The National

I am pretty stoked about the new record. I have avoided it for the most part but I received a shipping notice for the Cherry Tree exclusive version so it’s only a matter of time.

Also, they must be releasing something (probably a new video/single) for Rylan tomorrow this summer is going to be fantastic.

Anyone from the UK received tracing yet? I picked up the Cherry Tree exclusive and t-shirt combo but not heard anything yet

Edit: 5 mins after posting this I got shipping info......there are listening!

Last edited:
"Your item departed a transfer airport in INTERNATIONAL, LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES on May 15, 2019 at 11:17 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination."

Sigh - no way it will clear customs in time for the weekend and it's being delivered to work on the one day I am flying up to Sydney for a Facebook partners day. FOILED!!

(But I don't care as I'm giddy with joy we can all talk about the National all day again...)

Anyone from the UK received tracing yet? I picked up the Cherry Tree exclusive and t-shirt combo but not heard anything yet

Edit: 5 mins after posting this I got shipping info......there are listening!

Same, and I also ordered a bundle vinyl+t-shirt! I should receive it next week now. A bit frustrating, to say the least.

So I watched the short film last night that’s supposed to be a companion of the album. It does make some of the lesser songs make more sense. Lesser songs like “Her Father in the Pool”, “Dust Swirls in Strange Light” etc. it doesn’t mean that I like them that much more.

The film was just okay. Kinda odd, kinda enjoyable. The soundtrack was just pieces of album tracks arranged slightly differently.

I wish more of the songs on this album could stand on their own more because a lot of them seem to be too closely attached to the film. If this was a full stand alone album. The songs would be completely independent and didn’t need context for them to work, especially since I probably won’t watch the short film again. Some of the lesser songs, like the ones I mentioned above almost feel partially finished because the film completes them.

This is the same reason why I’m not a huge fan of sound tracks/OSTs. Unless the songs can stand alone without the movie/game/tv show they’re not too exciting to listen to. They rely on the actions of whatever media to help them along.

If the National had a regular album and then soundtrack album I think I’d like this album a lot more. There’s some bits that could be refined and some tracks that could be culled from the rest.

I also don’t know how I feel about the female vocals. I think I like them, but the fact they’re different is a little bit jarring (for lack of a better word). Does anyone know if the different voices are meant to represent the main character and maybe her mom from the film? That would make sense. Also because I’m not familiar with the singers yet, it is a little more difficult to appreciate right away. If they had collaborated with a familiar voice like Phoebe Bridgers or Julien Baker, I could see the addition of the vocals going over better.

Like @radiodead said, probably around the same level of SSFDL but time will tell if anything changes.

Back