The Blue Note Thread

Plaidroom is selling Tone Poets for $31.99 now instead of $27.99 going forward. They said it's due to price increases on tip-on jackets and other vinyl manufacturing costs. Still under the $36 standard, but an increase nonetheless.
Yeah - sorry for the price increase on these, y'all. It's actually pretty strange how the wholesale price / retail price relationship isn't linear, which is completely counterintuitive. I won't mention what wholesale pricing actually is on these, but the old retail price was $34.99, and the new retail price is $35.99, so a $1 difference. The corresponding wholesale prices have increased $3.10, so we had to bump our prices otherwise we'd be losing our asses on these after credit card fees and returns. The jazz stuff is some of our most returned product, so I usually have to assume at least 5-8% of these are coming back to me. Probably more info than y'all need - but I hope you all don't think we're bumping prices just for the sake of doing it!

Yeah - sorry for the price increase on these, y'all. It's actually pretty strange how the wholesale price / retail price relationship isn't linear, which is completely counterintuitive. I won't mention what wholesale pricing actually is on these, but the old retail price was $34.99, and the new retail price is $35.99, so a $1 difference. The corresponding wholesale prices have increased $3.10, so we had to bump our prices otherwise we'd be losing our asses on these after credit card fees and returns. The jazz stuff is some of our most returned product, so I usually have to assume at least 5-8% of these are coming back to me. Probably more info than y'all need - but I hope you all don't think we're bumping prices just for the sake of doing it!

I've always wondered why the label / wholesaler doesn't handle returns generally. I've always found it difficult to return something to a local shop (generally because they aren't that local) & the defect is with the label /pressing plant anyway.

I've always wondered why the label / wholesaler doesn't handle returns generally. I've always found it difficult to return something to a local shop (generally because they aren't that local) & the defect is with the label /pressing plant anyway.
I think you'll find that it varies by label/manufacturer. In general - if it's coming from the majors - I'd recommend reaching out to the point of purchase, as you'll likely have better luck there. I think the idea is (and this is just me talking out loud so I could be totally wrong) that they can condense returns by making it go through the point of purchase. To use us (Plaid Room) as an example, we get about 30-50 returns each week for various reasons. If each of those 30-50 people were to go through the label/distributor, that would be 30-50 cases that they'd have to open, issue return labels for, and also handle all of the email correspondence for. Basically, it's expensive to pay a support team, pay for the return labels, and then of course eat the cost of the product. By funneling it through the point of purchase, they only have to deal with one email and one return shipment, so it's a lot cheaper. Also - they'll inevitably end up with stores like us that take returns from customers, but never actually return anything because it's so much of a hassle. :ROFLMAO:

For indie labels, it could certainly be worth reaching out directly. To use us an example again, if someone reaches out about a Colemine product that they purchased elsewhere that came with a manufacturing defect (scratch, warp, etc. - NOT split seams or corner dings), we will always try to deal with that directly so that way the record store that sold it to them doesn't have to worry about it.

Yeah, we know the price increase is out of your control. Plaidroom consistently has the best prices on new titles. Your shop is consistently my go-to for new releases. And if you sold your used stock online... I'd probably be BROKE! Ha ha.

I'm surprised you get so many returns on jazz titles. All the Tone Poets and Blue Note titles, as well as the new Analogue Productions series I've purchased have all been excellent pressings. Though Optimal has been somewhat hit or miss lately with the BN Classics series, e.g. hairline scratches, no-fill, etc.

He also mentions that they have just cut Kenny Burrell's S/T and was discussing it with Kevin, so that sounds like another Tone Poet.

View attachment 112420
if you follow Harley on IG and read through comments of his posts, these and others have been posted! I'm hoping they are a TP release as well. He's a great follow because he is always posting some clips from mastering sessions and is pretty responsive to fans.

Anybody know if any of the Transition Jazz titles might make their way to the TP series? I really want a copy of Byrd Blows on Beacon Hill...not really sure who owns the Transition catalogue anymore.

Anybody know if any of the Transition Jazz titles might make their way to the TP series? I really want a copy of Byrd Blows on Beacon Hill...not really sure who owns the Transition catalogue anymore.
Funnily enough he confirms this in the part 2!

Byrd Blows is a fantastic album so that would be a good one for sure. I picked up a Japanese King pressing last year from Japan and it sounds stellar. What would be super super amazing is if the Tone Poets included the booklets that originally came with them. As far as I am aware these have never been reproduced before.

Yeah, we know the price increase is out of your control. Plaidroom consistently has the best prices on new titles. Your shop is consistently my go-to for new releases. And if you sold your used stock online... I'd probably be BROKE! Ha ha.

I'm surprised you get so many returns on jazz titles. All the Tone Poets and Blue Note titles, as well as the new Analogue Productions series I've purchased have all been excellent pressings. Though Optimal has been somewhat hit or miss lately with the BN Classics series, e.g. hairline scratches, no-fill, etc.
We appreciate all your orders so much! :):)

A lot of the tone poets tend to seam split more regularly than other records, so we get a lot of returns for that reason. MFSL records are the same way. They both use Stoughton tip-on jackets. But, we do with Colemine too, and we don't get many seam splits at all with our Colemine shipments. It's strange....we can't really figure that one out.

