The Blue Note Thread

Got my Moanin' a lot quicker than expected (it was originally estimated to ship in early May) and am happy to report no scuffs, no hairlines. Sounds divine. Hype sticker was partially scratched off for some reason but I'll somehow manage.

I got mine last week and it sounds good to me!

now I got to wait for See No Evil and Something else to get a repress.

Anybody spin the new tone Poet: Andrew Hill, Passing Ships? Very excited for this one (have the CD and it’s an incredible album) but someone on discogs just posted that the new remaster has clipping issues.

Anybody spin the new tone Poet: Andrew Hill, Passing Ships? Very excited for this one (have the CD and it’s an incredible album) but someone on discogs just posted that the new remaster has clipping issues.
I gave it a spin partly yesterday. Sounds fabulous. No issues so far. It hasnt even been listed on Discogs yet.

The Classics editions of Cool Struttin' and Back at the Chicken Shack are up on the Blue Note site for preorder for release on June 25th. Haven't seen a link on Amazon or other places yet. Let's hope they got the scratches figured out.

Well just put in a request Amazon for a new copy of Soul Station. The last track on both sides has serious no fill issues. To bad because the rest of the album was very quiet, even with all the small hairline scratches. I will try another copy but not holding out much luck for it.

SO relieved to hear this news. Yeah, someone wrote a review of the Tone Poet under the CD release, saying "clipping all over the place."
There is a bit of clipping that I have heard so far. Its mentioned even in the liner notes that there are some rough edges due to how they had to put this together. Overall it sounds great though.

There is a bit of clipping that I have heard so far. Its mentioned even in the liner notes that there are some rough edges due to how they had to put this together. Overall it sounds great though.

I think there will be a really interesting story behind this. @MikeH should get his victim 'Boom Boom' to tell us all what happened. Cascuna says they ignored the master (it was a train wreck) & only when listening to the multi tracks did they realise what a great session it was. I wonder if they have just done a straight cut from the 3 track, or created a new master? I wonder if this was different for the Cd & for the Tone Poet in any way?

In the liner notes, I think the rough edges he is referring to is possibly in the playing. It's in response to Andrew saying for a lot of the unreleased sessions he struggled to get the musicians to play the music the way he heard it and as a result some of the sessions were unsuccessful.

I've not heard any clipping yet (still on side 2 though & I'm not playing it loud ), it seems to have a decent dynamic range. (Then again I might not be able to tell where it is clipping, I am probably a little deaf).

What a great session though I think this will get repeated spins. I think it's a great TP, my only disappointment is that they couldn't find anything to stick on side 4 :)

I have the Dexter Gordon coming from America, looking forward to that one, some of the comments on cogs are that it's one of the best sounding TP's yet, anyone had a listen yet?

I have the Dexter Gordon coming from America, looking forward to that one, some of the comments on cogs are that it's one of the best sounding TP's yet, anyone had a listen yet?
Mine shipped a few days ago with UPS from somewhere in Maryland, ended up in New Jersey, was handed over to USPS and will arrive I don't know when in D.C. Go figure!

Mine shipped a few days ago with UPS from somewhere in Maryland, ended up in New Jersey, was handed over to USPS and will arrive I don't know when in D.C. Go figure!
That’s funny. I’m in Silver Spring, MD, and in the exact same boat. My Target order started out at UPS 15 miles from my house and was expected to be delivered Friday. Checked the tracking Friday morning and saw it was in NJ. Now expected delivery is next Wednesday. It’s not just USPS experiencing real problems these days. But in the end, it’s not a big deal. It’ll get here, and it will sound great.

That’s funny. I’m in Silver Spring, MD, and in the exact same boat. My Target order started out at UPS 15 miles from my house and was expected to be delivered Friday. Checked the tracking Friday morning and saw it was in NJ. Now expected delivery is next Wednesday. It’s not just USPS experiencing real problems these days. But in the end, it’s not a big deal. It’ll get here, and it will sound great.
Haha, yep exactly! Mine shipped from Target too, so they are together.

I think there will be a really interesting story behind this. @MikeH should get his victim 'Boom Boom' to tell us all what happened. Cascuna says they ignored the master (it was a train wreck) & only when listening to the multi tracks did they realise what a great session it was. I wonder if they have just done a straight cut from the 3 track, or created a new master? I wonder if this was different for the Cd & for the Tone Poet in any way?

In the liner notes, I think the rough edges he is referring to is possibly in the playing. It's in response to Andrew saying for a lot of the unreleased sessions he struggled to get the musicians to play the music the way he heard it and as a result some of the sessions were unsuccessful.

I've not heard any clipping yet (still on side 2 though & I'm not playing it loud ), it seems to have a decent dynamic range. (Then again I might not be able to tell where it is clipping, I am probably a little deaf).

What a great session though I think this will get repeated spins. I think it's a great TP, my only disappointment is that they couldn't find anything to stick on side 4 :)

This depends. If they remixed the multi-tracks to analog tape, then that would be what was used for the TP. If they mixed the multis to digital, which is likely, they would not have used that for the TP. Assuming the master tape is as bad as Cuscuna says, they would have had to remix again to analog.

Back