissatisfied upon reading musician autobiographies.
their warts and all approach turn my naive image of the musician that inspired me as a young man into pricks that operated (and in most cases continue to) pushed by their narcissism and a bloated perception of themselves.

one book I truly loved, not exactly on the Seattle scene, is Our Band Could be Your Life.
It covers the decade prior to the explosion of the grunge scene, and it's way less nihilistic and more inspiring.

the Lanegan's book IS an accident in slow motion.

generally I end up always dissatisfied upon reading musician autobiographies.
their warts and all approach turn my naive image of the musician that inspired me as a young man into pricks that operated (and in most cases continue to) pushed by their narcissism and a bloated perception of themselves.

one book I truly loved, not exactly on the Seattle scene, is Our Band Could be Your Life.
It covers the decade prior to the explosion of the grunge scene, and it's way less nihilistic and more inspiring.
Our Band Could Be Your Life is very high on my to read list...

remaining in the theme of autobiographies of musicians, I have now embarked in reading the life story of Adrian Thawes
Tricky - Hell is round the corner.
if this books confirms one thing, is that Tricky continues not to care about what people thinks of him and lives a truly independent artist life
I am finding this read much more enjoyable that my previous read (Mark Lanegan) despite both lifes being quite dark and "dangerous".
Spurred by the read I re-discovered the most recent produce of Tricky's production, which I sort of abandoned after Juxtapose.

Now I'm enjoying False Idols and yes, the guy is still a genius independent musician and producer.

<edited to correct several grammar mistakes>

Last edited:
I was browsing the ebook sale on Amazon and ended up buying way too many things since they were only $2-4. 5 ebooks for $10 is still cheaper than the usual 1 for $12 and I was planning on reading them soon anyway.

A Brief History of Seven Killings was only $2, I'm gonna give Marlon James another shot soon I think. I also picked up Love in the Time of Cholera and A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet among others.

I was browsing the ebook sale on Amazon and ended up buying way too many things since they were only $2-4. 5 ebooks for $10 is still cheaper than the usual 1 for $12 and I was planning on reading them soon anyway.

A Brief History of Seven Killings was only $2, I'm gonna give Marlon James another shot soon I think. I also picked up Love in the Time of Cholera and A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet among others.
I absolutely loved A Brief History of Seven Killings. Loved it. I hope you do too. :)

Has anyone read The Expanse series by James S.A. Corey? I had a friend recommend it to me yesterday and was looking for some further feedback.

Thank you, friends!

Has anyone read The Expanse series by James S.A. Corey? I had a friend recommend it to me yesterday and was looking for some further feedback.

Thank you, friends!
I've had the first one on my Kindle for several years but have never gotten to it. I've heard they're good, but curious to hear what others have to say also.

• Love
Reactions: Tyr

I got my copy yesterday and read nearly half of it. I really like it so far. Yes, it's dark and filled with more drugs stories than one probably wants to read, but that's what his life consisted of for a long time. I think he even explicitly said that while working on his second solo album. He cared more about where he'd get his next high. Hoping to finish it today or tomorrow.

Also, after reading Anthony Kiedis' autobiography I was not surprised reading Mark's story about Anthony's dad. Wild.

Thank you, friends!
I've read the first 3. High art they are not, but pretty fun pulp.

Back