The N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time!!!

We haven't even officially started yet, and already I've been given a lot to think about while drafting my list. I'm just doing my list based on personal favorites instead of what's the "best"/most important albums or whatever, which is really helping me re-assess and reaffirm a lot of my relationships with "classic" albums. Like, sure, Dark Side Of The Moon is commonly regarded as one of the best albums of all time, but do I personally view it as such? I've always recognized its greatness and appreciated it on an artistic level, but is it one of the albums I enjoy the most? In this case, the answer is a resounding "helllll yes, why's that even a question, Pink Floyd rulez", but that's not always the case with other albums of similar stature

Anyway I’m done, people know what I think and why I think and I think that’s the same for the other side. I’m looking forward to get getting started on the process of listening back to old favourites and making a list, it’d just be a pity if I couldn’t chat about it openly and share my thoughts on it in the meantime.

OK. One last mini bite seeing as I hadn’t yet hit send. The question is. What is the prize here. What am I trying to hide from you or bluff you with? Why am I doing it? There are no games. I have no cards. I’m picking 50 or 100 albums that I deem to be the best. There is no prize. My taste is my taste.

I don’t invite my friends over to play Poker so that I can take all their money, the prize is spending time with them laughing and joking about what aces we may have up our sleeves.

My tastes ( and I think I can confidently say that everyone’s tastes) are what they are because events and relationships have shaped them into that, musical tastes are much more nurture over nature. That’s really awesome, and really great and I’m all about being influenced by others but I don’t want that influence to come before a master list.

Regardless, I’ll have fun with either format. And I’m open to bonding and laughing with all of you over this. I have zero hurt feelings over our disagreement and hope you feel the same! ❤️ ☮️

I don’t invite my friends over to play Poker so that I can take all their money, the prize is spending time with them laughing and joking about what aces we may have up our sleeves.

My tastes ( and I think I can confidently say that everyone’s tastes) are what they are because events and relationships have shaped them into that, musical tastes are much more nurture over nature. That’s really awesome, and really great and I’m all about being influenced by others but I don’t want that influence to come before a master list.

Regardless, I’ll have fun with either format. And I’m open to bonding and laughing with all of you over this. I have zero hurt feelings over our disagreement and hope you feel the same! ❤ ☮

Hahaha! Not at all. I debate things, it’s what I do, I come to a decision pretty quickly and I defend it. I chose the right profession...

I never take things personally unless they become personal and they didn’t.

Also I don’t get poker. I’m clever enough to know that you play the person as much as the cards but I can’t read people so I just lose. I’d rather go down the pub and debate at length why either of us prefers a or b making increasingly less sense as we get deeper into the pints 😂

No, I really just mean the 8-track Fame Monster. The one that opens with “Bad Romance.” Not the album The Fame that came right before it. They’re separate releases/albums.

edit: this one
the fame is also amazing so im counting the fame and the fame monster to be the same album just one is the deluxe edition

Yeah no one is betting on the results and I really don't think people are going to feel guilted into including something on their list that they don't really like that much.
I'm sure there are some degenerate gamblers in here who would be interested in placing some bets of individual and aggregate lists.

Actually I changed my mind, let's do this. Closed ballots it is.

What's the over/under on number of Beatles albums in Joe's top 50? 3.5? Radiohead? 2.5? Dylan? 1.5?

Hahaha! I kinda know the upper end of my list and likely could answer all three right now...

...who wants to place bets and I’ll reveal all in the morning!

Anyway I’m done, people know what I think and why I think and I think that’s the same for the other side. I’m looking forward to get getting started on the process of listening back to old favourites and making a list, it’d just be a pity if I couldn’t chat about it openly and share my thoughts on it in the meantime.

I think under a closed ballot regime we can still talk about our lists, just not share the lists themselves. If we can’t chat about our decision-making processes then there will be no conversation in this thread. My vote is still for closed ballots but I assume that means I can still tell you that I’m worried Steely Dan will take 2 of my top 50 slots.

the fame is also amazing so im counting the fame and the fame monster to be the same album just one is the deluxe edition

AFAIK there is no vinyl version that combines the two releases. The Fame is good too but it has more filler.

Last edited:
AFAIK there is no vinyl version that combines the two releases. The Fame is good too but it has more filler.
UO has got you covered

UO has got you covered

Eh... no thanks.

In a perfect world this release would be only Discs 1 and 2. Disc 3 is all filler. "Beautiful, Dirty, Rich" is such a banger.

I love all of this back and forth conversation and discussion of the rules. You’re all wonderful people!

That being said, I am personally subscribing to The Law of @Englishbob and bucking all the rules and doing whatever I want. I fully expect to be the first person disqualified from participating :cool:

Last edited:
I'd also limit the number of albums per artist for the individual lists (1, 2 or 3 per artist max?). Otherwise, this could end up being a Bowie, Stones, Beatles and Prince album ranking.

The final aggregate list can have multiples.
I would be against max titles per artist as I think it will skew it even more. If you are a Bowie fan then being forced to pick only 1 title, then there is a good chance many will pick the same one. I think I would be alright with a max of 5 titles per artist.

For me there are 4 or 5 artists/bands that I would want to include at least a couple of their records because of how varied their career was or just the importance of those records to me.

Back