The Blue Note Thread

Yeah It's easy to get caught up in all the hype, I've bought a few of the TP's but I'm not really a Guitar Jazz fan esp so I'd never or very rarely listen to Grant Green for example . Contours /Black Fire is my favourite of what I've got . Chick Corea is good too .
good advice and very sensible. I've fallen into the trap of buying pretty much all the Tone Poets as a matter of course. I don't have time to listen to them all anyway, but what I found interesting is some that I didn't think I liked on first listen, when I've listened again have become my favourites. But I do have a lot of records that don't get played.

Yeah It's easy to get caught up in all the hype, I've bought a few of the TP's but I'm not really a Guitar Jazz fan esp so I'd never or very rarely listen to Grant Green for example . Contours /Black Fire is my favourite of what I've got . Chick Corea is good too .

I totally get what you mean. Some inspire me and others will sit there. There are so many great re-issues to spend your money on as well. Just got the Clark Terry album on SAM Records, just sounds amazing.

I think it's "Ken Burns: Jazz", if youre in the UK you can watch it on Amazon Prime as you get a free 7 day trial of PBS.

If you have Netflix, you can also watch "Chasing Trane", a John Coltrane documentary, and "I called him Morgan", a Lee Morgan documentary. Both are very much worth a watch.

The Ken Burns series is so freakin good. I've probably rewatched it like 5 times since I first saw it in a college class. They fit a ton of history into those episodes, felt like they coulda done 100 episodes and still not covered everything.

I totally get what you mean. Some inspire me and others will sit there. There are so many great re-issues to spend your money on as well. Just got the Clark Terry album on SAM Records, just sounds amazing.
SAM records is a favorite of mine. Every release I have of theirs is top notch and they pay attention to every tiny detail to get things right. I have a bunch of Chet Baker records by them, the Nathan Davis, Thelonious Monk, and the John Lewis and Sasha Distel records. Already have an older copy of the Donald Byrd in Paris record otherwise would have grabbed one of those too. I feel like SAM doesn’t get enough love so I recommend y’all check them out!

I second the Chick Corea recommendation. Still one of my favorite TPs so far mostly because I was really surprised by how much I enjoy it.

I think it's "Ken Burns: Jazz", if youre in the UK you can watch it on Amazon Prime as you get a free 7 day trial of PBS.

If you have Netflix, you can also watch "Chasing Trane", a John Coltrane documentary, and "I called him Morgan", a Lee Morgan documentary. Both are very much worth a watch.

I searched for the Ken Burns thing last night but haven’t started watching it yet. Ended up watching live at Ronnie Scott’s, a 3 part series from 1985,the episodes cover Nina Simone, Chet Baker with Van Morrison and Elvis Costello, and Art Blakey.

So far I’ve only watched the Nina episode but it was fantastic, sounded great through the hi fi, and amazing performance. I don’t know if thIs has already been discussed over in the Jazz thread, but well worth a watch.

also started to watch (on amazon Prime) a doc about Bill Evans, when I finish that I’ll get to the Ken burns series 🙂

The Ken Burns series is so freakin good. I've probably rewatched it like 5 times since I first saw it in a college class. They fit a ton of history into those episodes, felt like they coulda done 100 episodes and still not covered everything.
Yea I think it's time I rewatched it. Wish they'd rework the last episode (mid 60s onwards) as there's a bunch of episodes they could add in its place.

I'll probably try and get thru the Miles Davis autobiography first as that's been an eye opener so far!

30% off (and Free US Shipping) at the Blue Note store on Tone Poets and BN80 albums:

I hope they do the same at the UK store.

So that means no more BN80 pressings. I wonder what's next??

The May 80th Anniversary titles are up for preorder on Amazon

Andrew Hill - Smoke Stack

Kenny Dorham - Trompeta Toccata

Larry Young - Into Somethin'

The May 80th Anniversary titles are up for preorder on Amazon

Andrew Hill - Smoke Stack

Kenny Dorham - Trompeta Toccata

Larry Young - Into Somethin'

Psyched for this batch, I've been really looking forward to the Young and the Hill, and I bet the Dorham will surprise me and be the best of the bunch.

Back