The Blue Note Thread

So are there any good sounding BN75s? How does the Maiden Voyage sound if anyone has it?

For anyone interested, the 15% coupon code at Acoustic Sounds works with the limited stock items (Blue train, Somethin Else, etc).

For anyone interested, the 15% coupon code at Acoustic Sounds works with the limited stock items (Blue train, Somethin Else, etc).
Damn...nearly everything I saw that I wanted is mostly backordered and code doesn't work. It's probably a blessing in disguise as I'm trying to cut back on vinyl purchases for the time being...

Damn...nearly everything I saw that I wanted is mostly backordered and code doesn't work. It's probably a blessing in disguise as I'm trying to cut back on vinyl purchases for the time being...

I hear ya, I'm trying to resist buying anything else lol. I ordered a few of the limited stock before this code was released because I thought they would sell out quick. Now considering getting Somethin Else and Idle Moments, but man this stuff aint cheap even with the discount. And they marked up Maiden Voyage to $95!!!

I hear ya, I'm trying to resist buying anything else lol. I ordered a few of the limited stock before this code was released because I thought they would sell out quick. Now considering getting Somethin Else and Idle Moments, but man this stuff aint cheap even with the discount. And they marked up Maiden Voyage to $95!!!
yea...I hate that shit. they did the same with Blue Train and others. AS and MM have both tried to take advantage of the second hand market pricing and jacked up their prices after miraculously finding more copies of certain popular albums...

yea...I hate that shit. they did the same with Blue Train and others. AS and MM have both tried to take advantage of the second hand market pricing and jacked up their prices after miraculously finding more copies of certain popular albums...

It really sucks for us as fans. The only company I haven't really seen do this is MOFI. Like I haven't seen them all of a sudden get Bitches Brew back in stock and mark it up to $100. Even when they repressed KOB it was still the same price.

Anyone get shipping notifications for their Blue Note sale purchases yet? Wondering if those are delayed

Some info via Joe Harly:

“Hi everyone,

Just wanted to drop in to offer my profound hope that you all remain healthy and safe during this incredibly stressful time for the world.

Here’s what I can tell you at the present time:
April 24

· Lee Morgan – The Cooker (Blue Note, 1957)

· Duke Ellington – Money Jungle (United Artists, 1962)

· Lonnie Smith – All In My Mind (Blue Note, 2017)

The three above will all come out as scheduled.

June 26

· Stanley Turrentine – That’s Where It’s At (Blue Note, 1962)

· Bobby Hutcherson – The Kicker (Blue Note, 1963)

· Jackie McLean – It’s Time (Blue Note, 1964)

· Joe Henderson – The State of the Tenor: Live at the Village Vanguard, Volume 1 (Blue Note, 1985)

The four above have all been mastered, stampers created and the artwork has all been prepared and approved.

July 24

· Horace Silver – Further Explorations (Blue Note, 1958)

· Jimmy Smith – Prayer Meetin’ (Blue Note, 1963)

August 28

· Herbie Hancock – My Point of View (Blue Note, 1963)

· Duke Pearson – The Phantom (Blue Note, 1968)

The above four have all been mastered, stampers have been created and I've received test pressings.

September 25

· Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Roots & Herbs (Blue Note, 1961)

· Bobby Hutcherson – Oblique (Blue Note, 1967)

The above two have been mastered and stampers made. I have received test pressings of Roots & Herbs but not Oblique, which I will not receive until RTI reopens.

October 23

· Tina Brooks – The Waiting Game (Blue Note, 1961)

· McCoy Tyner – Tender Moments (Blue Note, 1967)

November 20

· Donald Byrd – Byrd In Flight (Blue Note, 1960)

· Lee Morgan – The Rajah (Blue Note, 1966)

The above four have all been mastered (just two weeks ago during a two-day mastering marathon!) and thankfully were all plated the next day, just like I demand, even though RTI was about to shut down.

December 11

· Paul Chambers – Bass On Top (Blue Note, 1957)

· John Scofield & Pat Metheny – I Can See Your House From Here (Blue Note, 1993)

The above two have not yet been mastered but hopefully, we’ll get to these very soon. Kevin and I will do our best to practice social distancing at the console!

Work continues on at Blue Note as we all work from home. And some very exciting new projects are being discussed as well!

Again, my personal best wishes for your collective good health!

