Classic Vinyl Reissue Series – Release Schedule:

October 1, 2021

November 19, 2021 – Hard Bop

November 19, 2021 – The 70s

December 10, 2021 – Soul Jazz

• Jimmy Smith – Home Cookin’ (1958)
  • Reuben Wilson – Love Bug (1969)
December 10, 2021 – Hidden Gems

• Herbie Nichols – The Prophetic Herbie Nichols, Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 (1955)
  • Kenny Cox – Introducing Kenny Cox and The Contemporary Jazz Quintet (1968)
January 21, 2022 – The Avant-Garde

• Jackie McLean – Destination Out (1963)
  • Don Cherry – Where Is Brooklyn? (1966)
February 18, 2022 – Post-Bop

• Joe Henderson – Inner Urge (1964)
  • Lee Morgan – Caramba (1968)
March 18, 2022 – The Rebirth

• Cassandra Wilson – Blue Light ‘Til Dawn (1993)*
  • Geri Allen – Twenty One (1994)*
April 15, 2022 – Bebop

• Milt Jackson – Milt Jackson With John Lewis, Percy Heath, Kenny Clarke, Lou Donaldson And The Thelonious Monk Quintet (1948-52)
  • Bud Powell – Time Waits: The Amazing Bud Powell, Vol. 4 (1958)
I'll probably grab a few of those namely Blakey and Byrd.

Being a jazz newbie, I purchased my first Classic Series today in the form of Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Moanin' 😀
That's a great place to start your bop experience! Even though it is cliche Kind Of Blue should be on your list (the mono on Amz is a good press), and then Kind Of Blue, Cannonball Adderly's - Somethin' Else, and then some Coltrane, Bill Evans (the Tone Poet 64' is beautiful @Ghost , etc

New Classics lineup announced

October 1, 2021

April 15, 2022 – Bebop

• Milt Jackson – Milt Jackson With John Lewis, Percy Heath, Kenny Clarke, Lou Donaldson And The Thelonious Monk Quintet (1948-52)

Destination Out has my attention. Will probably end up grabbing the Milt Jackson as well. I'm not familiar with that Lee Morgan session, but maybe @Selaws is?

Destination Out has my attention.
Yes!! I bought the MM of this (not at an insane price, thankfully), and it never occurred to me it’d qualify for the Classic series, but, since they’re doing themed pairs, it makes sense. This album is amazing.

It’s become more and more apparent to me that, while I really enjoy all the swinging hard bop and other swingin’ BN titles, I’m most partial to the more “out” stuff they started releasing at least as early as Out To Lunch.

Among the underdogs in this realm, I just picked up a Japanese copy of Anthony Williams ”Spring” (1965), which almost nobody talks about except London Jazz Collector. I‘d never really listened to it before now and love it. The lineup is MVP (Wayne Shorter; Sam Rivers; Herbie; Gary Peacock). LJC says, “probably one of Sam River’s best albums, as well as one of Hancock’s best and a great Gary Peacock record.” Highly recommend if you’re into this kind of stuff, and highly do not recommend if you’re not.

A Discogs user says the tracks on Spring sound like the musicians are warming up their instruments, which was a criticism but caused me to think, “hmm, that sounds like something I’d like.”

Last edited:
That's a great place to start your bop experience! Even though it is cliche Kind Of Blue should be on your list (the mono on Amz is a good press), and then Kind Of Blue, Cannonball Adderly's - Somethin' Else, and then some Coltrane, Bill Evans (the Tone Poet 64' is beautiful @Ghost , etc
I have Kind of Blue (MOFI 45RPM 2LP Boxset)!

Being a jazz newbie, I purchased my first Classic Series today in the form of Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Moanin' 😀

I'll add Lee Morgan's Sidewinder and Dexter Gordon's Go to the mix!

Yes!! I bought the MM of this (not at an insane price, thankfully), and it never occurred to me it’d qualify for the Classic series, but, since they’re doing themed pairs, it makes sense. This album is amazing.

