The football thread RenegadeMonster is looking for: NFL talk

I just feel it was short sighted. You go for the aggressive 4th down plays in the Super Bowl and the regular season, not in the championship game when you’re already in the lead, your objective is to get the win, no matter the means. It’s just felt so gratuitous even in the moment.

Lions kicker only attempted 4 FG all season with a long of 41. He was also 34th in extra point percentage. Not sure I like my odds any better with the ball in his hands.
I don’t fault Dan Campbell at all for pushing things. this was who they were as a team. If they had picked up those first downs and eventually scored a Touchdown they may have won the game too. They were not a team that played conservative and when you are aggressive like that I still think your more win more of those than you lose but no statagy is flawless.

Such a team loss. Campbell made mistakes, but man, his players did too. They had the first fourth down play and it was a drop. That stuff worked all year to get the Lions there. Throw in a fumble, bad defense and a special teams gaffe...yeah. I do think the better team won, but man they spotted us some points, so it's disappointing.
Next year will help determine if it was a fluke or if this team is built to contend, and if Campbell can keep it going with his now notable failed aggressiveness.
It was the best season I've had as a fan so far...so that's cool.

I don’t fault Dan Campbell at all for pushing things. this was who they were as a team. If they had picked up those first downs and eventually scored a Touchdown they may have won the game too. They were not a team that played conservative and when you are aggressive like that I still think your more win more of those than you lose but no statagy is flawless.
His biggest mistake was running with a minute left in the game that forced him to use a timeout that he could have used after the scored the touchdown.

Not gonna lie, down 17 at half I was feeling oddly calm, I didn't think we'd come back to win but I thought we had a shot. Detroit will be around for years to come, I just hope we can finally get past Mahomes and KC.

Such a team loss. Campbell made mistakes, but man, his players did too. They had the first fourth down play and it was a drop. That stuff worked all year to get the Lions there. Throw in a fumble, bad defense and a special teams gaffe...yeah. I do think the better team won, but man they spotted us some points, so it's disappointing.
Next year will help determine if it was a fluke or if this team is built to contend, and if Campbell can keep it going with his now notable failed aggressiveness.
It was the best season I've had as a fan so far...so that's cool.
Yeah, best season I've seen in my life. Bummed it never happened with Megatron and Stafford. But it was better than we've gotten, so it's something.

Yeah, best season I've seen in my life. Bummed it never happened with Megatron and Stafford. But it was better than we've gotten, so it's something.
Yep, it stings but it was a great season. Of course this town has no idea how to handle winning or losing. So many people calling for Campbell's job...which is ridiculous in my opinion.

I'm glad there was no silly calls by officiating either way.

Congratulations to the SF 49ers for their gritty, disciplined play. Lucky bounces, sure. But championship level teams take advantage of the opponent's weaknesses while not straying from the game plan and staying true their identity. In the case of SF, they are historically a ground-n-pound team and I am glad they did not shy away from the run even down three possessions in the second half, utilizing Christian McCaffrey well. They capitalized on self-inflicted mistakes from DET and dropped 27 in a row to close the underdogs out.

Speaking directly to @tvham, I apologize for lashing out around this time about a year ago on conference title game Sunday last year. I am not really adverse to SF football, especially since my mom is originally from the bay area. Fairly certain I was having an off day and didn't need to respond in that way.

NFL record
DET can add losing the 17pt lead to the history books. Tied for largest in NFCCG history.

DET can add losing the 17pt lead to the history books. Tied for largest in NFCCG history.
Yeah, ouch.
Today just sucks. I guess my lack of experience with this level of football fandom is showing, because I thought I'd be happy with just the couple of playoff wins.
Hoping they can learn from this and get back again next year.

Congratulations to the SF 49ers for their gritty, disciplined play. Lucky bounces, sure. But championship level teams take advantage of the opponent's weaknesses while not straying from the game plan and staying true their identity. In the case of SF, they are historically a ground-n-pound team and I am glad they did not shy away from the run even down three possessions in the second half, utilizing Christian McCaffrey well. They capitalized on self-inflicted mistakes from DET and dropped 27 in a row to close the underdogs out.

