Television

Ted Lasso might be the most underrated show of the year. Enjoyed every moment of it.
I never posted in here about but I believe @ayayrawn recommended it a couple of weeks ago. Itā€™s so good. Such a wholesome show. Coupled with the fact Iā€™m a football āš½ļø fan made it even more enjoyable to watch. Canā€™t wait for the next season.

The Flight Attendant has played its cards very well and rolled the story out nicely. I will say, within ten minutes of Ep07 (Hitchcock Double) and Miranda mentions Felix and then Buckley calls her and insists on continuing their "relationship", I was like "Oh yea, Buckley is definitely Felix". They just played those scenes so close together. Episode 8 tomorrow!

Also letā€™s talk about Rosie Perez! Nice to see her flex nuts in a meaty role!

Last edited:
As noted in my previous post, I've yet to watch the final episode. I will watch it later. But I have a prediction of how they'll wrap up Megan's (Rosie Perez) story (in a general sense - I have no idea precisely how it's going to play out). Early on, when she was first dealing w/ her Korean handler and talking about "facial recognition" and then when Cassie took the Portland to Maine flight and saw the battery packs that were presumably for RPGs or MANPADS, I figured that these parallel stories would inevitably converge. That is, Lionfish/Unisphere involvement w/ weapons has to do with whatever schematics/info Megan was getting from her husband's laptop. It wouldn't make sense for Megan's actions to remain discrete - it just wouldn't be a fleshed-out standalone story. But it works fine enough as a sub-plot. Given that the show has created some sympathy for Megan, in so far as she feels unwanted/unseen and looks up to a trainwreck like Cassie, I predict she'll have a "happy" resolution. I predict that however Cassie resolves her situation - for better or worse - it will allow Megan to avoid detection and rise above any suspicions from her husband (as she hasn't explicitly admitted anything to him yet and the show has portrayed him as extremely gullible). I'll see if my predictions are accurate later.

Okay, so I was wrong about my general prediction regarding Megan's plot. However, it was used as a vehicle for the deus ex machina that was Shane saving the day (i.e. why a CIA agent was there). All in all, I really liked the show. I thought Kaley Cuoco gave a spectacular performance. I also liked the way they built the world in her mind and how she spoke with Alex; but also the limitations of his personality, in so much that it was only based off of the short time she knew him and what she could glean from her detective work. Likewise, I like how that space was at times a place to work out problems and deliberate, and at other times a place of torment focusing on her troubling past, drinking problems, and destructive personality. Going back to the finale...I'm glad Enrico didn't die. Although a minor character, he was sweet and no one wanted to see him die (kind of like had Max died). HOWEVER, that deus ex machina of Shane - oof! I haven't read the book this is based on, so I don't know if the show writers took liberties or this is the same plot device the book's author used. Basically, I don't know who to blame for this piece of, I don't know, laziness? Lack of imagination? Okay, I couldn't write anything better, but still....And it wasn't so much that Shane was a CIA agent. Okay, fine. But show me anywhere else in the season that even alluded to it. Really, show me 'cause I may have missed it. Were there any sort of clues that Shane had this deeper role? If so, then, fine, I missed it. If not, then I hate the "poof!" of here comes the gun-wielding agent to save the day. Didn't ruin the whole thing for me, but I'm meh about it. I do see that it's been renewed for a second season. I hope to see more of Megan/Rosie Perez.

I watched some stuff these days:

Rompan Todo is a documentary about the story of Latin rock. It has recevied a lot of backlash because there are LOOOOTS fo stuff missing, important stuff. But if you know very little about the rock in Latin America, this is a good start.

Sweet Home is a Corean serie about people who get trapped in a builiding while people become monsters. The first three episodes are good, the rest is boring AF. Like, The Walking Dead boring.

Alice From Borderland I won't say anything about this one. Go watch it, it's awesome. This is the kind of entertaining stuff I wanted to watch.

Im down to the last episode of Gotham now and have actually really enjoyed it as a series. I feel like the storylines and characters became more cartoony as the series progressed (I think I preferred the more gritty/believable character arc's at the beginning) but I still think they did a good job. With that being said there was a few things in this penultimate episode that really irked me:

The part when all GCPD were at the top of the barricade looking down at Bane and his men and everyone opened fire, yet no one was hit. They couldn't have thrown a gun and not hit one of them so how on earth are we meant to believe a hail of bullets from both sides didn't hit anyone?

When Gordon handcuffed himself to Nyssa al Ghul before Barbara stabbed her, yet she then mysteriously slips the handcuff a second later to run away? I thought this was a slip-up at first but cant see how that could have been possible seeing that there was no time for her to have unlocked them, especially seeing as she was firmly cuffed for the whole scene before AND stabbed!

