The National

I don't have anything to play cassettes, but I'd love to hear this, because I was at the second night of these shows and it was a great night with the whole family.
Luckily I use an older receiver for my record player, and included in it is a tape deck (and CD changer). I have never used the tape deck, but now I have a chance to.

Now that I have Boxer and I am Easy To Find. What should my next step be? Alligator or High Violet? I heard Bloodbuzz Ohio years ago and it's one song that stuck with me, but I never got a chance to visit it up until now in terms of the album as a whole. I am also talking vinyl wise i.e. easy to get a hold of. I don't need special editions even just a black pressing would be cool.

Now that I have Boxer and I am Easy To Find. What should my next step be? Alligator or High Violet? I heard Bloodbuzz Ohio years ago and it's one song that stuck with me, but I never got a chance to visit it up until now in terms of the album as a whole. I am also talking vinyl wise i.e. easy to get a hold of. I don't need special editions even just a black pressing would be cool.
They’d all really easy to find (pun intended) on black vinyl. I’d say if you enjoy Boxer more go with Alligator, if you like IAETF more go with High Violet.

They’d all really easy to find (pun intended) on black vinyl. I’d say if you enjoy Boxer more go with Alligator, if you like IAETF more go with High Violet.
Haha. Thanks for the advice! I am thinking Alligator first, but High Violet is more sentimental because of Bloodbuzz. I will get both I am just picking one over the other to add to my secret santa want list lol I mean it's an overall want list, but I want to keep it concise.

Alligator is more rocking as a whole, but High Violet has been a good album for newer listeners to get into I think. It was huge for me unlocking the band’s whole deal. But Boxer came first then Alligator for me. That summer High Violet came out though...it was all I listened to. I may not hold it in a super high regard in their overall discography, but I can’t deny still enjoying it. And it’s hugely nostalgic. Super excited to see them play it in full next year.

Anyway...was that helpful? Probably not.

I'm sentimental to Alligator as that was my gateway to the band. I mean neither is a bad choice. I was not a huge High Violet fan when it came out. It just never clicked for me. I honestly didn't get into it until the old forum kept praising it so I gave it another shot. I probably listen to it more than Alligator now. But you always remember your first love. If Bloodbuzz was your first love, go with High Violet then.

You can’t go wrong either way, but (if you’re not already) you should just be aware that Boxer was the album where the band figured out how to record in that special National way that makes everything sound so clean and great. Alligator is a great album full of great songs, and I wouldn’t say it sounds bad compared to most of the music you hear out there, but compared to Boxer and the later National records it sounds like it was recorded on the L train at rush hour. If you’re here for the songwriting, I’d say Alligator. If you’re here for the interesting composition choices and flawless upstate barn recordings, go with High Violet.

“I think the RSD cassette box is dumb but I’m still getting it” is comforting to read for folks who collect cassettes, think this is awesome, and hope they can track down a non-$200 non-eBay copy. 😂:cry:

Hopefully it’s less popular than one might think. *fingers crossed*

“I think the RSD cassette box is dumb but I’m still getting it” is comforting to read for folks who collect cassettes, think this is awesome, and hope they can track down a non-$200 non-eBay copy. 😂:cry:

Hopefully it’s less popular than one might think. *fingers crossed*
Sorry, I just don't get cassettes. Yeah they are cheap and everything, but I have no connection to them like I do with vinyl (or even CDs *gasp*). Still for The National, I'll be waking up around 8 and heading out into the chaos. I've never done black friday so I have no idea how popular the record store even gets.

Wished the High Violet (Expanded Edition) would be released on vinyl. I freakin love Wake Up Your Saints.
also because the alternate version of Terrible Love is miles better than the original
Dream idea: press the bonus tracks from expanded along with a few more live takes of HV tracks as a special release. Cherry Tree, hit me up, I got ideas.

I noticed on their Euro leg, they are opening with Nobody Else Will Be There and then going into You Had Your Soul With You. I like that order much better.

Now I am reminded why I don't buy cassettes. I can't get them to work! It was working fine, no issues. But now it just pulls the tape spool out and gets all garbled. I've tried re spinning the tape back into the cassette and doing it again, but every time it just does the same thing. i've cleaned the cassette deck best I could...I just can't figure out what the hell is going on. It's super frustrating.

Now I am reminded why I don't buy cassettes. I can't get them to work! It was working fine, no issues. But now it just pulls the tape spool out and gets all garbled. I've tried re spinning the tape back into the cassette and doing it again, but every time it just does the same thing. i've cleaned the cassette deck best I could...I just can't figure out what the hell is going on. It's super frustrating.

Oh, no. Is this a recently acquired tape player? If so, one of the annoyances of the medium is that every tape player you come across has the capability of being damaging to your tapes. Tip for all reading who are in a similar boat: always test a player with a cassette that you wouldn't mind losing. That sucks!

Oh, no. Is this a recently acquired tape player? If so, one of the annoyances of the medium is that every tape player you come across has the capability of being damaging to your tapes. Tip for all reading who are in a similar boat: always test a player with a cassette that you wouldn't mind losing. That sucks!
Any advice on how to clean or figure out what's happening? This cassette player is part of the receiver I use to play vinyl, so it's old but not incredibly old. I've never used it, but I did get it used so no doubt it was used at some point before. Initially, there were no issues, but now...nothing but. I'm debating buying a portable player right now...

Any advice on how to clean or figure out what's happening? This cassette player is part of the receiver I use to play vinyl, so it's old but not incredibly old. I've never used it, but I did get it used so no doubt it was used at some point before. Initially, there were no issues, but now...nothing but. I'm debating buying a portable player right now...

If you are trying to salvage that player/the tape part of it, try asking for help on tapeheads.net. I've cleaned the pads and rollers in players before (cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol) but I am no help in figuring out whether that is the main issue, unfortunately.

If you are trying to salvage that player/the tape part of it, try asking for help on tapeheads.net. I've cleaned the pads and rollers in players before (cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol) but I am no help in figuring out whether that is the main issue, unfortunately.
I tried cleaning with just a q tip but that didn’t do anything. No idea if the problem is the player or the tape. I guess I’ll try another tape and see what happens. If not...I’ll ask over there. Thanks

Anybody else get emotional/cry when he starts singing...

I was solid gold
I was in the fight
I was coming back from what seemed like a ruin
I couldn't see you coming so far
I just turn around and there you are
I'm so surprised you want to dance with me now
I was just getting used to living life without you around
I'm so surprised you want to dance with me now
You always said I held you way too high off the ground

Back