The National

Last night was smooches.

Rain let up right before Courtney Barnett and never started again. The National slayed of course. Only complaint is that the bass drum was too loud in the mix and Luluc's vocals were too low. I think that combination made the new material a little less impactful than I was hoping but oh well. Got a rendition of Wasp Nest, which is always a nice surprise. Snagged the poster with no problem. I looked over after the show and they still had some left too.
I was also a little bit bummed with how low the other vocalist’s voice was in the whole setup. I could hear it fine but it wasn’t as loud and dominant like it could have been.

Oh nice, I think having two people as guest vocalists would have helped with my complaint about being too low in the mix. Was that the case for your show?
I thought the guest vocalists were only just a little too quiet. Not too bad. I couldn't hear the string section at all unless there were no other instruments playing, unfortunately.

Sent you a PM just now
Sorry - it was in my spam!! I set up autoforward and everything - but thanks for getting us the tickets while I got drunk in West Hartford last night. I barely remember calling you other than shouting something about being excited. WE ARE SEEING THE NATIONAL UP CLOSE. TWICE!!

American Mary was played tonight, holy shit.
Back at the "Special Evening with The National" show at the Beacon earlier this year, after they screened the film they did a discussion/Q&A about it with Matt, Bryce and Mike Mills (moderated by Julien Baker). The last question they took from the crowd was from a very agitated man who wanted to know why they "ignore the existence of the first album" and never play American Mary despite it being the namesake of their new fan club.

Come to think of it, there's a non-zero chance that that person is on this forum.

First time seeing them tonight! Matt stormed the crowd during "Graceless" one of my favorite songs by them, and got within 3 feet of us. Also they played American Mary for the first time in apparently years.

I love when Matt does that but I feel so sorry for the poor roadie who has to follow him around and then rewind the cord after Matt's done walking around. I remember being a little freaked out when we saw them for the first time and he pops up about 10 feet from us during Mr. November.

I love when Matt does that but I feel so sorry for the poor roadie who has to follow him around and then rewind the cord after Matt's done walking around. I remember being a little freaked out when we saw them for the first time and he pops up about 10 feet from us during Mr. November.

So what do you do on tour?

I'm in charge of the microphone cord.

Oh?

It's way more intense than you think.

Back at the "Special Evening with The National" show at the Beacon earlier this year, after they screened the film they did a discussion/Q&A about it with Matt, Bryce and Mike Mills (moderated by Julien Baker). The last question they took from the crowd was from a very agitated man who wanted to know why they "ignore the existence of the first album" and never play American Mary despite it being the namesake of their new fan club.

Come to think of it, there's a non-zero chance that that person is on this forum.

Oh man - those loopy fans are the worst. Nick Cave did an interesting show here which was Q&A mixed in with a few simple tracks on the piano. Apparently the Q&A was full of self-important hard core fans trying to out-fan each other and quoting Nick Cave quotes back to him from 10-15 years earlier.

The best part was he apparently just shut them all down, saying 'I don't remember that' and quickly moving on.... hilarious

Back