The N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time!!!

@Joe Mac youā€™re a Dylan guy tooooo! Now itā€™s a challenge! I need to find our common ground! How do you feel about the following

1. Dog or cats
2. Beaches or Snow
3. Good guys or Bad guys

I would be against max titles per artist as I think it will skew it even more. If you are a Bowie fan then being forced to pick only 1 title, then there is a good chance many will pick the same one. I think I would be alright with a max of 5 titles per artist.

For me there are 4 or 5 artists/bands that I would want to include at least a couple of their records because of how varied their career was or just the importance of those records to me.

Yeah, I don't think there should be a limit. If Bob Dylan recorded 10 of your top 50 favorite albums, then you should be able to include them all. Odds are that things will balance themselves out, e.g. there will be no Dylan on my list.

Yeah, I don't think there should be a limit. If Bob Dylan recorded 10 of your top 50 favorite albums, then you should be able to include them all. Odds are that things will balance themselves out, e.g. there will be no Dylan on my list.

My wife is always trying to figure out my ā€œlove languageā€ and I didnā€™t donā€™t know what she meant until I heard you say ā€œthere will be no Dylan on my listā€

So far my biggest epiphany has been the fact that the albums I ranked near the top of my "Best of the 2010s" list are all changing positions when I try to rank them with my all-time favorites. As in: what I thought was my fifth- or sixth-favorite album of the 2010s is now ranking higher than albums #2-4.

I guess the moral here is: don't overthink your lists, because in a matter of months they will have become obsolete anyway.

I mean, I'm going to post my list whenever I've made it either way. That doesn't mean everyone has to, but to me, what's the point of going through all the effort if I don't end up sharing it. If I'm not allowed to post my list publicly, then I will probably sit this whole exercise out. If it's more a thing to where you can post yours publicly or just DM it, it's up to you, then that's cool, but not sharing your list to me ruins the entire point. just my two cents
You're allowed to post publicly even if its closed ballot. If it is closed ballot there will be a decent period of time where people can recommend albums or post their lists or whatever they want. Only difference between closed and open ballot afaic is the actual vote, one way its sent to me in private the other its posted for all to see. Talking about the albums is the best part and I promise there will be plenty of time for that regardless of votes

Voting results will be released Monday and then we will probably go a month where people can vote (either public or private) during that month i want us all to talk about all the great albums out there. Post your full list, post a partial, post an unorganized list of what you're thinking, post about one album you really love and want others to know about. After that month I'll start releasing results slowly over the next week or so.

Oh yeah I wasnt necessarily disagreeing with posting atter the master list (even if I'd prefer doing it before but that's whatever) but more not posting at all. I guess I was under the impression some were arguing for not sharing the lists publicly at all but I could be wrong about that

Reading comprehension is important, kids, don't be like me šŸ¤Ŗ
Iā€™m team share your lists but just after the master list is revealed. Iā€™m hoping to find the time to do it no matter which way we end up doing it though! Itā€™ll still be fun!

Iā€™m team share your lists but just after the master list is revealed. Iā€™m hoping to find the time to do it no matter which way we end up doing it though! Itā€™ll still be fun!
Also cool. If it ends up being private people can make their personal list public whenever they feel like it or not at all.

I would be against max titles per artist as I think it will skew it even more. If you are a Bowie fan then being forced to pick only 1 title, then there is a good chance many will pick the same one. I think I would be alright with a max of 5 titles per artist.

For me there are 4 or 5 artists/bands that I would want to include at least a couple of their records because of how varied their career was or just the importance of those records to me.

Yeah, I agree, 5 max would be a good compromise.

I already put together a quick list and it turned out to be 99 records (yes, I have a few multiples from the same artists since this seems to be what you all want).... so pretty much already there, but I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

I definitely want a list of 100 and not 50. I think those 51-100 positions are where surprising and possibly controversial picks may come through, especially if we keep a final top 500 aggregate. That's what I'm most interested in seeing as opposed to all the usual suspects.

Back