The N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time!!!

Since it is supposed to be your personal fave top 50/top 100, not a list of GOATs then I am fine with including a greatest hits or compilation album. It is hard to say The Buzzcocks "Singles Going Steady" is not a great album, just because it is a singles compilation.

if that Eagles "Best of" you have was the first record you bought with your own money and started you down the road to collecting music, then yes it should be included.

I don't mind the inclusion of comps, greatest hits, etc. I personally would exclude those (unless the comp sort of serves as more of an "official album", like Minor Threat or something), but at the end of the day, is it really going to impact the list that much? Like, sure, someone could say "Now That's What I Call Music 37" is one of the best albums of all time (even though we ALL know vol. 16 is the artistic pinnacle of the series!), but chances are they're going to be the only one saying that, so it's kind of moot IMO.

I don't mind the inclusion of comps, greatest hits, etc. I personally would exclude those (unless the comp sort of serves as more of an "official album", like Minor Threat or something), but at the end of the day, is it really going to impact the list that much? Like, sure, someone could say "Now That's What I Call Music 37" is one of the best albums of all time (even though we ALL know vol. 16 is the artistic pinnacle of the series!), but chances are they're going to be the only one saying that, so it's kind of moot IMO.
Now 8 was my first one, so it's the best...

Alright, so I mocked this up really quick this morning before my real work got in the way :LOL:. I set it up for individual Top 10 lists for now just for proof of concept. It would require everyone to input their lists via the Google Form survey. The entries are then compiled into the first tab of the spreadsheet. The 2nd & 3rd tabs just reformat the data & scoring so they can be calculated/summed. The last Results tab tallies the points.

A couple of things:
1) The survey requires each person to either type out or copy & paste each album into each slot. More work for each individual person, but it should result in less work for @Woob_woob
2) There will still be issues with people naming artists/albums differently or typos or whatever so there will still be some (maybe a lot) manual cleanup. For example, I put some test data in there, in the Results tab, you can see 2 separate entries for Prince's Purple Rain just because they were entered differently. It would just require adding those 2 scores together to get the final score for that album (or fixing the entries in the raw data in the first tab).

This is all live, so if people want to test it go ahead. You should be able to see the spreadsheet & results update after you submit a survey.

@Woob_woob, let me know if you think this would help you or if you want to use it. If so, I can expand it to however many slots we ultimately decide on and we can tweak it however we need to.

Input Survey

Results Spreadsheet

Alright, so I mocked this up really quick this morning before my real work got in the way :LOL:. I set it up for individual Top 10 lists for now just for proof of concept. It would require everyone to input their lists via the Google Form survey. The entries are then compiled into the first tab of the spreadsheet. The 2nd & 3rd tabs just reformat the data & scoring so they can be calculated/summed. The last Results tab tallies the points.

A couple of things:
1) The survey requires each person to either type out or copy & paste each album into each slot. More work for each individual person, but it should result in less work for @Woob_woob
2) There will still be issues with people naming artists/albums differently or typos or whatever so there will still be some (maybe a lot) manual cleanup. For example, I put some test data in there, in the Results tab, you can see 2 separate entries for Prince's Purple Rain just because they were entered differently. It would just require adding those 2 scores together to get the final score for that album (or fixing the entries in the raw data in the first tab).

This is all live, so if people want to test it go ahead. You should be able to see the spreadsheet & results update after you submit a survey.

@Woob_woob, let me know if you think this would help you or if you want to use it. If so, I can expand it to however many slots we ultimately decide on and we can tweak it however we need to.

Input Survey

Results Spreadsheet
So thankful you did this! I love the commitment! Can’t wait to do my list on this spreadsheet! 😍

A couple of things:

Input Survey

Results Spreadsheet
down and ready.. though probably in the future we might have to move it from 10 to 20 if we are going to do a full top 100 (also those meme nominees)

Equally I expect a chunk of mine to be lower down because the forum is largely American so, a bit like in that Rolling Stone list, some of the British ones, outside the the obvious, may get buried.

Hey! Some of us Americans spent our college years blasting Super Furry Animals and Beta Band to drown out our roommates' Limp Bizkit and Dave Matthews!

I was thinking that. I'm not sure Radiator by the Furries is quite going to be darkhorse it should be.

Or we're all picking different SFA albums as favorites, effectively punishing them for being so consistently good! 😩

Hey! Some of us Americans spent our college years blasting Super Furry Animals and Beta Band to drown out our roommates' Limp Bizkit and Dave Matthews!

Or we're all picking different SFA albums as favorites, effectively punishing them for being so consistently good! 😩

If only Limp Bizkit were capable of being drowned out. I tried, oh how I tried...

If Justin Timberlake’s FutureSex/LoveSounds or isn’t in your top 50......then you’re probably not that cute/physically attractive! 💯😛🙊

That album is definitely on my current rough draft list and I can't see it not being in my top 50. Such a great album that he unfortunately hasn't come close to matching since.

That album is definitely on my current rough draft list and I can't see it not being in my top 50. Such a great album that he unfortunately hasn't come close to matching since.
Yeah, that album is going to be in my top 50 as well! It is such a unique pop album and I still remember how cool that album was when it first got released! It really does have that “Future/Sex” aesthetic to it! 🔥🔥🔥

Every album Justin Timberlake released afterwards was disappointing, especially his latest album - Man Of The Woods - which was an incredibly mediocre album! 🗑

Justin Timberlake also has never had a 10/10 song since FutureSex/LoveSounds! Nothing on 20/20 was even 10/10. I don’t even think he had a 9/10 song on any of those two albums and Man Of The Woods! He really did go downhill from FutureSex/LoveSounds!

It seems like he cared more about the acting industry anyways compared to the music industry!

you voted in the google form yet (i think that @debar22 will have to move it from 10 albums to 20 if just so we have enough for a full top 100 or more)

Yeah, that album is going to be in my top 50 as well! It is such a unique pop album and I still remember how cool that album was when it first got released! It really does have that “Future/Sex” aesthetic to it! 🔥🔥🔥

Every album Justin Timberlake released afterwards was disappointing, especially his latest album - Man Of The Woods - which was an incredibly mediocre album! 🗑

Justin Timberlake also has never had a 10/10 song since FutureSex/LoveSounds! Nothing on 20/20 was even 10/10. I don’t even think he had a 9/10 song on any of those two albums and Man Of The Woods! He really did go downhill from FutureSex/LoveSounds!

It seems like he cared more about the acting industry anyways compared to the music industry!

I really liked the first 20/20 when it came out (I think it made the top 5 of my year-end list) but can’t say it’s an album I care to revisit.

The pure pop album that has the best chance of making my top 100 is Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster. I don’t even care if @duke86fan calls it an EP!

Back