Just before the scene transitions when Gordon becomes Commissioner some ominous music plays as he looks across the crowd. I re-watched and paused but for the life of me cannot see what was supposed to be highlighted. I might be getting ahead of myself as I still have the finale, but I really did struggle to see anything.

After building a story and relationship with Selina across 5 seasons, and knowing that she has been abandoned by everyone in the past, it seems pretty cold for Bruce just to leave a note. Again, I might be jumping ahead but it just shows an incredible lack of awareness to do that.

Not sure if anyone here has watched the series and has any thoughts?

I finally got around to finishing the final season of Schitt's Creek. I know many of the critical plaudits and awards are more a result of the show's growing fanbase, and the cast deserves all the praise, but I was really surprised how weak the season was.

I just found it so strange that the show, whose appeal lies mainly in the audience and characters growing to appreciate the town and its residents, as well as slowly sand the rough edges of entitlement and social climbing of the Roses...it's just weird that the final season put so much stock in trying to get rich and move from Schitt's Creek for good. It felt really weird that a show savvy enough to pin its best moments on the emotional growth of its characters suddenly turn around and serve them an ending they'd ostensibly grown past.

Ending a sitcom is always a weird thing; part of the appeal of many sitcoms is the stasis, the way you can just drop in and the characters will always be there. I feel like it's rare for a sitcom to have a finale (deliberately, not just due to cancelation) that leaves the characters right where we left them instead of charting new paths for their foreseeable futures.

Again, it's still Schitt's Creek, so I'm basically complaining about a free pizza; I still enjoyed it.

I finally got around to finishing the final season of Schitt's Creek. I know many of the critical plaudits and awards are more a result of the show's growing fanbase, and the cast deserves all the praise, but I was really surprised how weak the season was.

I just found it so strange that the show, whose appeal lies mainly in the audience and characters growing to appreciate the town and its residents, as well as slowly sand the rough edges of entitlement and social climbing of the Roses...it's just weird that the final season put so much stock in trying to get rich and move from Schitt's Creek for good. It felt really weird that a show savvy enough to pin its best moments on the emotional growth of its characters suddenly turn around and serve them an ending they'd ostensibly grown past.

Ending a sitcom is always a weird thing; part of the appeal of many sitcoms is the stasis, the way you can just drop in and the characters will always be there. I feel like it's rare for a sitcom to have a finale (deliberately, not just due to cancelation) that leaves the characters right where we left them instead of charting new paths for their foreseeable futures.

Again, it's still Schitt's Creek, so I'm basically complaining about a free pizza; I still enjoyed it.
I feel like David had the appropriate ending at least, but yeah, you make a good point otherwise.

I was disappointed in the last season of Schittā€™s Creek too. They seemed to want to end it quietly with some mature character growth but, as noted above, it was in service of ā€œbeing rich again but doing it better this time with some perspectiveā€ instead of showing that they were fully investing in their new lives as middle/lower class members of a strange but close knit special place. All in all, good shows have ended things much worse so I was ultimately satisfied and still think itā€™s a great show beginning to end. āœŒšŸ½

Iā€™m not really sure how else they could play it without betraying either the town or the characters in some way. Moira and Johnny were always going to want to return to the life they knew, and Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s any way they commit to staying in town without fundamentally changing Schittā€™s Creek as a place, which would have felt equally wrong. I was fine with each component of the family ultimately representing a different ambition: the elder Roses return to what made them successful, but with a renewed sense of perspective and a love of family that never really had space to exist before; Alexis realizes her squandered potential as something other than a spoiled rich girl, learns to actually love another person, and experiences true heartbreak in a way sheā€™s never been able to comprehend before; David realizes that all of his scrabbling for social position and success came not from ambition but from fear, and that he could find contentment in the unconditional love of one person, rather than the fickle, shallow love of many.

Tricky juggling act, but I think ultimately it remained true to each character rather than forcing them to accept a unified fate just for the sake of a happy ending. It was never going to make sense for all of them to stay together forever - part of the familyā€™s growth lies in the kids finally having the wherewithal (and life skills) to leave the nest.

And thatā€™s without even mentioning Stevie, someone who, feeling hopelessly trapped in a shitty life, built up walls to keep herself from truly knowing other people. But gradually she comes to see the Roses as family, and begins to understand that sheā€™s more than a grump with a crummy motel, that there is value in opening up to others, and that itā€™s okay for her (hell, that she deserves) to want more.

Started getting into some British shows. Taskmaster rules. I have heard about it off and on for a while but I finally started it (from the newest season) and I am loving it. Also big fan of QI now. Watching the newest season of that one too. Both are really nice distractions but also just genuinely fun shows.

Season 2 of A Discovery of Witches is here!!! Finally. I can't wait. Binge watching Season 1 again today because it's been so long.

Season 2 premieres on Sky on January 8th. Then will be on AMC+ / Sundance Now / Shudder on January 9th.

Back