That Escalated Quickly (aka Common Records Turned Rare)

swamp

I saw this record listing on Discogs and it gave me the idea for a thread.

What are some records that you've seen priced low and readily available for years that you were surprised to find had suddenly skyrocketed in price and scarcity?

I just saw that my not-so-quality, perpetually $10 copy of Interpol's Turn on the Bright Lights has been selling for $50-120 for the last few months.

What happened?

Like back in 2015? I saw Earl was in one of Ka's recent music vids.
Ka's catalog stabilized once he had all the records back in stock on his site, but they go up quick when he takes them down.

TBH, not entirely sure? Went to get the link for the Iron Age video and saw in the comments something to the effect of 'Who else came here cause of Earl Sweatshirt' or one of those type posts and figured he musta mentioned him on social media.

Last edited:
Reactions: oak
My copy of Loveless went up in price and was over 50 dollars. It's not even an original but one done by Plain Recordings.

I was just talking about Flatbush Zombies - 3001 A Laced Odyssey in another thread and how it unexpectedly skyrocketed in price. I got it for 30 and these are the current discogs stats

• Lowest:
    $180.00
  • Median:
    $333.33
  • Highest:
    $477.00

I was just talking about Flatbush Zombies - 3001 A Laced Odyssey in another thread and how it unexpectedly skyrocketed in price. I got it for 30 and these are the current discogs stats

• Lowest:
    $180.00
  • Median:
    $333.33
  • Highest:
    $477.00

I sold one of my copies for a lot lower than the lowest.. and the other for just over median. goddamn i should have waited.

Bury The Hatchet used to be 20-25 dollars on Amazon. and one day it went to 50 dollars, and this was a couple of years before Dolored passed away. Never understood why it got so expensive.

it's literally the exact same as the other ones except its on clear vinyl. went up after bowie died
I’ve got the first pressing of the clear variant, and it’s magnificent. Thought about putting it up on Discogs, but I just can’t

I find this topic / trend really interesting

For whatever reason, the prices for The Powers That B by Death Grips spiked on Discogs lately. Which is strange, considering that it didn't seem like stock was limited and I've seen it out in the wild at least once. I ordered a copy online just last year for only about $25.98 to add to my DG collection and it seems like if I had waited just a few months later, I might have been SOL. It's really odd.

Oh God, awesome idea. Fiona Apple's The Idler Wheel... is a good example I can think of — I bought it in store for around US$20 when it came out, and I think it took a year before the prices started becoming absurd.

Sade's Love Deluxe is one that surprised me. I sat on it for the longest time because I thought it would be available forever, since that has happened for MOV non-colored pressings for the most part, but the prices are high enough now that I'm eagerly waiting for a repress.

There's an Audio Fidelity reissue of Kate Bush's Hounds of Love, cut by Kevin Gray on pink marbled vinyl, that stuck around for a while, even if it was at a premium price fitting most audiophile pressings. And then I think it was around the time the Kate Bush remasters were announced that the prices for this started climbing. There was a local listing for this at a decent price that I was considering, and that disappeared immediately as this became rarer.

Also, strangely enough, the Back to Black reissue of Scott Walker's Scott 4 had suddenly become OOP this year, likely due to Walker's death. But while this is now rare, the rest of the Scott albums are still available, so maybe it means Scott 4 is the undeniable favourite amongst fans? I don't know.

A couple Death Grips releases are like this. When the Fashion Week RSD release first came about, the price stayed relatively low for a LONG time. For at least a year or so it never really went above 35 bucks. Checked Discogs a few months ago, the shit's now consistently going for 100-plus. Like @gaporter said too, The Powers That B was similar. Was a VERY common record for a while, now goes for some crazy prices. I remember copies of it were sitting in my local record store for a long while after it came out, never thought it'd suddenly become so coveted!

Oddly enough, the self-titled album from WZRD (Kid Cudi's TERRIBLE rock side-project) shot up tremendously. I got it for 13 bucks a couple years after it first came out. One day I realized "Oh wait, I don't like this shit at all" and went to Discogs thinking I could probablyyy make my 13 bucks back if I'm lucky. Ended up making nearly ten times that amount (don't judge me - that was still lower than the lowest sold price in the Discogs stats at the time ;) )

it's literally the exact same as the other ones except its on clear vinyl. went up after bowie died

Agree, it shot up after he died just a couple of days after its release and has never really changed in selling price since.

This album by Zakk Wyld has shot up and rightly so, it is fantastic and the quality of the pressing is top notch. First time on vinyl but only 400 made :rolleyes:

I will take that off your hands, I had it in my hands on Saturday at B&N and I thought this might be interesting to get and put it down and then Sunday/Monday came around
I was so stoked when I saw it, because I didn’t pick it up until a day or two after his passing. I suppose that’s one of the good things about living in a town where they only listen to country and classic rock. And thanks for your kind offer, but it means means too much to me.

Back