The Pro-Ject Pergola - Questions, Answers, Advice & Chat

Look interesting. I’ll look forward to hearing some feedback on it. That said it’d want to be getting some red hot reviews for me to trust pro-ject to deliver a phono stage at £1,300
Where did you see the price? I was looking everywhere for it and couldn't find it.

Planning on making an upgrade on my ProJect Debut Carbon. Currently tracking with a 2M Red (yes, basic, I know but it’s still has about 3/4 life on it)
Should I upgrade needle and what would the next step up be? I see some resistance to Blue.
Or... upgrade to acrylic platter?

Planning on making an upgrade on my ProJect Debut Carbon. Currently tracking with a 2M Red (yes, basic, I know but it’s still has about 3/4 life on it)
Should I upgrade needle and what would the next step up be? I see some resistance to Blue.
An acrylic plater and the 2M Blue would make a significant difference to your overall sound.

Thats a really difficult question because long term you really want both. I’d personally say for now prioritise the stylus swap to the blue, the red is a bit of a dog, you’ll see a huge jump with a change to a blue. There shouldn’t be resistance to blue? It’s actually the only cartridge in the 2M range that I like, it’s a solid little player at its price. I’d start a little savings pot then for the acrylic platter as the next upgrade!

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right thread but I'm a Debut Carbon owner and looking for some upgrade advice. I've currently got the stock 2M Red and platter, Cambridge 551P pre amp, Integra DTR 40.4 receiver and Pioneer SP-FS52s. My budget is around $1800 and my initial inclination was to upgrade to 2M Blue, acrylic platter and a Musical Fidelity V90 phono stage and use the rest of the budget on speakers but wondering if a new TT would make the most impact. So many choices and not sure which pieces to upgrade to make the greatest impact overall. I would love a warmer sounding setup with a bigger soundstage if possible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Not sure if this is the right thread but I'm a Debut Carbon owner and looking for some upgrade advice. I've currently got the stock 2M Red and platter, Cambridge 551P pre amp, Integra DTR 40.4 receiver and Pioneer SP-FS52s. My budget is around $1800 and my initial inclination was to upgrade to 2M Blue, acrylic platter and a Musical Fidelity V90 phono stage and use the rest of the budget on speakers but wondering if a new TT would make the most impact. So many choices and not sure which pieces to upgrade to make the greatest impact overall. I would love a warmer sounding setup with a bigger soundstage if possible.

I would jump from the Project ship while you still can! Your money is better spent elsewhere. The 2M Blue is definitely a better tracker but still suffers from IGD, the 8.6 inch arm doesn’t help either. The acrylic platter is largely cosmetic, although it does help with static, and also provides a different soundstage. Once you spend the money upgrading, you are almost at the price of a new table.
If you are looking for something growing potential, Technics offers fantastic decks from $1000. I personally recommend the Sl 1200 MK7 because it allows for the easiest setup. The VTA is adjustable on the fly, and you can swap carts just by swapping headshells. You can’t go wrong with one of the new Technics decks and a ATVM95ML.

I feel your pain, and I use that word because, for me at least, there's a fair bit of angst associated with the thought of dropping a good sum of cash with the goal of changing your listening experience, especially when you aren't sure whether the decision you make will be the 'best' one. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that your speakers might be the weakest point in your system. I don't know that for a fact or from experience, but looking online and seeing them sell for around $300 each, I suspect they are not high-quality.

Recently, there has been a lot of excitement on this site for the Wharfdale Linton speakers, which run well below your budget (~$1200) for the speakers and their stands. Everything I've read about these speakers suggests (unbelievably, but nonetheless consistently) they perform well above their price point. I imagine this would be an awe inspiring upgrade for you, and would still keep open the option of a new (and good) cart. Just one idea, but check out this thread.

You have a really healthy budget there. The 2M blue is a definite step up from the red. If you had the esprit sb with the acrylic platter I’d say that’d be a solid move but as you’re looking at the platter too I’d question putting $250 more into a $400 table, an upgrade may be a better option as you have a budget for it.

I’d avoid the V90 and instead look at the LX2 LPS, it reviews really well and has a nice following around here and doesn’t cost a huge amount more.

