That Escalated Quickly (aka Common Records Turned Rare)

It seems that there's been a Jenny Lewis / Rilo Kiley run of things disappearing recently. I know several of these albums were readily available at retail prices fairly recently. Hoping this is just pressing backlog as opposed to a real OOP.

Jenny Lewis – Acid Tongue (2008, Vinyl) (Lowest Price on Discogs is 50. most recent Ebay was 40)
Jenny Lewis – The Voyager (2014, Vinyl) (Lowest Price on Discogs is 60, most recent Ebay was 59) - This one has admittedly been for a little while
Rilo Kiley – More Adventurous (2010, Vinyl) (Lowest Price on Discogs is about 75, most recent Ebay was 65)
Rilo Kiley – Take Offs And Landings (2011, 180gm, Vinyl) (Lowest Price on Discogs is 85, Ebay Sales range from 40-90 recently)

Jenny Lewis With The Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat

LP, Album, Ltd, RE, RM, Red
Loves Way LW-001
2016 US
$37.99$50.00$89.99

Another one with Jenny that is in that range. While her newest one, On The Line, doesn't have the median value high, the cheapest one is like 45 bucks.

On The Line did have an odd disappearance with a short "oh it exists again" before then disappearing too.

If anyone is looking to buy Rabbit Fur Coat or On the Line, her webstore seems to have them in stock (I bought RFC from them a little while back, good and quick shipping) but the Discogs prices are odd for those too.

It seems that there's been a Jenny Lewis / Rilo Kiley run of things disappearing recently. I know several of these albums were readily available at retail prices fairly recently. Hoping this is just pressing backlog as opposed to a real OOP.

Jenny Lewis – Acid Tongue (2008, Vinyl) (Lowest Price on Discogs is 50. most recent Ebay was 40)
Jenny Lewis – The Voyager (2014, Vinyl) (Lowest Price on Discogs is 60, most recent Ebay was 59) - This one has admittedly been harder to find for a little while
Rilo Kiley – More Adventurous (2010, Vinyl) (Lowest Price on Discogs is about 75, most recent Ebay was 65)
Rilo Kiley – Take Offs And Landings (2011, 180gm, Vinyl) (Lowest Price on Discogs is 85, Ebay Sales range from 40-90 recently)
I had Take Off and Landings on my want list for a while and just kept putting it off. Tried looking for it at a few stores and couldn’t find it and noticed the pricing. Was lucky and snatched the last copy off Amazon.
I have a number of records that I’ve been putting off and now they’ve appear to be hard to find or too expensive.

The decisions or like thereof on Sara Bareilles are so confusing. She's big enough to justify more than bookstore exclusives and fairly well received albums that've been gone for a decade.

Hopefully they decide to box set her stuff up at some point in the future or go on re-release party.

The decisions or like thereof on Sara Bareilles are so confusing. She's big enough to justify more than bookstore exclusives and fairly well received albums that've been gone for a decade.

Hopefully they decide to box set her stuff up at some point in the future or go on re-release party.
Or just repress Kaleidoscope Heart please, please, please.

Just got $150 for this one 😱

I was a little torn and thought about keeping it, but I’ll probably just pick up a standard copy at some point
Damn, that's $25 a song! Nice work.

How the Daft Punk stuff has skyrocketed to crazy levels is still boggling my mind. I get the they broke up, but no new music since 2013. Surely we will see represses.

You couldn't give these away a few years ago. I bought a copy in 2017 from insound for $58 now people are looking for $500.

1615048936876.png

1615048858305.png

How the Daft Punk stuff has skyrocketed to crazy levels is still boggling my mind. I get the they broke up, but no new music since 2013. Surely we will see represses.

You couldn't give these away a few years ago. I bought a copy in 2017 from insound for $58 now people are looking for $500.

View attachment 90752

View attachment 90751
People are dumb. This will all come back into print. Highest sold was $289 which is also insane. I'd be surprised if any of these actually sell. Someone was listing a Daft Punk album for $12,000 the day they broke up.

People are dumb. This will all come back into print. Highest sold was $289 which is also insane. I'd be surprised if any of these actually sell. Someone was listing a Daft Punk album for $12,000 the day they broke up.
I'm pretty sure they're actually already announced represses of Alive.

10% fee on discogs for a $300 purchase is $30.

You spend $30 to make it look like something is worth $300. Of course you don’t actually pay for the album. You’re just paying for the perception something is worth more. Call it an advertising fee for something you have stock in.

Profit from flipping 20 $50 copies on eBay for $200 because people think it’s worth $300? About $2600.

Doesn’t really matter, buyer thinks they’re getting a steal and they’re happy. Seller is happy. The world turns.

Welcome to the buyers club.

*who wants to work on a Hollywood script with me?

** looking at you next, Tesla

The 1997 Alive, yes. 2007 Alive will probably be repressed much later.

You spend $30 to make it look like something is worth $300. Of course you don’t actually pay for the album. You’re just paying for the perception something is worth more. Call it an advertising fee for something you have stock in.

Profit from flipping 20 $50 copies on eBay for $200 because people think it’s worth $300? About $2600.

Doesn’t really matter, buyer thinks they’re getting a steal and they’re happy. Seller is happy. The world turns.

8% fee but yes, that’s the state of online commerce these days. And in general the law of supply and demand. You’d pay a bigger fee by not cutting out the middle man (selling to a record store).

8% fee but yes, that’s the state of online commerce these days. And in general the law of supply and demand. You’d pay a bigger fee by not cutting out the middle man (selling to a record store).
I’m referring to price manipulation not complaining about fees. Fees are fine, it’s the people who utilize services that publicly announce what items sold for to give the impression that something sold for a high amount when it never actually did. These manipulators pay the fees happily for the advertisement of that “highest price sold” so that they can sell their own copies for 10x more than they otherwise would sell for.

The fee on Discogs is 10%? That is insaaaaaaane!

Edit: 8%, ok, still madness. I’d say 5% is the roof on that. I guess we are all suckers.

Back