The Blue Note Thread

Looks like the UK store now has the 30% discount, bu they have an issue with the implementation.

The discount is applied at face value to pretty much all the old TP's & BN80's but the latest ones and pre-orders seem to be excluded. I suspect it's an issue with the implementation as the banner states 30% off entire store. Hopefully they will sort it out.

Looks like the UK store now has the 30% discount, bu they have an issue with the implementation.

The discount is applied at face value to pretty much all the old TP's & BN80's but the latest ones and pre-orders seem to be excluded. I suspect it's an issue with the implementation as the banner states 30% off entire store. Hopefully they will sort it out.

thanks for bringing this up . im really tempted now to buy some things.

damn, shipping outside the UK aint nice...

Last edited:
Anyone know what the story is with the new Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers album that’s coming out April 24? Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers Just Coolin' LP

I guess it’s an unreleased recording but haven’t found anything on mastering or source or anything. It is on Blue Note too.
I think this is a record from the vaults that is actually supposed to be kinda bad. I read something about how Michael Cuscuna said it would never be released, but now BN is releasing it anyway. I haven’t heard it though.

I think this is a record from the vaults that is actually supposed to be kinda bad. I read something about how Michael Cuscuna said it would never be released, but now BN is releasing it anyway. I haven’t heard it though.
Truthfully, that’s what I was thinking too. It’s such a classic lineup though it’s hard not to buy anything from that era of Messengers. I’ll pass initially.

This kind of makes me want to buy it now. I mean, what does "too bad to release" even sound like?

If anybody is looking to buy some OG Blue Note pressings, my local store is selling tons of 🔥🔥 since they have had to shut their physical locations. Selling the high end stuff on their Instagram page:

Lots of soul and Brazilian music too. And some cheaper albums as well.

If anybody is looking to buy some OG Blue Note pressings, my local store is selling tons of 🔥🔥 since they have had to shut their physical locations. Selling the high end stuff on their Instagram page:

Lots of soul and Brazilian music too. And some cheaper albums as well.
Thanks for sharing. I was curious, I see that OG Idle Moments was listed at $600 and sold already! This is probably a bit out of my budget at this point :) I don't know what is this is going for these days; I'm curious, was this a good deal or just a fair price? Any comments?

Here's the listing: Idle Moments
Most expensive recent sold eBay listing $419 (not sure how this compares yet)

This probably means that I'm in for the MMJ SRX of Idle Moments as I don't own this yet but would like to...

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I was curious, I see that OG Idle Moments was listed at $600 and sold already! This is probably a bit out of my budget at this point :) I don't know what is this is going for these days; I'm curious, was this a good deal or just a fair price? Any comments?

Here's the listing: Idle Moments
Most expensive recent sold eBay listing $419 (not sure how this compares yet)

This probably means that I'm in for the MMJ SRX of Idle Moments as I don't own this yet but would like to...
I'd say it's probably a decent price if the condition is as good as it says it is. From my experience, they are really fair and conservative with grading on records. The shop isn't really known for ripping people off and usually have very fair prices (typically they err on the side of median discogs listings for used stuff). I also wouldn't be surprised if they are charging a little extra with everything going on since they have lost a huge part of their revenue stream with their 3 stores in different parts of NYC being shut. Discogs only has 1 OG press available for sale at $633 in VG+ condition with VG sleeve.

I'd say it's probably a decent price if the condition is as good as it says it is. From my experience, they are really fair and conservative with grading on records. The shop isn't really known for ripping people off and usually have very fair prices (typically they err on the side of median discogs listings for used stuff). I also wouldn't be surprised if they are charging a little extra with everything going on since they have lost a huge part of their revenue stream with their 3 stores in different parts of NYC being shut. Discogs only has 1 OG press available for sale at $633 in VG+ condition with VG sleeve.
Thanks, Mike! Something to aspire to someday I guess :)

Posting these so I don’t buy them myself...Commonwealth Records is selling some good stuff for what I think are good prices on their IG:

Andrew Hill- Smokestack (appears to be a 1st pressing?) $90

Lee Morgan- Sidewinder (early stereo press, RVG + ear)- $85

Some other goodies on there too. I almost bought Smokestack but I’m trying to save money haha

Posting these so I don’t buy them myself...Commonwealth Records is selling some good stuff for what I think are good prices on their IG:

Andrew Hill- Smokestack (appears to be a 1st pressing?) $90

Lee Morgan- Sidewinder (early stereo press, RVG + ear)- $85

Some other goodies on there too. I almost bought Smokestack but I’m trying to save money haha

Damn those are nice, tempted to get that Lee Morgan

Want to get that 30% discount on BN. What are some good titles?

I've got:

Cornbread
ETC
Contours

That all I can recall now lol.

I've got:

Cornbread
ETC
Contours

For the BN80s:
Andrew Hill - Smokestack (on preorder)
Pete LaRoca - Basra
any Grant Green
All of the ones I have so far are great so if you have a favorite artist or instrument, just start there

Tone Poets:
Can’t really go wrong IMO...but Chet Baker Sings has been a nice calming album for me as of late. I always recommend Chick Corea as well. I have most of the TPs at this point and they are all great.

I've got:

Cornbread
ETC
Contours

Don't think you can go wrong with any of them, but I've really enjoyed...

TP:
Chet Baker - Chet Baker Sings
Grant Green - Born to Be Blue
Baby Face Willette - Face to Face

BN80:
Jutta Hipp - Jutta Hipp w/ Zoot Simms
Kenny Dorham - Una Mas
Joe Henderson - In 'N Out
Art Blakey - Indestructible

Back