As for speakers, I have the Lintons, they are awesome, if you’re factoring a new table and phono though they might blow the budget.

I would jump from the Project ship while you still can! Your money is better spent elsewhere. The 2M Blue is definitely a better tracker but still suffers from IGD, the 8.6 inch arm doesn’t help either. The acrylic platter is largely cosmetic, although it does help with static, and also provides a different soundstage. Once you spend the money upgrading, you are almost at the price of a new table.
If you are looking for something growing potential, Technics offers fantastic decks from $1000. I personally recommend the Sl 1200 MK7 because it allows for the easiest setup. The VTA is adjustable on the fly, and you can swap carts just by swapping headshells. You can’t go wrong with one of the new Technics decks and a ATVM95ML.
Thanks for the recommendation. Coincidentally, I was researching the SL 1500 as an option so I will check out the MK7/ATVM95ML combo. How do you think the ATVM95ML compares to the 2M Red?

Thanks for the recommendation. Coincidentally, I was researching the SL 1500 as an option so I will check out the MK7/ATVM95ML combo. How do you think the ATVM95ML compares to the 2M Red?

If you’re considering cartridges I suppose what do you think of the red? How is it lacking for you and what would you like to add?

You should also have a read through this thread for some good comparisons and experiences.

If you’re looking direct drive I’d make sure to have the pioneer plx-1000 on your list too.

I feel your pain, and I use that word because, for me at least, there's a fair bit of angst associated with the thought of dropping a good sum of cash with the goal of changing your listening experience, especially when you aren't sure whether the decision you make will be the 'best' one. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that your speakers might be the weakest point in your system. I don't know that for a fact or from experience, but looking online and seeing them sell for around $300 each, I suspect they are not high-quality.

Recently, there has been a lot of excitement on this site for the Wharfdale Linton speakers, which run well below your budget (~$1200) for the speakers and their stands. Everything I've read about these speakers suggests (unbelievably, but nonetheless consistently) they perform well above their price point. I imagine this would be an awe inspiring upgrade for you, and would still keep open the option of a new (and good) cart. Just one idea, but check out this thread.
Yes, definitely feeling like new speakers would make a big difference. I bought these because they got good reviews for entry-levels on a few sites (like CNET) and I found the pair on sale for $125 several years back. But they do sound too bright to me.

I started reading the thread and the Lintons look really nice! Will definitely do some more reading on those. Thanks for the recommendations!

The VM95ML tracks like nobody’s business, thanks to the ML stylus. Comparatively to the 2M Red, the VM95ML is much more clear. Separation of instruments is fantastic, allowing you to hear more texture between them than the Red. The stylus tip is much finer than a 2M Red as well which allows it to read deeper in the groove for information. People have said that a ML stylus can play a record previously worn with an elliptical stylus with more clarity because of this.

You have a really healthy budget there. The 2M blue is a definite step up from the red. If you had the esprit sb with the acrylic platter I’d say that’d be a solid move but as you’re looking at the platter too I’d question putting $250 more into a $400 table, an upgrade may be a better option as you have a budget for it.

I’d avoid the V90 and instead look at the LX2 LPS, it reviews really well and has a nice following around here and doesn’t cost a huge amount more.

As for speakers, I have the Lintons, they are awesome, if you’re factoring a new table and phono though they might blow the budget.
Appreciate the suggestions!

Totally see your point about getting the Esprit instead of upgrading the Carbon. I have a friend who loves his LX2 but someone else recommended the V90. For the additional money though, seems like the LX2 is the ay to go.

Those Lintons seem to get a lot of love for sure. Doesn't seem to be anywhere near me to give them a listen. I think that's one of my main challenges: I haven't had a lot of experience with various setups.

The first TT I listened to was an AT LP60 hooked up to an Onkyo Home Theatre-in-a-box system. My current Carbon setup was a noticeable improvement. A close friend has a Scout Jr, 2M black, LX2 pre amp and Polk Tsi300 speakers. I really like the sound of his setup: it's dynamic, warm and projects a bigger soundstage (at least to me). But, that's more turntable than I can afford (if the Scout was still avail) and that's obviously where the bulk of his budget was spent.

Back