Television

I agree that scene was over the top. Not sure you will be happy with this week's episode since it has a slightly similar, but also verrry different scene.

Not sure what you mean about tv vs movies except that I guess you are choosing movies that don't have scenes like that in them.
I mean I was mostly being facetious. However the most recent movie I watched had a dude committing seppuku in the final moments so it's not like I don't watch violent movies. But it felt earned over two hours and was thematically consistent. TV sometimes does this stuff just to shock and create buzz. Especially in this case since it was not in the course material.

Fargo returns Sunday!

A little hometown pride: Though set mostly in Kansas City (or thereabout) A small portion (mostly establishing shots) was filmed downtown in my small Central Illinois hometown of Pontiac.

Fargo returns Sunday!

A little hometown pride: Though set mostly in Kansas City (or thereabout) A small portion (mostly establishing shots) was filmed downtown in my small Central Illinois hometown of Pontiac.
I still haven't watched season 3! Season 2 was such a high water mark, and I heard so-so things about 3.

I still haven't watched season 3! Season 2 was such a high water mark, and I heard so-so things about 3.

It was my least favorite of the the three, but it kept me interested. I know that's not a ringing endorsement by any means, but it's great TV regardless.

Totally looking forward to 4!

@TenderLovingKiller® - Did they change buildings in town for production in any way? Scream 4 was filmed partly in my hometown, and they put up a façade for the fictional town's police station. (it was a bar) Pretty huge deal for our tiny town of 9K people.

It was my least favorite of the the three, but it kept me interested. I know that's not a ringing endorsement by any means, but it's great TV regardless.

Totally looking forward to 4!

@TenderLovingKiller® - Did they change buildings in town for production in any way? Scream 4 was filmed partly in my hometown, and they put up a façade for the fictional town's police station. (it was a bar) Pretty huge deal for our tiny town of 9K people.
From what my mom said, they did a bit. My hometown is on Route 66 so the downtown has made kind Of a cottage industry of 1950’s Nostalgia so I am sure a lot of it was of period but she did say they constructed a few facades for some of the more modern storefronts.

Anyone else want to admit a guilty pleasure of enjoying Ratched?

I haven’t watched it and don’t know if I will but what an odd thing to exist. I didn’t realize the world needed a Nurse Ratched origin story. I do love Sarah Paulson though.

There aren’t many (if any) references in Ratched to AHS, but if you liked Asylum (one of only two good AHS season, IMO) then you will probably like this. Paulson is amazing, Sharon Stone does well and Sophie Okonedo’s character is frightening. The series definitely suffers from some confusing (poor) writing and plot turns but I still enjoyed it.

There aren’t many (if any) references in Ratched to AHS, but if you liked Asylum (one of only two good AHS season, IMO) then you will probably like this. Paulson is amazing, Sharon Stone does well and Sophie Okonedo’s character is frightening. The series definitely suffers from some confusing (poor) writing and plot turns but I still enjoyed it.
Sorry, I have never watched American Horror Story but a big fan of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. I didn’t realize AHS had co-opted the character. That’s interesting but I am probably less likely to watch it.

Sorry, I have never watched American Horror Story but a big fan of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. I didn’t realize AHS had co-opted the character. That’s interesting but I am probably less likely to watch it.

How in the world did I not think of it as an origins from One Flew Over! Duh! But yeah, what a dumb idea to turn something Kubrick made famous into a spin-off, those are some impossibly large shoes to fill.

As for AHS, it shares some cast mates and has a slightly similar feel to Asylum but not as overtly cheesy. There’s no ghosts or supernatural stuff going on.

How in the world did I not think of it as an origins from One Flew Over! Duh! But yeah, what a dumb idea to turn something Kubrick made famous into a spin-off, those are some impossibly large shoes to fill.

As for AHS, it shares some cast mates and has a slightly similar feel to Asylum but not as overtly cheesy. There’s no ghosts or supernatural stuff going on.
Sorry to be pedantic, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest was directed by Milos Forman based on Ken Kesey’s wonderful novel. I don’t think Kubrick had anything to do with it but I think that would be a very different (and probably equally entertaining) film if he were involved. Ya probably just understandably mixed up Nicholson roles.

Last edited:
Sorry to be pedantic, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest was directed by Milos Forman based on Ken Kesey’s wonderful novel. I don’t think Kubrick had anything to do with it but I think that would be a very different (and probably equally entertaining) film if he were involved. Ya probably just understandably mixing up Nicholson roles.
Maybe Kubrick would have tried to tackle the hallucinations.

Back