The National

Ok I have 3.5 weeks left till I see them again. I am starting to get interested in doing my original plan of seeing them two days in a row in different cities. The issue here is I can't stay the night in either city cause I have to work the following days. So I'd be driving two hours in one direction, dealing with a time difference, driving back home, going to work, driving two hours in the opposite direction, driving back, going to work. Is it worth it? I know they don't change up their sets dramatically, so I'd likely be seeing two very similar sets. They've been throwing in those new songs and deep cuts, so I expect those would be different, but the bulk would probably be the same. So...worth it or not? I already have the ticket for one of the shows, but I keep eyeing a ticket for the other one...
Do you feel like doing all that driving? Is it worth going to work exhausted for a show?

The first leg was great since they did pull out all those songs that hadn't been played in a long time. I fully expect they are going to continue doing so.

How long before your shows can you wait? Maybe look at the setlists and get a feeling for how many changes they are making on a nightly basis and make a last minute decision? But do you really want to run yourself ragged for the possibility of getting one new song?

that's my feeling, mostly
There's your answer.

On a tangent: I have tix to both Philly shows, and then New Haven. CT the night after. I'm getting too old for this crap and am just about ready to try to sell my New Haven tix because driving 1 hour back and forth to Philly two days in a row, most likely queuing for many hours on night 1, then facing a 3 1/2 hour drive to CT the next day and getting there early enough to queue for a decent spot is just not appealing to me.

Ok I have 3.5 weeks left till I see them again. I am starting to get interested in doing my original plan of seeing them two days in a row in different cities. The issue here is I can't stay the night in either city cause I have to work the following days. So I'd be driving two hours in one direction, dealing with a time difference, driving back home, going to work, driving two hours in the opposite direction, driving back, going to work. Is it worth it? I know they don't change up their sets dramatically, so I'd likely be seeing two very similar sets. They've been throwing in those new songs and deep cuts, so I expect those would be different, but the bulk would probably be the same. So...worth it or not? I already have the ticket for one of the shows, but I keep eyeing a ticket for the other one...
I’d have done this 10 years ago and not batted an eye. If you could take time off and stay overnight it would be pretty fun. Otherwise this sounds like hell right now. I would just pick one show.

I would do it but I also would consider staying the night and waking up early to get to work

Thanks for the responses. I wish I could take the time off, but that’s our second week back (teaching) so it’s not possible for me unfortunately. It does sound like too much driving. But I’m getting so amped I wondered if I should maximize my experience by doing two shows. Buuuutttt I am thinking since the setlisfs will be pretty similar it might be best to just stick with the one. It’s always a bummer when these close-ish shows are in the middle of the week. This might be my last concert of the year unless I see Bully the next month, but I’d have to be doing the same thing - no time off yet.

Thanks for the responses. I wish I could take the time off, but that’s our second week back (teaching) so it’s not possible for me unfortunately. It does sound like too much driving. But I’m getting so amped I wondered if I should maximize my experience by doing two shows. Buuuutttt I am thinking since the setlisfs will be pretty similar it might be best to just stick with the one. It’s always a bummer when these close-ish shows are in the middle of the week. This might be my last concert of the year unless I see Bully the next month, but I’d have to be doing the same thing - no time off yet.

Too early in the year for a movie day?

I just learned that the show I am attending is a seated pit. Why is that even a thing? Personally I am not a fan of that at all. I didn’t realize there was a row on my ticket, and it’s not like right up front or anything. Now I’m looking to sell my current ticket and pick one up for the Nashville show instead. It’s at Ascend which is a place I’ve seen The National before. It was such a great show. I think I can try to recapture that magic again.

Were you recently endowed with the back and hips of a young man? How can you stand for that long

I just learned that the show I am attending is a seated pit. Why is that even a thing? Personally I am not a fan of that at all. I didn’t realize there was a row on my ticket, and it’s not like right up front or anything. Now I’m looking to sell my current ticket and pick one up for the Nashville show instead. It’s at Ascend which is a place I’ve seen The National before. It was such a great show. I think I can try to recapture that magic again.
I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that seating chart. That "pit" would normally be referred to as the orchestra, or possibly the front orch. A seated pit is usually 3-6 rows deep at most.

I love standing at shows. I get more out of it. Also I basically stand all day at work 🤷‍♂️ it feels weird when I sit for a long period of time
Same for me, though I'm a helluva lot older than you and it's not easy for me anymore, especially since I do have some health issues. When I went to the two DC National shows back in May, I flew down early that morning, stopped by the queue at noon to check in, dropped my bags in my room, and went back to the queue where I stayed the rest of the day. Same thing the next day, except I was in the queue from 8:30am. (Yes, we did come and go for food / bathroom breaks) Both nights standing front center were insanely draining and I was exhausted for two days following.

I have the two Philly shows next week, I decided to sell my New Haven tix because there is just no way I can pull off three nights in a row, especially since New Haven is about a 3 hour drive, and traffic is horrendous on that interstate. I'm sad I'll miss it, but I just can't pull off multiple nights in a row anymore.

I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that seating chart. That "pit" would normally be referred to as the orchestra, or possibly the front orch. A seated pit is usually 3-6 rows deep at most.
Yeah when I've bought tickets for a pit sometimes they throw on a number or seat even though it's all standing. This one legitimately is a seat. I don't know why you would have a big open space close to the stage and then put a bunch of chairs there. Though looking around online it looks like the pit at the venue used to not have chairs, but they've updated it in last however many years. I also do realize most people if not all will still be standing in the pit for this show, but my seat area is just a little too far away for my liking.

Yeah when I've bought tickets for a pit sometimes they throw on a number or seat even though it's all standing. This one legitimately is a seat. I don't know why you would have a big open space close to the stage and then put a bunch of chairs there. Though looking around online it looks like the pit at the venue used to not have chairs, but they've updated it in last however many years. I also do realize most people if not all will still be standing in the pit for this show, but my seat area is just a little too far away for my liking.
Exactly. Usually they would be numbered GA0, GA1, GA2 etc with a "seat" number. That's done to keep track of the number of standing tickets sold.

Some venues have removable seats - such as The Capitol Theatre in Port Chester and The Met in Philly (where I'm seeing them next week). So, they are able to create a standing only area at the front or up to the entire floor. There is a standing pit at The Met for next week's shows, with orchestra seating behind it.

As for most people standing during the show, you'd probably be surprised how many choose to sit. Last year's Pittsburgh show and this year's Chicago shows were seated and I was shocked that so many people, with very close to the stage seats, sat during much of the shows, only standing up during "the hits."

Finally got all my posters up. Not sure where I’m going to put the two new ones I’ll get this fall. Actually, I'll probably shift the ones on the left and right up to the side of the blue one and then put the two new ones below those.

CFF51305-BA33-44D6-AF5E-4226D9A75B2E.jpeg

Last edited:
Am in denmark on vacation right now and we visited the Louisiana Museum of modern Art. They had a Ragnar Kjartansson exhibition and besides a cool multi screen Installation of no tomorrow that he did with bryce dessner they also had a room where they screened a lot of sorrow. Unfortunately the kids found it too loud and so I could just see one sorrow

Question: have they stopped doing the Cherry Tree exclusive posters for their individual shows? I checked online out of curiosity and the posters for the last two nights are just the ones they were already selling in person. Either way, I hope to get one online cause I doubt I’ll be able to do it in person.

Going to the show tonight and was hoping that the poster was going to be good enough to buy…… this is not my style 💀

Passed on the poster from the Vermont show last year because it was too boring. This one is just ugly imo

Back