The Pro-Ject Pergola - Questions, Answers, Advice & Chat

@kvetcha is right right, the blue is a better stylus in every way, big improvement in every way and the stylus swap is literally a clip on and off affair. The sound you talk about though is Grado territory though. Mounting a cart isn’t hard but it takes patience and care, there are a few of us who’ve done it now and some recommendations and tips knocking about around here.

My first cartridge swap was an incredibly stressful experience. It gets better with familiarity and the correct tools, but gracious, what a fiddly process.

My first cartridge swap was an incredibly stressful experience. It gets better with familiarity and the correct tools, but gracious, what a fiddly process.

Oh I agree but with the correct tools and a bit of care and patience it’s certainly doable by most, even if those damned thin project wires have you gritting your teeth whilst you do it!

Oh I agree but with the correct tools and a bit of care and patience it’s certainly doable by most, even if those damned thin project wires have you gritting your teeth whilst you do it!

This was my problem! My first swap was on a Debut Carbon DC and the tonearm wires are like spiderwebs.

Had no such issues on the Ultradeck.

This was my problem! My first swap was on a Debut Carbon DC and the tonearm wires are like spiderwebs.

Had no such issues on the Ultradeck.

Yeah I’ve done two on it and it’s fine and gets a little less nerve wracking each time but yeah I’d like them to be a little bit less fragile lol.

it seems like for most people who aren't going into the N+G fan favs like the pioneer or the mofi deck you are either on a pro-ject or you are on a rega turntable..

is this some kind of objective quality or is it just something to do with them being the biggest marketing wise

Being readily available is a big factor. Also price points country to country are a significant factor.

On the other side of the pond I'd likely gone with a Rega over a Mofi.
I factored in 3 things: Aesthetics, sound (that I pulled from reviews), and availability. It just so happened that I had some gift cards for Amazon and pulled the trigger that way.

My next round will likely pull from the first 2 things, leaving availability on the table in favor of something more desirable.

Being readily available is a big factor. Also price points country to country are a significant factor.

On the other side of the pond I'd likely gone with a Rega over a Mofi.

See below the 10, actually maybe I’d include the 8, I’d not touch the rega. The lack of adjustability and flexibility with cartridges make it a big no no. Also even with the 8 and 10 the power supply/speed change is every bit as damn fugly as all the other rega electronics. Industrial design should be a big part of something costing multiple thousands.

I think with rega, and particularly pro-ject, the volume of production makes them very attractive from a features at price point this side of the ocean. At that price point a new classic evo without a cart for £1050 would be hugely tempting to me. I’d add an Opus3 for £300 and think that’d hit a really nice sweet spot.

I think technics needs to be added into consideration in that list too.

Last edited:

On the other side of the pond I'd likely gone with a Rega over a Mofi

Agreed, but having been a Rega owner, I would have looked long and hard at a Funk Firm LSD (Little Super Deck) or the Technics GR.

See below the 10, actually maybe I’d include the 8, I’d not touch the rega. The lack of adjustability and flexibility with cartridges make it a big no no. Also even with the 8 and 10 the power supply/speed change is every bit as damn fugly as all the other rega electronics. Industrial design should be a big part of something costing multiple thousands.

I think with rega, and particularly pro-ject, the volume of production makes them very attractive from a features at price point this side of the ocean. At that price point a new classic evo without a cart for £1050 would be hugely tempting to me. I’d add an Opus3 for £300 and think that’d hit a really nice sweet spot.

I think technics needs to be added into the list for consideration in that list too.
Totally agree. It's one of those situations where you don't necessarily want to piss on people's happiness when they have a table like an R/P3 or 6 but since I switched over I kinda find myself asking why I took so long. If I'm investing in £150 copies of blood on the tracks, AAA limited runs etc then it stands to reason that the actual kit presenting them should be as close to the peak as possible. I'm in the process of replaying all my higher quality pressings and given the only change is the tt and cart its been a revelation.

So plus one to adding technics to the mix... And removable headshells take a load of stress off too

Agreed, but having been a Rega owner, I would have looked long and hard at a Funk Firm LSD (Little Super Deck) or the Technics GR.

That lsd looks interesting, and it’s a pretty enough table too if you get the one with wood edging. Also the fact that they’ll let you spec it up to use their headline FX3D arm with the detachable headshell 🤔

its interesting that this new debut carbon does not use the ortofon red in the US.. going with a sumiko rainier instead now

its interesting that this new debut carbon does not use the ortofon red in the US.. going with a sumiko rainier instead now
Same with the X2 which ships by default with a Sumiko Moonstone cartridge in the U.S., however, other markets receive the X2 with a Pick it 2M Silver MM cartridge, manufactured by Ortofon for Pro-Ject exclusively.

I’d take the Sumiko.

I’m definitely curious to hear the Moonstone. Seen a fair number of very happy users about. I suspect, thinking ahead, when I put together a second setup, it’d better have a removable headshell with adjustable VTA with all this cartridge curiosity!

Then again, the Debut Carbon EVO at $499 in the States with the Sumiko seems like a pretty bang up deal.

Back