The Blue Note Thread

MikeH

Hadn’t visited Joe Harley’s IG in awhile and have missed some of those titles him and BoomBoom have been working on. Hot damn…maybe these had all been announced and I wasn’t paying attention. Some interesting comments about other titles that they want to do.

Kenny Burrell self-titled
Gerald Wilson - moment of truth
Harold Vick - steppin out
Freddie Hubbard - breaking point
Jackie McLean - tippin the scales
Grant green - the Latin bit
Sonny Redd - Out of the blue

potential titles:
Lee Morgan - Taru and Infinity

Andy

Hadn’t visited Joe Harley’s IG in awhile and have missed some of those titles him and BoomBoom have been working on. Hot damn…maybe these had all been announced and I wasn’t paying attention. Some interesting comments about other titles that they want to do.

Kenny Burrell self-titled
Gerald Wilson - moment of truth
Harold Vick - steppin out
Freddie Hubbard - breaking point
Jackie McLean - tippin the scales
Grant green - the Latin bit
Sonny Redd - Out of the blue

potential titles:
Lee Morgan - Taru and Infinity

I'd seen a few but not heard about the Lee Morgan's. Any reason why they are 'potential' is it a guess?

On the Deep Groove Mono blog that @JohnnyCashFan posted it had a bin of master tapes which looks to have 5 Lee Morgan tapes & 2 Duke Pearson, so I'm assuming 2 Lee Morgan Albums and a Duke Pearson. Might fit with Taru & Infinity

(I still need to get the latest Tone Poets, might have to wait a little while this time. I've not seen them reasonable priced anywhere for the UK)

1630788302348.png

MikeH

I'd seen a few but not heard about the Lee Morgan's. Any reason why they are 'potential' is it a guess?

On the Deep Groove Mono blog that @JohnnyCashFan posted it had a bin of master tapes which looks to have 5 Lee Morgan tapes & 2 Duke Pearson, so I'm assuming 2 Lee Morgan Albums and a Duke Pearson. Might fit with Taru & Infinity

(I still need to get the latest Tone Poets, might have to wait a little while this time. I've not seen them reasonable priced anywhere for the UK)

View attachment 111098
Someone asked in the comments if Joe had considered Lee Morgan - Taru for TP treatment and he said “yes as well as infinity”

RHANDMJ

Someone asked in the comments if Joe had considered Lee Morgan - Taru for TP treatment and he said “yes as well as infinity”
With the Bennie Maupin quintet now widely exposed via the Lighthouse set, Taru makes sense. It is a very good album. Infinity is earlier, and less essential, but still very worthwhile.

Dark Star Boogie

I knew as soon as I picked up Taru a year or so ago it would be a selection in the series at some point. Happy to see that, the music is wonderful! “Haeschen” is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I’ve ever heard.

Colonel4Bin

Just saw that BN released a “small quantity of overrun” copies of Live at the Lighthouse. I’m not really sure what that means, but it’s available again.

MikeH

a few overrun copies are available at the BN site for the Lee Morgan Lighthouse set if anybody wanted it and hasn't found it.

JohnnyCashFan

For anyone interested in Blue Note Tone Poet and Classic Series vinyl releases Doug at Paladin vinyl has created the Paladin Vinyl Needles and Grooves Buyers Club in the members section here in which he is offering N&G members certain releases at his cost. You can read more about the Club and Blue Note Releases poll below:

N&G Blue Note Poll

N&G Buyers Club General Info/FAQ

bother

Just saw that BN released a “small quantity of overrun” copies of Live at the Lighthouse. I’m not really sure what that means, but it’s available again.

Man I'm tempted. I've been streaming it pretty nonstop lately and the sessions are absolutely fantastic. I don't think I need this on vinyl but man, if anyone's on the fence, the music really is great.