That Escalated Quickly (aka Common Records Turned Rare)

What is up with this release? Why did it go crazy? Aren't there plans to repress this one?
Select Mondo pressings seem to go for big bucks no matter how many times they repress it. I should have held on to my Mondo Daft Punk Tron a little longer, but oh well. It was an impulse purchase and helped fund some room treatments partially.

Select Mondo pressings seem to go for big bucks no matter how many times they repress it. I should have held on to my Mondo Daft Punk Tron a little longer, but oh well. It was an impulse purchase and helped fund some room treatments partially.
Mondo stuff is so odd. It yo-yos around a lot. Like the Hannibal OST - it’s gone over $200 and back down to retail before finally settling around the $70 range. Other stuff never really moves. Can’t figure out the rhyme or reason for it.

Saw someone post this one for $200 on Facebook. Checked Discogs and they’ve sold around $100-$120 but lowest asking price is *$300*

These hung around at MSRP for a while, surprised at how high it’s gotten.

Last edited:
Mondo stuff is so odd. It yo-yos around a lot. Like the Hannibal OST - it’s gone over $200 and back down to retail before finally settling around the $70 range. Other stuff never really moves. Can’t figure out the rhyme or reason for it.
I think a lot of it has to do with the actual shows/movies associated. If something hasn't been on streaming or TV for awhile, and gets picked up, we see the jump. Or new releases have a FOMO spike that over saturates then settles. I do think Mondo generally has very cool pressings, but a huge part of their after market is directly related to the screen version hype.

If you were to somehow get word of productions getting picked up on streaming, or movies getting reboots, it would be like insider trading.

Ha, so this one's a relative bargain!

Surprised the newer press is still hanging around list price. Just looked at Farmhouse and lowest asking price is $450. I guess some are trying to get as much as they can before it’s repressed lol

I'm dreading to see what the prices for Lee Perry pressings look like right now. That's on me for waiting so long I guess.
He has such a vast discography though and a lot of it is oop anyway so not sure how much it’ll change. I’m sure his more prevalent records like Super Ape will go up a bit but that’s always in print by somebody.

Kinda surprised at the sudden uptick in pricing for Francis and the Lights records.

Wow that's insane. I haven't heard Francis and the Lights for years. I saw him open for The XX here in London back in 2017 and he was electric, so much energy on stage!

Wow that's insane. I haven't heard Francis and the Lights for years. I saw him open for The XX here in London back in 2017 and he was electric, so much energy on stage!
He's such a great performer. I've seen him 3 times now. Saw him at a tiny club in Greenpoint Brooklyn, randomly saw him perform at a CB2 store after hours and then he opened for Chance the Rapper.

The Donda Effect
I guess? But he's been on Kanye and Chance albums before I think. I really like his music and he's so fun live.

I added some records to my discogs collection yesterday and noticed a few that have shot up in price.

I bought this for £96.95 back in 2017. I've seen it rise more and more over the past couple of years. Its a fantastic box but what makes it even more of an oddity (from a price perspective) is that it includes 'Anti'. Anti alone sells for a median of £152.47.

Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 10.02.11.png

Back when VMP sold non-exclusives they had 10 copies of this that they sold. I thought I bought one until last minute I realised it had been removed from my basket during purchase as it sold out. It was 1minute into the store 'opening'. I then jumped over to Discogs and bought a copy for £60 which at the time I couldn't believe I was paying out. Its a picture disc so the sound quality isnt the greatest, but it is the only official release to date.

Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 10.02.35.png

I knew this would jump up eventually but it's crazy to me that it went over £150 whilst still available on their website for $100 (around £75)

Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 10.02.43.png

The Cherry Tree subscription is $65 (around £50) and they always send out a record set with extras at the end of each year. So why on earth people are choosing not to sub but instead pay out more than double for the record is another thing thats baffling. It could be argued that this is the first release and people might not of known about it until after (I believe it was a surprise release initially), but the 2 subsequent releases have also been selling for upwards of £110.

Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 10.03.05.png

This copy is a promo but logged under the standard pressing. The promo cost me €58,00 (around £50) which I believe was the same price as the standard release. Its a really fantastic set that sounds stunning and the resale is pretty crazy, it has been consistently rising for a while now. The crazy bit with this is that 6 copies have sold on discogs in the past 4 months ranging from £107.99 to £152.47 DESPITE the fact that a repress was announced earlier in the year with pre-orders available on the Sam website for the initial €58,00.

Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 10.03.13.png

Finally the ever-popular Phoebe Bridgers. I shared this the other week but it deserves another mention. Its a great album and the colour on this is really cool (as is the booklet with stunning artwork by Chris Riddell), but is it £130 cool?

Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 10.03.32.png

I added some records to my discogs collection yesterday and noticed a few that have shot up in price.

I bought this for £96.95 back in 2017. I've seen it rise more and more over the past couple of years. Its a fantastic box but what makes it even more of an oddity (from a price perspective) is that it includes 'Anti'. Anti alone sells for a median of £152.47.

View attachment 112271

Back when VMP sold non-exclusives they had 10 copies of this that they sold. I thought I bought one until last minute I realised it had been removed from my basket during purchase as it sold out. It was 1minute into the store 'opening'. I then jumped over to Discogs and bought a copy for £60 which at the time I couldn't believe I was paying out. Its a picture disc so the sound quality isnt the greatest, but it is the only official release to date.

View attachment 112272

I knew this would jump up eventually but it's crazy to me that it went over £150 whilst still available on their website for $100 (around £75)

View attachment 112273

The Cherry Tree subscription is $65 (around £50) and they always send out a record set with extras at the end of each year. So why on earth people are choosing not to sub but instead pay out more than double for the record is another thing thats baffling. It could be argued that this is the first release and people might not of known about it until after (I believe it was a surprise release initially), but the 2 subsequent releases have also been selling for upwards of £110.

View attachment 112274

This copy is a promo but logged under the standard pressing. The promo cost me €58,00 (around £50) which I believe was the same price as the standard release. Its a really fantastic set that sounds stunning and the resale is pretty crazy, it has been consistently rising for a while now. The crazy bit with this is that 6 copies have sold on discogs in the past 4 months ranging from £107.99 to £152.47 DESPITE the fact that a repress was announced earlier in the year with pre-orders available on the Sam website for the initial €58,00.

View attachment 112275

Finally the ever-popular Phoebe Bridgers. I shared this the other week but it deserves another mention. Its a great album and the colour on this is really cool (as is the booklet with stunning artwork by Chris Riddell), but is it £130 cool?

View attachment 112276
I might sell my copy of the white UO pressing of Anti....someone just sold it for $380 on reddit. Nathan Davis too, especially with the repress coming...mine is numbered though so maybe that would still hold some more value?

I have Cherry Tree 1 and 3 funny enough. I didn't sign up until Vol 3 was the subscription and they randomly restocked volume 1. I want to try to get 2 at some point but think it's going to be too steep for me price-wise!

I might sell my copy of the white UO pressing of Anti....someone just sold it for $380 on reddit. Nathan Davis too, especially with the repress coming...mine is numbered though so maybe that would still hold some more value?

I have Cherry Tree 1 and 3 funny enough. I didn't sign up until Vol 3 was the subscription and they randomly restocked volume 1. I want to try to get 2 at some point but think it's going to be too steep for me price-wise!
If it didn't mess up the set I would likely sell as well. It's just a matter of time until it's reissued (I assume) and as good as it is, it's not worth that kind of money to me. The Nathan Davis is one that I wont be selling just but you would assume the price will drop once the reissue is actually released? Not sure how Fred at Sam Records is going to approach the numbering of the new batch, maybe it will have 2nd press on it or something.

Im not a hardcore National fan by any stretch (I know there are people on here that are) but I do tink that the yearly set is worth the subscription cost alone. That's how I justified it anyway, I did get presale tickets (the gig was cancelled) and a Cherry Tree store exclusive as well last year but during the first year it was just the yearly package that saw any benefit from the sub.

Back