The Blue Note Thread

Tone Poet: Kevin Gray mastered, pressed at RTI, gatefold cover, plastic sleeves, zero flaws so far.
BN Classic: Kevin Gray mastered, pressed at Optimal, no gatefold, paper sleeves originally, now plastic internal sleeves, flaws in the Soul Station and Moanin' records.

Tone Poet: Kevin Gray mastered, pressed at RTI, gatefold cover, plastic sleeves, zero flaws so far.
BN Classic: Kevin Gray mastered, pressed at Optimal, no gatefold, paper sleeves originally, now plastic internal sleeves, flaws in the Soul Station and Moanin' records.
Also - Tone Poet tend to be less popular / hidden gem titles while Classic series are some of the heavy hitters in the BN catalog. And TP’s retail at $35 vs $25 for Classics.

Ok guys Tanya. Why do people like it so much?

I listened to it a couple of times. It’s a great way to open up an album. The released expansive feeling of the song make you want to sit down and pay attention. That piano camp is a good hook. The melody is nice. It’s a 12 bar blues right. With a more be boppy turn around at the 4-5-1. They way Dexter comes in for his solo is great. He has such a strong, earthy, relaxed personality. Maybe it was because it’s so far into the song, but I wasn’t impressed with Byrd on this solo. He seems to wander a bit and not present as cohesive of a solo.

I know we have a lot of Jazz fans in this thread, Is creation of a dedicated Acoustic Sounds Verve Ume thread warranted or should that conversation be included in the Jazz and or Definitive Pressings Threads ? The first two titles are scheduled to be released tomorrow. (Ray Charles and Gil Evans).

Last edited:
In addition to One Flight Up, also got in Moanin, Passing Ships, and Soul Station. All are great, Passing Ships’ sound isn’t quite as good as the other three. I’m comparing my Moanin’ to the MM release and they are pretty darn close. One difference is that MM includes the studio banter before Moanin’ starts which is always cool. The Classics release is actually quieter than the MM release ha! These classics releases are such a good value. You aren’t missing a whole lot compared to the MM at least.

I know we have a lot of Jazz fans in this thread, Is creation of a dedicated Acoustic Sounds Verve Ume thread warranted or should that conversation be included in the Jazz and or Definitive Pressings Threads ? The first two titles are scheduled to be released tomorrow. (Charles and Gil).
I’m fine with having these convo in the Jazz thread. I don’t think it warrants a dedicated thread.

Ok guys Tanya. Why do people like it so much?

I listened to it a couple of times. It’s a great way to open up an album. The released expansive feeling of the song make you want to sit down and pay attention. That piano camp is a good hook. The melody is nice. It’s a 12 bar blues right. With a more be boppy turn around at the 4-5-1. They way Dexter comes in for his solo is great. He has such a strong, earthy, relaxed personality. Maybe it was because it’s so far into the song, but I wasn’t impressed with Byrd on this solo. He seems to wander a bit and not present as cohesive of a solo.
Yeah I agree, Byrd did not have a good solo. Dexter’s sound is great and his solo is ok but goes a bit too long for me. I liked Kenny Drew’s solo though. I think musically, maybe side 2 is better, but the whole thing sounds really good!

Maybe it's because he isn't one of the "cool cats" that are usually hyped around the internet, but I haven't seen any talk about the upcoming album by guitarist Julian Lage. If you're not familiar with his work I recommend checking out his playing on the Charles Lloyd record from last year, or any of the videos I'm sharing here. He's definitely a virtuoso and sounds like no other guitar player I've heard, mixing jazz with blues, country, rock and alternative music, and with an approach to the instrument that is often reminiscent of a pianist.

Anyway, I'm really excited for this new album, and you can order a signed colored copy on the Blue Note store for $23, so I think it is well worth the gamble even if you're not familiar with his music.

Last edited:
Maybe it's because he isn't one of the "cool cats" that is usually hyped around the internet, but I haven't seen any talk about the upcoming album by guitarist Julian Lage. If you're not familiar with his work I recommend checking out his playing on the Charles Lloyd record from last year, or any of the videos I'm sharing here. He's definitely a virtuoso and sounds like no other guitar player I've heard, mixing jazz with blues, country, rock and alternative music, and with an approach to the instrument that is often reminiscent of a pianist.

Anyway, I'm really excited for this new album, and you can order a signed colored vinyl on the Blue Note store for $23, so I think is well worth the gamble even if you're not familiar with his music.

I’ve been listening g to the singles that are out. Me and my kid were dancing to Boos Blues when I was making dinner the other night. Zorn uses him for a lot of a classical acoustic stuff.

Maybe it's because he isn't one of the "cool cats" that are usually hyped around the internet, but I haven't seen any talk about the upcoming album by guitarist Julian Lage. If you're not familiar with his work I recommend checking out his playing on the Charles Lloyd record from last year, or any of the videos I'm sharing here. He's definitely a virtuoso and sounds like no other guitar player I've heard, mixing jazz with blues, country, rock and alternative music, and with an approach to the instrument that is often reminiscent of a pianist.

Anyway, I'm really excited for this new album, and you can order a signed colored copy on the Blue Note store for $23, so I think it is well worth the gamble even if you're not familiar with his music.

15% off on the entire Blue Note Store. $19.53 USD for the signed and colored wax is a steal.

Coincidentally just stumbled onto his music this morning and enjoyed it greatly. Think I'll take the plunge with this while I preorder Cool Struttin, Back at The Chicken Shack, and grab Soul Station while I'm at it.

Coincidentally just stumbled onto his music this morning and enjoyed it greatly. Think I'll take the plunge with this while I preorder Cool Struttin, Back at The Chicken Shack, and grab Soul Station while I'm at it.
Looks like he plays with Nels Cline a bit, I'll need to check it out. Guess I'll be seeing him in Janaury.

Be careful with Soul Station, it is a really crappy pressing. Lots of people have had no-fill issues on the last track on side 1. I had to send my back to Amazon.

Be careful with Soul Station, it is a really crappy pressing. Lots of people have had no-fill issues on the last track on side 1. I had to send my back to Amazon.
Yep, I went through 2 both riddled with no fill on side 1 and scratched all to hell.

Back