Television

I watched the first couple of episodes of Schitt's Creek way back when but wasn't super impressed. How many seasons are they at now? Does it pick up? Worth giving a second chance? I believe my wife likes it.
6 seasons. It’s its own brand of humor that moves at its own pace, so whether it picks up or not is entirely subjective IMO. But once each character starts to find their own arc at the end of S1 and into S2 is when I feel it gains its footing.

I watched the first couple of episodes of Schitt's Creek way back when but wasn't super impressed. How many seasons are they at now? Does it pick up? Worth giving a second chance? I believe my wife likes it.
Yeah, same here. I watched the first two episodes a year or so ago and maybe laughed twice so stopped. Pretty sure I’ll start over again soon though as so many of my friends love it.

For me, Schitt’s Creek picked up around the end of season 1 (maybe beginning of season 2, can’t remember) once they changed the focus from the Rose family being “fish out of water” who look down on everyone to the Rose family starting to take pride in their new lives and new friends in Schitt’s Creek. The warmth and love they mix in gives the wackier character stuff something to bounce off of and elevates the series above being a straightforward sitcom. And, like everything, it takes several episodes to learn each character’s quirks and click into their wavelength. Every cast member gets so good at playing their character as it progresses.

For me, Schitt’s Creek picked up around the end of season 1 (maybe beginning of season 2, can’t remember) once they changed the focus from the Rose family being “fish out of water” who look down on everyone to the Rose family starting to take pride in their new lives and new friends in Schitt’s Creek. The warmth and love they mix in gives the wackier character stuff something to bounce off of and elevates the series above being a straightforward sitcom. And, like everything, it takes several episodes to learn each character’s quirks and click into their wavelength. Every cast member gets so good at playing their character as it progresses.
Everybody says that the show hits its stride, that it becomes a better story, that the characters improve...but I don’t see anyone say that it gets funny, which is ostensibly the thing you want from a comedy good enough to sweep the Emmys. I’m in the same spot as others here, stuck in season 1 and wondering if it’s worth continuing. So...does it get funny?

Everybody says that the show hits its stride, that it becomes a better story, that the characters improve...but I don’t see anyone say that it gets funny, which is ostensibly the thing you want from a comedy good enough to sweep the Emmys. I’m in the same spot as others here, stuck in season 1 and wondering if it’s worth continuing. So...does it get funny?
Kind of! I think there are funny performances more than the show is loaded with jokes. It's a good hang.

Probably my favorite laugh out loud funny scene, really of any show. But here’s the thing, is The Simpsons laugh out loud funny? To me, it’s not. But is it a good show? Sure.

This was the scene that won me over:

FYI my wife wants to keep watching so we're gonna get to these scenes eventually, not gonna ruin 'em before their time.

We are a week behind because I have basically only been watching movies in quarantine, but the sexual violence in Lovecraft Country episode 5 was over the top. I may be turned off the show forever. Using rape as character development is so overdone at this point (GoT) but also showing it in such graphic detail was a bridge too far.

Or maybe now I've become a movie snob and just find TV crass now.

We are a week behind because I have basically only been watching movies in quarantine, but the sexual violence in Lovecraft Country episode 5 was over the top. I may be turned off the show forever. Using rape as character development is so overdone at this point (GoT) but also showing it in such graphic detail was a bridge too far.

Or maybe now I've become a movie snob and just find TV crass now.
I agree that scene was over the top. Not sure you will be happy with this week's episode since it has a slightly similar, but also verrry different scene.

Not sure what you mean about tv vs movies except that I guess you are choosing movies that don't have scenes like that in them.

Back