The Blue Note Thread

Anybody heard the Art Blakey title that VMP are releasing?

So I'm curious, you guys think MM will drop the next two SRX titles this month or not?

Have just started getting more into Jazz and Blue Note Records and have made a few purchases (Miles Davis, John Coltrane etc) but what are peoples favourite Blue Notes for me to listen to? Wanting to build up my collection with quality!

Have just started getting more into Jazz and Blue Note Records and have made a few purchases (Miles Davis, John Coltrane etc) but what are peoples favourite Blue Notes for me to listen to? Wanting to build up my collection with quality!
If you let us know what kinds of things you like so far, I’m sure we can all suggest some albums! You’re choosing a great time to get into jazz as the Tone Poet and BN80 series are really great quality and at a good price! If you’re in the US I think Blue Note is still having a 30% off sale with free shipping over a certain amount.

Yes a great time to get into jazz and Blue Note. Just scrolling through this thread will give you a ton of suggestions, then give them a stream. But the quality of pressings and of music of the Blue Note 80th anniversary (BN80) reissues and the Tone Poet (TP) series have been great.

Pick out a few safe titles by the big names like Miles and Trane, but take a few chances as well. I have bought several titles in the last year on a whim after a quick stream and have been totally happy.

Also check out the Jazz thread for great suggestions. There is a ton of new artists that are producing top notch work right now, so why not support an active musician as well.

Maiden Voyage and Idle Moments are live on MMJ!
Already gone :eek:😭 Really wanted that Idle Moments.

Maybe my math is off btw, but didn't they say that they would go live at 9 am pacific time? That is 6 pm CET, which is in half an hour from me typing this.

Already gone :eek:😭 Really wanted that Idle Moments.

Maybe my math is off btw, but didn't they say that they would go live at 9 am pacific time? That is 6 pm CET, which is in half an hour from me typing this.

Well got up at 5 am and was able to get Idle Moments 🥳

Maiden Voyage dissapeard from my cart while I was putting in my payment info, but I'm not that sad about tbh.

Both gone with 10 minutes😅 The fomo is reaching VMP levels.

Here's some Blue Note recommendations for starting off:

Grant Green - Idle Moments
Lee Morgan - Sidewinder
Art Blakey - Moanin'
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin Else
Dexter Gordon - Go

As mentioned already, check out the jazz thread for more recommendations.

Keep in mind there's a jazz festival every year at the Gateshead Sage near you. This year's festival was cancelled, but hopefully it will be rearranged once things calm down.

Back