The National

Oh man - those loopy fans are the worst. Nick Cave did an interesting show here which was Q&A mixed in with a few simple tracks on the piano. Apparently the Q&A was full of self-important hard core fans trying to out-fan each other and quoting Nick Cave quotes back to him from 10-15 years earlier.

The best part was he apparently just shut them all down, saying 'I don't remember that' and quickly moving on.... hilarious

yep, was there, can confirm

and yes, it was the red hand files show in january (?) this year in melbourne

Man, I would love to go to a show of nothing but deep cuts. But I'm weird that way. I've seen Depeche Mode more than any other band in my life but I just can't do it anymore. There's a point where I'm tired of hearing the hits over and over. I want the deep cuts. I want Lie To Me off Some Great Reward. I want Blue Dress off Violator. I want Love Thieves off Ultra. I wish they would do a small venue show where that's all they do. I'd love the same for The National. This wedged in show at Stubbs in Austin where they were doing 2 shows at ACL Fest last fall is about as close to perfect as I can think. There's some hits there but there's a lot of stuff they only do sporadically. Check out this setlist:

1. Start a War
  2. Sorrow
  3. I Should Live in Salt
  4. Brainy
  5. Sea of Love
  6. Apartment Story
  7. This Is the Last Time
  8. Secret Meeting
  9. Wasp Nest
  10. Green Gloves
  11. Lemonworld
  12. Turtleneck
  13. The Geese of Beverly Road
  14. Hard to Find
  15. Pink Rabbits
  16. Rylan
  17. About Today
  18. Encore:
  19. Light Years
  20. England
  21. Graceless
  22. Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks

I got my Atlanta Cherry Tree poster today! Looks amazing. I do have one question though: were these supposed to be numbered? Cause mine is not. That's fine. I'm just wondering.

Some dope new shirts on the National's webstore including a Rylan shirt.

Totally just picked up that Rylan shirt.

Side note: what’s annoying about ordering from the store is like half the time, my bank thinks someone has stolen my card and I have to call and go through this whole thing. Just went through this.

Man, I would love to go to a show of nothing but deep cuts. But I'm weird that way. I've seen Depeche Mode more than any other band in my life but I just can't do it anymore. There's a point where I'm tired of hearing the hits over and over. I want the deep cuts. I want Lie To Me off Some Great Reward. I want Blue Dress off Violator. I want Love Thieves off Ultra. I wish they would do a small venue show where that's all they do. I'd love the same for The National. This wedged in show at Stubbs in Austin where they were doing 2 shows at ACL Fest last fall is about as close to perfect as I can think. There's some hits there but there's a lot of stuff they only do sporadically. Check out this setlist:

1. Start a War
  2. Sorrow
  3. I Should Live in Salt
  4. Brainy
  5. Sea of Love
  6. Apartment Story
  7. This Is the Last Time
  8. Secret Meeting
  9. Wasp Nest
  10. Green Gloves
  11. Lemonworld
  12. Turtleneck
  14. Hard to Find
  15. Pink Rabbits
  16. Rylan
  17. About Today
  18. Encore:
  19. Light Years
  20. England
  21. Graceless
  22. Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks

The two times I have seen the National were on the High Violet and Trouble Will Find Me and they were pretty perfect setlists.

1. Runaway
  2. Mistaken for Strangers
  3. Anyone's Ghost
  4. Bloodbuzz Ohio
  5. Brainy
  6. Slow Show
  7. Squalor Victoria
  8. Afraid of Everyone
  9. Little Faith
  10. Available
  11. Conversation 16
  12. Apartment Story
  14. Abel
  15. Sorrow
  16. England
  17. Fake Empire
  18. Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks
  19. Secret Meeting
  20. Mr. November
  21. Terrible Love

1. I Should Live in Salt
  2. Don't Swallow the Cap
  3. Bloodbuzz Ohio
  4. Demons
  5. Sea of Love
  6. Slipped
  7. Afraid of Everyone
  8. Conversation 16
  9. Squalor Victoria
  10. I Need My Girl
  11. This Is the Last Time
  12. All the Wine
  13. Abel
  14. Lucky You
  15. Pink Rabbits
  16. Graceless
  17. England
  18. About Today
  19. Fake Empire
  20. Heavenfaced
  21. Mr. November
  22. Terrible Love
  23. Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks

The National updated their status.
7 mins ·
On April 22, 2019, we took the stage at NYC’s famed Beacon Theatre for “A Special Evening With The National,” one of a series of five unique sold-out events in Paris, London, New York, Toronto and Los Angeles where we performed songs from our new album and Mike Mills-directed short film I Am Easy To Find starring Alicia Vikander.
Now we are thrilled to announce the release of 'The National: I Am Easy To Find, Live From New York’s Beacon Theatre' via Amazon Prime Videoand 'The National: Live From New York’s Beacon Theatre (#AmazonOriginal) EP' via Amazon Music. Both the film and digital EP will be available this Friday, August 23rd.
This concert documentary includes a complete performance of the album, special only to the Beacon show, with guest appearances from the Brooklyn Youth Chorus, Julien Baker, Kate Stables of This Is The Kit and mina tindle.
Watch the trailer and listen to our performance of Rylan now at https://thenational.ffm.to/rylanlive

The National updated their status.
7 mins ·
On April 22, 2019, we took the stage at NYC’s famed Beacon Theatre for “A Special Evening With The National,” one of a series of five unique sold-out events in Paris, London, New York, Toronto and Los Angeles where we performed songs from our new album and Mike Mills-directed short film I Am Easy To Find starring Alicia Vikander.
Now we are thrilled to announce the release of 'The National: I Am Easy To Find, Live From New York’s Beacon Theatre' via Amazon Prime Videoand 'The National: Live From New York’s Beacon Theatre (#AmazonOriginal) EP' via Amazon Music. Both the film and digital EP will be available this Friday, August 23rd.
This concert documentary includes a complete performance of the album, special only to the Beacon show, with guest appearances from the Brooklyn Youth Chorus, Julien Baker, Kate Stables of This Is The Kit and mina tindle.
Watch the trailer and listen to our performance of Rylan now at https://thenational.ffm.to/rylanlive

Sounds like a nice candidate for this year's Cherry Tree LP

I'm hoping Cherry Tree version 2 is an Alligator or Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers live edition.
My guess is that they'll continue to be similar to Vol 1 - just assorted live songs, maybe with a focus around a certain album or time period. When they had the youth chorus at the Beacon it occurred to me that they may earmark one of those songs for a future CT volume, but I agree with @bdm105 that if Amazon paid them for an exclusive they'll want it to be exclusive.

Back