The N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time!!!

What is our idea on breaking ties? My #1 album is likely to not show up on anybody’s list, I’m sure there is at least one other person in a similar predicament. That might still be good enough to get us each pretty low on the master list though.
I have a feeling this will happen quite a few times especially if people put some more obscure albums on there as their #1. If we end up with a top 500 list, I bet the last 100+ will be just a tie with only one vote haha.

What is our idea on breaking ties? My #1 album is likely to not show up on anybody’s list, I’m sure there is at least one other person in a similar predicament. That might still be good enough to get us each pretty low on the master list though.
Album ties won't be broken but announced as a tie.

As for any ties in the procedural voting I will be breaking them as I cant leave an emoji on my own posts

As much as I’d love the lists to be private I am totally cool with friendly hints and reminders, just not a blatant “I put this album at this spot”

For example, I think we can all agree that Vitalogy is definitely Pearl Jam’s best.

Last edited:
I dunno, I personally am a big fan of “you can only rank up to 100 albums, but if you choose to do fewer, you can”. I know that the effort of compiling and ranking a list of 100 albums is a barrier to entry for some, and the fewer people we have participating, the less “representative” of N&G the overall ranking will be. But I know a lot of us can easily put together a top 1000 list if we wanted. So if some people want to do a full 100, but some only want to put ~30 albums on their list, I don’t necessarily see the issue with that? I’d be willing to bet there’s a good number of people here who *could* conceivably do a top 50/100 ranked list, but simply won’t have the time/energy to do a giant list like that, and I still think their voice should matter even if they don’t hit whatever mark we set

I dunno, I personally am a big fan of “you can only rank up to 100 albums, but if you choose to do fewer, you can”. I know that the effort of compiling and ranking a list of 100 albums is a barrier to entry for some, and the fewer people we have participating, the less “representative” of N&G the overall ranking will be. But I know a lot of us can easily put together a top 1000 list if we wanted. So if some people want to do a full 100, but some only want to put ~30 albums on their list, I don’t necessarily see the issue with that? I’d be willing to bet there’s a good number of people here who *could* conceivably do a top 50/100 ranked list, but simply won’t have the time/energy to do a giant list like that, and I still think their voice should matter even if they don’t hit whatever mark we set
Yea no matter the 50 or 100 limit im fine if people can't or don't want to go up to the limit. I think i will set a minimum of 10 for 50 and 20 for 100 tho, i dont want people just shooting me 1 or 2 albums.

my definition of an album is
1. live albums count (fishmans fans you can rejoice in putting 98.12.28 on the list)
2. greatest hits albums only count if there is precedence (a greatest hits being miles better than any other album in their discography, or the songs on the list barely being on an album)
3. Archival releases dont really count unless its basically a new album (both directions at once is an album, bob dylan bootleg series is not)
4. Mixtapes count, EPs dont (the debate about whats an EP and not will be a hard one )

my definition of an album is
1. live albums count (fishmans fans you can rejoice in putting 98.12.28 on the list)
2. greatest hits albums only count if there is precedence (a greatest hits being miles better than any other album in their discography, or the songs on the list barely being on an album)
3. Archival releases dont really count unless its basically a new album (both directions at once is an album, bob dylan bootleg series is not)
4. Mixtapes count, EPs dont (the debate about whats an EP and not will be a hard one )

Why should an EP not count, though?

Back