The Blue Note Thread

The great Curtis Fuller recently passed away. He is underrated as a composer. He wrote some mighty fine tunes. Some favorite tunes written by Mr. Fuller with the Jazz Messengers. RIP.

Bu's Delight

Arabia

A La Mode

The Egyptian

Three Blind Mice

The great Curtis Fuller recently passed away. He is underrated as a composer. He wrote some mighty fine tunes. Some favorite tunes written by Mr. Fuller with the Jazz Messengers. RIP.

Bu's Delight

Arabia

A La Mode

The Egyptian

Three Blind Mice

No idea he wrote Alamode, thats one of my favorite jazz tracks out there. Infectious!

Well just put in a request Amazon for a new copy of Soul Station. The last track on both sides has serious no fill issues. To bad because the rest of the album was very quiet, even with all the small hairline scratches. I will try another copy but not holding out much luck for it.
My second copy of Moanin' still looked awful but plays clean without any of the no fill found on the first copy.
Second copy of Soul Station however is just as bad as the first in terms of no fill on side 2 final 2 tracks. Going to give up on this one until they repress.

Figure I need to give Soul Station a couple of tries before I ask for a refund. That said Amazon is out of stock on it so I might just be SOL
Yeah none of my locals even got it, and I have seen mention online of some store saying they were actually recalled. That's total heresay but MAYBE they're actually going to repress.

If I'm being honest these BN Quality issues have made me look even closer at the AS series coming this year, but I'm still hopeful for Katanga & Cool Struttin next month, and Midnight Blue, Idle Moments, etc.

If I'm being honest these BN Quality issues have made me look even closer at the AS series coming this year, but I'm still hopeful for Katanga & Cool Struttin next month, and Midnight Blue, Idle Moments, etc.

I was feeling like that earlier in the year, but I'm hopeful that they will sort it out.

For the Classics series , I'm going to have to buy from Amazon for a little while though, just to keep the option of free returns available.

edit - the AS series looks awesome

I ordered my Soul Station from udiscover and it sounded fine to me. However the cover was pretty dented. Basically it looks like the cover is about a 1/4 inch wider and taller than the record and inner sleeve, so it kind of buckled around the edges of the record. Also, it sounded fine on my system, but I don't have anything fancy that would be very sensitive, so I might just be blissfully ignorant, here.

I think my One Flight Up is being delayed by ordering Soul Station with it when I did the pre-order and that’s set to ‘more stock expected soon’. Damn!

Also it’d be great to have a notify me when back in stock feature on the U.K. site to be able to capture when some of the out of press classics and TP’s come back in.

I think my One Flight Up is being delayed by ordering Soul Station with it when I did the pre-order and that’s set to ‘more stock expected soon’. Damn!

Also it’d be great to have a notify me when back in stock feature on the U.K. site to be able to capture when some of the out of press classics and TP’s come back in.

I got an e-mail from Jazzmessengers saying they have got some back in stock, I don't know if you are looking for anything in particular

Just want to join the choir and echo what everyone is saying about the One Flight Up Tone Poet.
It’s an absolute delight to spin.

And it feels so, so good to finally replace the 75th Anniversary press.
Yeah, I sold my 75th too a few months ago when I knew this one was forthcoming. Sounds great.

One thing that strikes me about this album is how it's really an ensemble album. In fact, I would argue that Dexter Gordon's presence on it is the fourth out of four musicians that I notice on it. A side has an amazing Donald Byrd composition that showcases his trumpet, side B starts with a Kenny Drew composition where he stands out on keys, and then you've got some heavy bass by NHOP throughout. Not trying to slight Gordon here; actually a compliment to him for allowing the others to shine on a date where's he's ostensibly the leader.

Edit: Oops, forgot Art Taylor on drums. As @mitchwagz mentioned, he stands out too.

Last edited:
Back