That Escalated Quickly (aka Common Records Turned Rare)

Someone lit a fire under this as of late, so after seeing this in Cogs I decided to give it a spin since it's been a while. To my surprise, and most likely because I was so used to grabbing my CD version of this before picking up the vinyl version years ago, I never opened it, lol.

View attachment 115779

View attachment 115780
Many years ago I 'discovered' the Reddit vinyl page and at the time it was significantly more interesting and less toxic than it tends to be nowadays. At this point, the 'resurgence' had not started. For whatever reason Mellon Collie was the most sought after album on there and posts that included it always shot to the top, with tons of comments. I never really understood why until I saw the prices that the originals go for...

Many years ago I 'discovered' the Reddit vinyl page and at the time it was significantly more interesting and less toxic than it tends to be nowadays. At this point, the 'resurgence' had not started. For whatever reason Mellon Collie was the most sought after album on there and posts that included it always shot to the top, with tons of comments. I never really understood why until I saw the prices that the originals go for...
One of the "problems" with the hobby, more so now as things just continue to price themselves into ridiculous ranges, is that at a time if you couldn't afford, or didn't want to spend the OG price, you could fall back on the "next best thing", but now even those are becoming untouchable to many.

I just hope it never gets to the point that my only affordable option is from 4 Men with Beards ;)

One of the "problems" with the hobby, more so now as things just continue to price themselves into ridiculous ranges, is that at a time if you couldn't afford, or didn't want to spend the OG price, you could fall back on the "next best thing", but now even those are becoming untouchable to many.

I just hope it never gets to the point that my only affordable option is from 4 Men with Beards ;)
That is so so so true and not something that I had really thought of until now. I still find it crazy when modern-day reissues go for £100's on the secondary market despite them just being released.

That is so so so true and not something that I had really thought of until now. I still find it crazy when modern-day reissues go for £100's on the secondary market despite them just being released.
Ya, that's a whole other issue. One of the main reasons I grabbed a somewhat decent version of Chet Baker Sings to hold me over, I refuse to pay the current Cogs selling price for the TP. But hopefully, as @MikeH posted, a repress is on the horizon.

............If I miss out on it again though, I'm gonna be pissed, lol

Ya, that's a whole other issue. One of the main reasons I grabbed a somewhat decent version of Chet Baker Sings to hold me over, I refuse to pay the current Cogs selling price for the TP. But hopefully, as @MikeH posted, a repress is on the horizon.

............If I miss out on it again though, I'm gonna be pissed, lol
Is that the Tone Poet pressing? Worth noting that in an interview Joe Harley stated that the Tone Poets will continuously be repressed to meet demand, it's just delayed at the moment because the plants are so overworked. So as long as you don't mind waiting there's no need to play silly prices for any of them.

Out of curiosity, I went on Popsike and its eye-watering what the Chet Bakers have gone for. Several have sold for over £100, with one topping at £183. That's more than a mint original has ever gone for. Just outrageous.

Is that the Tone Poet pressing? Worth noting that in an interview Joe Harley stated that the Tone Poets will continuously be repressed to meet demand, it's just delayed at the moment because the plants are so overworked. So as long as you don't mind waiting there's no need to play silly prices for any of them.

Out of curiosity, I went on Popsike and its eye-watering what the Chet Bakers have gone for. Several have sold for over £100, with one topping at £183. That's more than a mint original has ever gone for. Just outrageous.
Yea the TP. Chet and Nigeria have both been selling for crazy prices. They will both be repressed but people keep spending crazy money on them because no restock has happened yet. There's a phenomenon lately of people not wanting to wait on represses and just paying whatever the current asking price is so they can have it now instead of waiting. I see people paying insane prices on MoFis all the time that aren't out of print.

I regret to inform you that many 4MWB and Plain pressings are also pricey/unaffordable...

Yea the TP. Chet and Nigeria have both been selling for crazy prices. They will both be repressed but people keep spending crazy money on them because no restock has happened yet. There's a phenomenon lately of people not wanting to wait on represses and just paying whatever the current asking price is so they can have it now instead of waiting. I see people paying insane prices on MoFis all the time that aren't out of print.
Madness isnt it. People have money to burn.

I just looked and I paid £23 for Chet Baker and the same again for Grant Green's Nigeria last year from the BN sale.

Madness isnt it. People have money to burn.

I just looked and I paid £23 for Chet Baker and the same again for Grant Green's Nigeria last year from the BN sale.
all it takes is for one person to buy a copy at $100 and it sets the market price sadly. and I think people saw the prices of the MMJ pressings after they went out of print and got scared about these going OOP even though everyone says they will be repressed.

So maybe this is just because I don't understand crime, but there has got to be a cheaper way to launder money than a website that charges an 8% fee right?

Ones would think. But for what possible reason do you have those two sales at double or triple the going price.. Makes no sense.

May also be my lack of understanding of crime, but why would you need to launder 180 bucks?

I think that's a legit sale on The Bird and the Bee, just someone who is wiling to drastically overpay for it relative to historic sales. It has sold in the past for 100 and 120, and I've noticed an odd amount of TBaTB love somewhat recently particularly for that set of covers. There's also like...no other cheaper copies available, so it's not really anything worse than the "going" price when the going price is $250 on Discogs and $280 on Ebay. The going price is egregious and they probably shouldn't drop that much, but it's probably more overpriced by 2x than 10x.

It's more likely an overpay as opposed to anything fishy. Personally I'd see that and think it's somewhat likely a more reasonably priced copy will pop up at some point but others are less patient.

That album has some bops.

Last edited:
Back