The Blue Note Thread

Be careful with Soul Station, it is a really crappy pressing. Lots of people have had no-fill issues on the last track on side 1. I had to send my back to Amazon.
Yep, I went through 2 both riddled with no fill on side 1 and scratched all to hell.
Maaaaaddddaaafaaaaaakkkaaaa! Maybe I’ll just grab that one from Amazon so I can get easy returns and the sort.

Listening to Andrew Hill's Passing Ships. Got it through the UDiscover Music 25% off sale. I'm really enjoying it. It's not at all what I expected based on other Andrew Hill albums.
I haven't purchased it yet, but this is one of the 2020-2021 Tone Poet releases I'm most excited for.

there seems to be a recent pressing of this from the 75th anniversary, wondering if it would be worth a punt?

Those Blue Note 75 reissues were generally not great pressings. They seem to range in quality from “awful” to “ok”. That said, they’re relatively cheap, and if you get an “ok” press to hold you over until a reasonably priced audiophile pressing comes along, it might be worth it.

EDIT: looks the 75th reissues I have were pressed at United, whereas the 80th anniversary presses were done at Optimal. My comments in discogs for each of my copies note a fair amount of pops (some of which I was able to get rid of with deeper cleaning) and also a lack of dynamic range.

Last edited:
Those Blue Note 75 reissues were generally not great pressings. They seem to range in quality from “awful” to “ok”. That said, they’re relatively cheap, and if you get an “ok” press to hold you over until a reasonably priced audiophile pressing comes along, it might be worth it.

EDIT: looks the 75th reissues I have were pressed at United, whereas the 80th anniversary presses were done at Optimal. My comments in discogs for each of my copies note a fair amount of pops (some of which I was able to get rid of with deeper cleaning) and also a lack of dynamic range.

This must be a repress though, I wonder if the repress will have the same issues? it's suddenly turned up in stores in Europe & America.

This must be a repress though, I wonder if the repress will have the same issues? it's suddenly turned up in stores in Europe & America.
I think if it were a repress, they would have included it in the BN Classics series (many of which were also previously reissued as 75th anniversary presses in 2014). Everything listed in the details on that site though references the 75th anniversary reissue.

Some of those 75th re are still available in stores, like these: Hank Mobley-No Room For Squares-Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds

If it were me, I’d probably try to get one of the japanese 70s represses like this one: Amazon product ASIN B0001GAROW
EDIT: or this one, which might have a better shipping rate to the UK (and is graded in better condition):

Last edited:
I think if it were a repress, they would have included it in the BN Classics series (many of which were also previously reissued as 75th anniversary presses in 2014). Everything listed in the details on that site though references the 75th anniversary reissue.

Some of those 75th re are still available in stores, like these: Hank Mobley-No Room For Squares-Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds

If it were me, I’d probably try to get one of the japanese 70s represses like this one: Amazon product ASIN B0001GAROW
EDIT: or this one, which might have a better shipping rate to the UK (and is graded in better condition):

Yeah, I have a few from that series. Just think it's weird that a 75 series record has been listed as 'new' on a couple of sites. & on Music Direct it comes up if you filter on recent additions.

They probably found a warehouse full of them or something.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but has anyone else got a terrible pressing of Speak No Evil (Blue Note 80) ? I tracked a copy down a couple months ago on Amazon, that finally got here (from the Netherlands I believe) and out of the package it's a nightmare. Weird distortion, and lots of crazy visible.and audible scratches like this:PXL_20210530_062144144.jpg

Discogs has lots of others complaining as well. I'm going to return it, I don't feel like the chance of replacement is very high, seems pretty sold out. But I can't feel good spending money on this , i tolerate some mediocre pressings but this is actually unlistenable.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but has anyone else got a terrible pressing of Speak No Evil (Blue Note 80) ? I tracked a copy down a couple months ago on Amazon, that finally got here (from the Netherlands I believe) and out of the package it's a nightmare. Weird distortion, and lots of crazy visible.and audible scratches like this:View attachment 101061

Discogs has lots of others complaining as well. I'm going to return it, I don't feel like the chance of replacement is very high, seems pretty sold out. But I can't feel good spending money on this , i tolerate some mediocre pressings but this is actually unlistenable.
Oh man! Mine is absolutely perfect. There’s definitely good copies out there but yours is unacceptable. I would wait until it comes back in print widely so you can get one from a reputable place with a good return policy.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but has anyone else got a terrible pressing of Speak No Evil (Blue Note 80) ? I tracked a copy down a couple months ago on Amazon, that finally got here (from the Netherlands I believe) and out of the package it's a nightmare. Weird distortion, and lots of crazy visible.and audible scratches like this:View attachment 101061

Mine sounds fine but BN seems to have had real QC troubles on the Classics series, which is so strange since the BN80 series is the same in everything but name. I blame there terrible sandpaper inners.

Looks like nobody told the new guy to etch the deadwax and not the actual tracks.

Oh man! Mine is absolutely perfect. There’s definitely good copies out there but yours is unacceptable. I would wait until it comes back in print widely so you can get one from a reputable place with a good return policy.
Yeah, love the album, hopefully it comes back in print. Seems I would have to pay shipping back to Amsterdam to return it, so I'm sorta boned on this one it looks like.

Yeah, love the album, hopefully it comes back in print. Seems I would have to pay shipping back to Amsterdam to return it, so I'm sorta boned on this one it looks like.
Not sure if you are in the US, but Brothers KC in Merriam, Kansas had a used Speak No Evil BN Classics in their used bins for $18. It may not still be there, but may be worth a quick phone call to their shop. That's probably my favorite local shop, always have a great selection of jazz, excellent grading, and affordable prices.

(913) 766-3869

Mine sounds fine but BN seems to have had real QC troubles on the Classics series, which is so strange since the BN80 series is the same in everything but name. I blame there terrible sandpaper inners.
Yep, I have no idea how Classics ended with a run of records where pressing quality is all over the place, given that BN80 were pretty much flawless.

Yep, I have no idea how Classics ended with a run of records where pressing quality is all over the place, given that BN80 were pretty much flawless.
I mean, if they were tooo good, we wouldn't be as tempted to shell out for the deluxe editions they probably have coming in a couple years, haha. I'm sure there would be plenty of demand for a few blue note one steps with fancy vinyl formula or whatever.

I think part of it too is that there have already been so many delays this year that they might be just rushing to get these things out and cutting a few corners on QC.

Back