The National

What if I’m a huge National fan who thinks High Violet has their weakest overall track listing outside of their self-titled record and gets a lot of inordinate praise due to it being in the break-out “people are paying attention now” slot after the critically acclaimed Boxer? :p

What if I’m a huge National fan who thinks High Violet has their weakest overall track listing outside of their self-titled record and gets a lot of inordinate praise due to it being in the break-out “people are paying attention now” slot after the critically acclaimed Boxer? :p

1584384864330.png

I’m not far off from that opinion but I still find things I love about it and could write about it glowingly. Or critically

I’m not far off from that opinion but I still find things I love about it and could write about it glowingly. Or critically

Totally. I think it has some of their hands down best songs (Bloodbuzz, Lemonworld, Terrible Love, Afraid of Everyone) and some interesting texture experiments (Little Faith) but I think the next tier of songs are, in hindsight, oddly simplistic and production/surface-driven for me (Sorrow, Anyone's Ghost, Conversation, Runaway). Then there are the huge last two tracks (England, Vanderlyle) which I find overly bloated and bombastic in a similarly surface-driven way but which are some fans' all time favorite tracks, both live and on record. Those varying levels of complexity and 'fleshed out'-edness increase the subjectivity IMO and make it a really interesting record to think and write about. More interesting than my thoughts on the rest of the records in their catalogue ("It's really good! I love almost every song!").

Totally. I think it has some of their hands down best songs (Bloodbuzz, Lemonworld, Terrible Love, Afraid of Everyone) and some interesting texture experiments (Little Faith) but I think the next tier of songs are, in hindsight, oddly simplistic and production/surface-driven for me (Sorrow, Anyone's Ghost, Conversation, Runaway). Then there are the huge last two tracks (England, Vanderlyle) which I find overly bloated and bombastic in a similarly surface-driven way but which are some fans' all time favorite tracks, both live and on record. Those varying levels of complexity and 'fleshed out'-edness increase the subjectivity IMO and make it a really interesting record to think and write about. More interesting than my thoughts on the rest of the records in their catalogue ("It's really good! I love almost every song!").
Yeah I don’t care for Anyone’s Ghost (just kinda bland except the bridge), England (one of my all time least favorites), and Vanderlyle (it’s okay), but the rest I like to some extent or another. It’s one of my least favorite National records, but I still enjoy it and listen to it semi-regularly. I’m trying to find an angle for the article before I email. Struggling for an interesting concept

Yeah I don’t care for Anyone’s Ghost (just kinda bland except the bridge), England (one of my all time least favorites), and Vanderlyle (it’s okay), but the rest I like to some extent or another. It’s one of my least favorite National records, but I still enjoy it and listen to it semi-regularly. I’m trying to find an angle for the article before I email. Struggling for an interesting concept

For me, I think it bears the distinction of being their first album to be released without the benefit of being an underdog band without expectations. Alligator got buzz and word of mouth but Boxer got universal acclaim from every major media outlet and magazine. High Violet was the new album from the all caps THE NATIONAL and their first response to their own roaring success. I think this shows in how “big” and “epic” the record sounds in places, like they knew they had to show up and live up to expectations. IMO, they re-introduced some subtlety and breathing room on Trouble Will Find Me that successfully re-calibrated the ‘big indie arena’ leanings of High Violet. I think of it as their brief flirtation with being a more immediate crossover rock band (and thankfully not the beginning of a run of decent but less interesting ‘big swinging’ indie rock records a la Arcade Fire’s career trajectory).

oztrayan tour starting next fortnight moved to december

phoebe bridgers new album should be out by then, as should matt's solo record and - potentially? - a new album by the national

For me, I think it bears the distinction of being their first album to be released without the benefit of being an underdog band without expectations. Alligator got buzz and word of mouth but Boxer got universal acclaim from every major media outlet and magazine. High Violet was the new album from the all caps THE NATIONAL and their first response to their own roaring success. I think this shows in how “big” and “epic” the record sounds in places, like they knew they had to show up and live up to expectations. IMO, they re-introduced some subtlety and breathing room on Trouble Will Find Me that successfully re-calibrated the ‘big indie arena’ leanings of High Violet. I think of it as their brief flirtation with being a more immediate crossover rock band (and thankfully not the beginning of a run of decent but less interesting ‘big swinging’ indie rock records a la Arcade Fire’s career trajectory).
I agree. I remember the hype for High Violet and how big it and the tour seemed back then. It felt like they were on another level. And yeah I also agree TWFM walked back some of their more arena-ready sounds. And on a production level, there’s a pretty stark difference between HV and TWFM. I can enjoy the production on both, but I’ll always prefer TWFM’s more spaced out arrangements.

They're playing near me in July. Which feels~ a very dangerous time for if this whole thing will be over yet. They probably won't announce a cancellation yet until closer to the date. But my hope for a best case scenario is this whole thing is over/starting to be over, we'll be coming down off the back half of the curve and large gatherings are starting to be permitted again.

I love High Violet but it may well be that it was the (second) National album I properly fell in love with. I still think Alligator is a masterpiece, and TWFM and Boxer are probably tied for second place.

The new record is real good though. Really grew on me and I love it now after being very unsure about it at first.

I love High Violet but it may well be that it was the (second) National album I properly fell in love with. I still think Alligator is a masterpiece, and TWFM and Boxer are probably tied for second place.

The new record is real good though. Really grew on me and I love it now after being very unsure about it at first.

Sleep Well Beast has become my favorite over time. I really really like this SWB/IAETF era of breathier, textured songs peppered with controlled flashes of chaos. It greatly satisfies me.

one of the things that i love about the national is that they never seem to rest on their laurels

i was introduced to the band via the cherry tree (ep) and it was a great start, but since then they've got better and better and better with each release*

truly a special rock n roll band, when rock n roll bands of such quality are few and far between

*okay not strictly true cos boxer is my fave, but i am easy to find is my #2!

Last edited:
Is that a TRIPLE LP?????

If so I take back all the negative things I said about the delays in this thread and the other.
Yeah same. It looks like an impressive package. 3 LPs for the annual price is completely worth it, and worth the wait. I’m shocked it’s that many.

I'm pretty excited for this. The National sure seem to do things right.

On that note, they announced that profits from all online merch sales and new Cherry Tree sign-ups are going to be paid to their concert crew who is out of work.

I also noticed that they have Cherry Tree Volume 1 up for sale in the Cherry Tree store, in case anyone missed it. There's no mention of whether or not the add-ons are included, but it's $50.00, so... probably?

I'm pretty excited for this. The National sure seem to do things right.

On that note, they announced that profits from all online merch sales and new Cherry Tree sign-ups are going to be paid to their concert crew who is out of work.

I also noticed that they have Cherry Tree Volume 1 up for sale in the Cherry Tree store, in case anyone missed it. There's no mention of whether or not the add-ons are included, but it's $50.00, so... probably?

I just go the Cherry Tree Volume 1. Initially sold it to fund emergency. Glad to be getting this again.

• Cheers
Reactions: mgp
Back