It’s become more and more apparent to me that, while I really enjoy all the swinging hard bop and other swingin’ BN titles, I’m most partial to the more “out” stuff they started releasing at least as early as Out To Lunch.

Among the underdogs in this realm, I just picked up a Japanese copy of Anthony Williams ”Spring” (1965), which almost nobody talks about except London Jazz Collector. I‘d never really listened to it before now and love it. The lineup is MVP (Wayne Shorter; Sam Rivers; Herbie; Gary Peacock). LJC says, “probably one of Sam River’s best albums, as well as one of Hancock’s best and a great Gary Peacock record.” Highly recommend if you’re into this kind of stuff, and highly do not recommend if you’re not.

A Discogs user says the tracks on Spring sound like the musicians are warming up their instruments, which was a criticism but caused me to think, “hmm, that sounds like something I’d like.”
I need to get Spring. Was just spinning Life Time the other day and the lineup on that one is excellent as well.

I need to get Spring. Was just spinning Life Time the other day and the lineup on that one is excellent as well.
Fwiw and it’s posted somewhere else, I have this version and it sounds unbelievable. Some people say Japanese pressings/masterings lack punch and low end. I don’t have enough experience w/ them or OGs to really know, but I would not say that about this press. Maybe I have crappy ears and bad listening skills. In any event, the vinyl is silent — like, actually silent — and my ears and system are good enough to hear that.

New Classics lineup announced

October 1, 2021

April 15, 2022 – Bebop

There are some stellar titles on this list, but I do feel like I will be out on some of these titles and I had been a Classics completist so far.

Destination Out has my attention. Will probably end up grabbing the Milt Jackson as well. I'm not familiar with that Lee Morgan session, but maybe @Selaws is?
I am indeed. It's a fantastic session in my opinion and marks the point where he starts exploring a less powerful approach to his playing (he was always a bravado when it came to solos). Instead, he tends to explore a softer side and his compositions (all 5 were his original compositions) allow for the side-men to shine. I believe I'm correct in saying that this is the first time we hear Bennie Maupin as part of the group and it's a great introduction, lots of superb playing from him as well.

IMG_7923.JPG

Am I imagining it or have they added some titles to the TP list? I didn't realise the Harold Vick was confirmed, don't remember the Bobby Hutcherson title being there.

TBA:

• Joe Pass – For Django (Pacific Jazz, 1964)
  • Stanley Turrentine – Rough ‘N Tumble (Blue Note, 1966)
  • Sonny Red – Out of the Blue (Blue Note, 1959-60)
  • Grant Green – The Latin Bit (Blue Note, 1962)
  • Hank Mobley – Curtain Call (Blue Note, 1957)
  • Jackie McLean – Tippin’ The Scales (Blue Note, 1962)
  • Gerald Wilson – Moment of Truth (Pacific Jazz, 1962)
  • Freddie Hubbard – Breaking Point! (Blue Note, 1964)
  • Kenny Burrell – Kenny Burrell (Blue Note, 1956)
  • Grant Green – Feelin’ The Spirit (Blue Note, 1962)
  • Harold Vick – Steppin’ Out (Blue Note, 1963)
  • Bobby Hutcherson – Stick Up! (Blue Note, 1966)
  • Chet Baker & Art Pepper – Picture of Heath (Pacific Jazz, 1956)
  • Blue Mitchell – Bring It Home To Me (Blue Note, 1966)
  • Donald Byrd – At The Half Note Cafe, Vol. 1 (Blue Note, 1960)
  • ScoLoHoFo (Scofield-Lovano-Holland-Foster) – Oh! (Blue Note, 2002)

Am I imagining it or have they added some titles to the TP list? I didn't realise the Harold Vick was confirmed, don't remember the Bobby Hutcherson title being there.

TBA:

i honestly can't keep track...

TBA:

I think those have been there over the summer under the coming soon title

Back