Joe”

Source: Post in Blue Note Vinyl Spinners group on FB

Some info via Joe Harly:

“Hi everyone,

Just wanted to drop in to offer my profound hope that you all remain healthy and safe during this incredibly stressful time for the world.

Here’s what I can tell you at the present time:
April 24

· Lee Morgan – The Cooker (Blue Note, 1957)

· Duke Ellington – Money Jungle (United Artists, 1962)

· Lonnie Smith – All In My Mind (Blue Note, 2017)

The three above will all come out as scheduled.

June 26

· Stanley Turrentine – That’s Where It’s At (Blue Note, 1962)

· Bobby Hutcherson – The Kicker (Blue Note, 1963)

· Jackie McLean – It’s Time (Blue Note, 1964)

· Joe Henderson – The State of the Tenor: Live at the Village Vanguard, Volume 1 (Blue Note, 1985)

The four above have all been mastered, stampers created and the artwork has all been prepared and approved.

July 24

· Horace Silver – Further Explorations (Blue Note, 1958)

· Jimmy Smith – Prayer Meetin’ (Blue Note, 1963)

August 28

· Herbie Hancock – My Point of View (Blue Note, 1963)

· Duke Pearson – The Phantom (Blue Note, 1968)

The above four have all been mastered, stampers have been created and I've received test pressings.

September 25

· Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Roots & Herbs (Blue Note, 1961)

· Bobby Hutcherson – Oblique (Blue Note, 1967)

The above two have been mastered and stampers made. I have received test pressings of Roots & Herbs but not Oblique, which I will not receive until RTI reopens.

October 23

· Tina Brooks – The Waiting Game (Blue Note, 1961)

· McCoy Tyner – Tender Moments (Blue Note, 1967)

November 20

· Donald Byrd – Byrd In Flight (Blue Note, 1960)

· Lee Morgan – The Rajah (Blue Note, 1966)

The above four have all been mastered (just two weeks ago during a two-day mastering marathon!) and thankfully were all plated the next day, just like I demand, even though RTI was about to shut down.

December 11

· Paul Chambers – Bass On Top (Blue Note, 1957)

· John Scofield & Pat Metheny – I Can See Your House From Here (Blue Note, 1993)

The above two have not yet been mastered but hopefully, we’ll get to these very soon. Kevin and I will do our best to practice social distancing at the console!

Work continues on at Blue Note as we all work from home. And some very exciting new projects are being discussed as well!

Again, my personal best wishes for your collective good health!

Joe”

Source: Post in Blue Note Vinyl Spinners group on FB
Does working from home mean they can’t ship out my sale items 🤔

Does working from home mean they can’t ship out my sale items 🤔
Which did ya order? I know shipping has been really slow and I thought I read that only one person is shipping everything out due to isolation. Also if one item is out of stock or preordered it won’t ship...

Which did ya order? I know shipping has been really slow and I thought I read that only one person is shipping everything out due to isolation. Also if one item is out of stock or preordered it won’t ship...
I got

- Grant Green - Nigeria
- Chet Baker
- Jutta Hipp

really excited to listen to them I’m just getting impatient lol

Nice article about Hank Mobley in the New Yorker which makes me wish there were a Tone Poet of Mobley’s A Slice of the Top. Always tough to read about deceased artists who were disenfranchised with their careers after they’re over, but are celebrated after their death.

Nice article about Hank Mobley in the New Yorker which makes me wish there were a Tone Poet of Mobley’s A Slice of the Top. Always tough to read about deceased artists who were disenfranchised with their careers after they’re over, but are celebrated after their death.

Yeah agreed. Poppin was a good album but A Slice is really ambitious and one of his very best efforts. I really need to pick up a copy one of these days. The original release from the late 70’s or whatever is quite cheap. But a nice deluxe gatefold and remaster would be ideal. I would expect more of him if the Tone Poet series continues.

Yeah agreed. Poppin was a good album but A Slice is really ambitious and one of his very best efforts. I really need to pick up a copy one of these days. The original release from the late 70’s or whatever is quite cheap. But a nice deluxe gatefold and remaster would be ideal. I would expect more of him if the Tone Poet series continues.
Im hoping at some point the Tone Poets will hone in on the more obscure cross over records, which often sees the bigger musicians at the beginning of their careers. So with Hank Mobley in mind, things like 'Hank Mobley With Donald Byrd And Lee Morgan' (1957). There's loads of these for different musicians and they haven't really ever had a solid reissue.

Back