Speaking directly to @tvham, I apologize for lashing out around this time about a year ago on conference title game Sunday last year. I am not really adverse to SF football, especially since my mom is originally from the bay area. Fairly certain I was having an off day and didn't need to respond in that way.

All good, thanks for the kind words !

I'm more of a college football fan since I've given up caring if the Cowboys become anything other than mediocre. It may happen in my lifetime but probably not until Jerry Jones is no longer consuming oxygen. I turn it on every Sunday but I'm not really invested in it since it's the same thing every year for me. All that said, the NFL's postseason is so good. I enjoyed all of the games this playoff season. The Super Bowl is typically the worst game of the playoffs so I'm hoping this year will be different. The NFL definitely got the matchup they were looking for, no offense to Detroit and Baltimore. And I love all the conspiracy theories about the NFL fixing games or Taylor Swift being added to boost ratings. We are such a strange society that's easily prone to believe something other than reality is happening. Maybe the Chiefs are just a damn dominate franchise that's been here multiple times so they know how to win when the time comes. Like Jordan's Bulls or the Patriots.

Hoping they can learn from this and get back again next year.
Continuity is vital. I didn't realize that there were fans calling Campbell's head, lmao. They got to this point with him, they stayed with their identity for the majority of the game (went too pass heavy in my opinion) with being ultra aggressive on 4th downs. I defend the decisions on the 4th down conversions now that I've seen @Melt Face Molly Drop's statline on their kicker. Either way, the playoffs are a win or go home business.

DET playing in the NFC helps. Most of the elite echelon teams/QBs play in the AFC at this time, now more crowded with Stroud's immediate emergence (already looking like a top5 QB; arguably best rookie season ever).

I didn't realize that there were fans calling Campbell's head, lmao
I have a buddy that won't stop texting that Campbell consistently hurts this team's chances and he should be gone. And he's a smart guy, and a big NFL/Lions fan. I don't agree at all, but I certainly can't change his mind. Emotions are high here in the D.

DET playing in the NFC helps. Most of the elite echelon teams/QBs play in the AFC at this time

Yeah I agree about the NFC; Stroud looks amazing after one year and the AFC already has the motherlode of young talented QBs.

I don't know what the beef with the Chiefs is. I was in KU between 2004 and 2008, the Mangino era. And being so close to Kansas City you kinda just became a Chiefs fan. Coming in blind having never experienced american football, I just went with the motions and I guess picked the Chiefs as a team to root for by default. I mean, at the end of the anthem in the Booth stadium (college football) and in the Allen Fieldhouse (college basketball) you sang "Land of the free, home of the Chiefs". (much to the chagrin of my roommate from New Jersey who was a Giants fan. )
I was in time to still see Tony Gonzalez and Priest Holmes play. Then people got all excited when Herm Edwards came in. They didn't win anything important at the time, but the games were exciting. Then I left the US and just kept up with news and scores here and there. The playoffs and Super Bowl have been showing up on the TV for the last decade or so. But that's just the NFL trying to penetrate foreign TV markets.
Anyhow, I kinda stayed a Chiefs fan over the years and it's been great to see how Andy Reid managed to get the franchise up and running at championship level.

People don't want the next Patriots dynasty and the Chiefs are well on their way. Mahomes is 28. He's entering the prime of his career. I think it's also a bit of overexposure. Turn on your TV and it's either Mahomes or Kelce on TV ads. Now with Kelce, I think a lot of it is anti-vax, right wing weirdos like Clay Travis, Jason Whitlock, Fox News, etc. I don't mind the Chiefs. I enjoy dynasties and watching the best players excel. Mahomes is unbelievable. I never would've thought he was capable of this after watching him at Texas Tech. I chuckle thinking of MAGA having a tough time trying to decide who to root for. The team with the Pfizer guy and his Biden agent girlfriend or the team from the most liberal city and state in the country.

This is fantastic

Last edited:
Back