Hartley says

Byrd Blows is a fantastic album so that would be a good one for sure. I picked up a Japanese King pressing last year from Japan and it sounds stellar. What would be super super amazing is if the Tone Poets included the booklets that originally came with them. As far as I am aware these have never been reproduced before.

At 13:30, Joe talks about the upcoming releases including a previously unannounced Stanley Turrentine record that features Elvin Jones and McCoy Tyner.

Hartley says

At 13:30, Joe talks about the upcoming releases including a previously unannounced Stanley Turrentine record that features Elvin Jones and McCoy Tyner.
Mr. Natural?

One of those sessions which was shelved until the 80's when they reissued it with the ugly cover.

Mr. Natural?

One of those sessions which was shelved until the 80's when they reissued it with the ugly cover.
Yes. Shelved for a reason. Elvin was not a good fit for Turrentine, and it has a cheesy Beatles cover tune as well as Duke Pearson's Wahoo, which he released himself in a superior version.

The Japanese King cover is kind of cool.

Haven’t been able to watch it all but he confirms Byrd Blows? Or just some other transition titles?

Haven’t been able to watch it all but he confirms Byrd Blows? Or just some other transition titles?
Transition titles in general.

One of the questions is why the TP's tend to be stereo and Joe says in the next cycle of releases (or the one after) they will be digging into Transition releases which are all mono.

He does confirm/re-confirm that the next wave will include:

Joe Pass -Django
Stanley Turrentine - Rough And Tumble
Sonny Red - Out Of The Blue
Grant Green - The Latin Bit
Jackie McLean - Tippin The Scales
Hank Mobley - Curtain Call
Freddie Hubbard - Breaking Point
Gerald Wilson - Moment Of Truth
Stanley Turrentine - Mr. Natural

R-3533091-1334246768.jpeg.jpg
270451.jpeg
61+tMQlw2cL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
the-latin-bit.jpeg
a.jpeg
ab67616d0000b273de2eea9716c8d2c9b70010de.jpeg
R-12554447-1537523562-9424.jpeg.jpg
770879.jpeg
71dQoMCsjNL._AC_SL1084_.jpg

We appreciate all your orders so much! :):)

A lot of the tone poets tend to seam split more regularly than other records, so we get a lot of returns for that reason. MFSL records are the same way. They both use Stoughton tip-on jackets. But, we do with Colemine too, and we don't get many seam splits at all with our Colemine shipments. It's strange....we can't really figure that one out.
I'd bet it's likely due the loose plastic sleeve (with the tear away seam) the Tone Poets and MoFi records come in from RTI, versus a tight cellophane wrap that is found on most records. Just my guess. I bet if you tightly sandwiched the Tone Poet and MoFi records with cardboard inserts (record sandwich) rather than using bubble wrap, the records would slide less in transit. Maybe it will reduce splits? Worth a try to spare ya some returns? Or maybe it won't make any difference at all. I'm just thinking out loud. :)

One of the questions is why the TP's tend to be stereo and Joe says in the next cycle of releases (or the one after) they will be digging into Transition releases which are all mono.

Joe Pass -Django

View attachment 112486
View attachment 112487
View attachment 112488
View attachment 112489
View attachment 112490
View attachment 112491
View attachment 112492
View attachment 112493
View attachment 112494
I sincerely hope they do not alter the Joe Pass and Latin Bit covers 😭

Joe Pass -Django

View attachment 112486
View attachment 112487
View attachment 112488
View attachment 112489
View attachment 112490
View attachment 112491
View attachment 112492
View attachment 112493
View attachment 112494
Do you think they will still do ...
  • Grant Green – Feelin’ The Spirit (Blue Note, 1962)
  • Harold Vick – Steppin’ Out (Blue Note, 1963)
  • Bobby Hutcherson – Stick Up! (Blue Note, 1966)
  • Chet Baker & Art Pepper – Picture of Heath (Pacific Jazz, 1956)
and he just didn't mention them ? I have these and the Pass on my want list.

Also VERY curious where BN Classic Series will pick up at in 22'

Joe Pass -Django

View attachment 112486
View attachment 112487
View attachment 112488
View attachment 112489
View attachment 112490
View attachment 112491
View attachment 112492
View attachment 112493
View attachment 112494
Latin Bit & Rough 'N Tumble are on my "must have" list

I'd bet it's likely due the loose plastic sleeve (with the tear away seam) the Tone Poets and MoFi records come in from RTI, versus a tight cellophane wrap that is found on most records. Just my guess. I bet if you tightly sandwiched the Tone Poet and MoFi records with cardboard inserts (record sandwich) rather than using bubble wrap, the records would slide less in transit. Maybe it will reduce splits? Worth a try to spare ya some returns? Or maybe it won't make any difference at all. I'm just thinking out loud. :)
I think you're onto something. I think back to all the small distros and one-man labels I ordered from in the '90s and early '00s who would overstuff the box with scrap cardboard sandwiched around records. Wasn't always pretty, but the records always seemed to be fine. Plaid Room, Acoustic Sounds, and Music Direct all use bubble wrap, and because they all clearly put care and time into packing their records, I assume they must know what they're doing. But I've received seam splits from all three, and I've found myself wondering if those packages overstuffed with cardboard that felt like bricks are maybe the way to go.

Back