Television

I enjoyed it, totally different show than Hill House, which was a little disappointing to me when I was expecting similar, but I'm glad I watched it.

That ending was pretty sappy and on the nose, but I didn't hate it.

I enjoyed it, totally different show than Hill House, which was a little disappointing to me when I was expecting similar, but I'm glad I watched it.
I am at episode six now, I believe. I watched "The Altar of the Dead" last night. I don't agree with the idea that it is "totally different" than Hill House. In fact, I'd say it is "same same but different". It is thematically the same, as it should be as part of an anthology. It is the same in the dynamics that it explores and human relationships and human psychology - in fact, I'd say - much like Hill House - it is a story about humans and their relationships, set against the backdrop of paranormal peculiarities. It's the same in style -both favor atmosphere, slow-burn storytelling, and terror over in-your-face horror. I'd say they're pretty much exactly the same in structure and spirit. My suggestion would be to anyone who like S01 then they'd definitely like S02.

I am at episode six now, I believe. I watched "The Altar of the Dead" last night. I don't agree with the idea that it is "totally different" than Hill House. In fact, I'd say it is "same same but different". It is thematically the same, as it should be as part of an anthology. It is the same in the dynamics that it explores and human relationships and human psychology - in fact, I'd say - much like Hill House - it is a story about humans and their relationships, set against the backdrop of paranormal peculiarities. It's the same in style -both favor atmosphere, slow-burn storytelling, and terror over in-your-face horror. I'd say they're pretty much exactly the same in structure and spirit. My suggestion would be to anyone who like S01 then they'd definitely like S02.
That's fair. I was focusing more on the degree of horror and tone when I said that. There are similarities there too I suppose like with the ghosts in the background. It just never felt as scary to me. I was reading a wikipedia entry about The Turn of the Screw and it said that James wanted his ghosts to be eerie extensions of everyday reality instead of stereotypical ones. I wonder if that is why they weren't as horrific.

In any case, you are definitely right that they do share at least that major overarching theme. I definitely enjoyed it. When I said dissapointed it was just expectations, not that I wished it were different after it got going. Perhaps I need to refresh my memory on Hill House, I just remember it having more horrific moments.

That's fair. I was focusing more on the degree of horror and tone when I said that. There are similarities there too I suppose like with the ghosts in the background. It just never felt as scary to me. I was reading a wikipedia entry about The Turn of the Screw and it said that James wanted his ghosts to be eerie extensions of everyday reality instead of stereotypical ones. I wonder if that is why they weren't as horrific.

In any case, you are definitely right that they do share at least that major overarching theme. I definitely enjoyed it. When I said dissapointed it was just expectations, not that I wished it were different after it got going. Perhaps I need to refresh my memory on Hill House, I just remember it having more horrific moments.
Lol. I guess I need to rewatch it too if that's your perspective of why you see it as different. I feel - barring a rewatch - that it's probably accurate. I do remember the ghosts being more "present" in Hill House and perhaps a more constant sinister aspect to them. Like in Hill House they were actively going after the people, while in Bly perhaps it's more that they're existing in the same space so coming into conflict.

Feeling out this season of Fargo and not quite sure what I think. I alternate between appreciating how quirky the show is and finding it too-quirky; a lot of the characters feel like they can be distilled to a series of tics and eccentricities. I watched the third episode last night, and it certainly feels like it's gaining more focus as it goes on.

I really like seeing Andrew Bird wherever I can get him, though I can't tell if his character is a bit...off, or if he just doesn't have the chops. I'm feeling like the answer to that question will tell me whether I like this season or not.

Just started Bly Manor and I’m already liking it. The story feels familiar (and not just cause I’ve read The Turn of the Screw). But that’s okay. It’s doing it for me. On episode two now.

Also I’m feeling like a rewatch of Hill House would be nice too.

Feeling out this season of Fargo and not quite sure what I think. I alternate between appreciating how quirky the show is and finding it too-quirky; a lot of the characters feel like they can be distilled to a series of tics and eccentricities. I watched the third episode last night, and it certainly feels like it's gaining more focus as it goes on.

I really like seeing Andrew Bird wherever I can get him, though I can't tell if his character is a bit...off, or if he just doesn't have the chops. I'm feeling like the answer to that question will tell me whether I like this season or not.

I'm through E4 and am loving it. Schwartzman and Rock are settling in to their characters, but it's the side characters that are helping this be so watchable. Oraetta, Gaetano and Doctor Senator especially. And as always I love the Coen references/homages.

I do feel the same about Bird, I still can't tell if he's good or not. But you'll be happy to know he does get a chance to whistle in E4.

I'm through E4 and am loving it. Schwartzman and Rock are settling in to their characters, but it's the side characters that are helping this be so watchable. Oraetta, Gaetano and Doctor Senator especially. And as always I love the Coen references/homages.

I do feel the same about Bird, I still can't tell if he's good or not. But you'll be happy to know he does get a chance to whistle in E4.
Was my biggest question about Fargo S4 to be honest.

Haven’t started it yet.

Had no idea that The Haunting Of Bly Manor was out already. For some reason I thought it came out this Friday. Anyway, I guess I know what I’m doing this week. Anyone watched yet? There was a lot I loved about Hill House but I was disappointed by its ending.

My wife and I watched the first 2 episodes. We're enjoying it so far. Biggest complaint is some of the acting leaves something to be desired. However, this show uses a lot of "in the background" scares, which I'm a huge fan of.

Watched the first 2 episodes. Seems OK so far, incredibly slow, very little happening over 1h50m so far. The posh English accents are insanely over blown, distractingly so to someone English, perhaps not so much to non-English. I'll definitely stick with it.

As an American, I had the opposite reaction. The English accents did seem a bit over pronounced, but it's the American lady whose acting seems off and over blown at times.

Anyone watch Evil on Netflix? We watched the first four episodes and I've got mixed feelings. On one hand, it has the guy who played Luke Cage, and it has kept me guessing so far. On the other hand, some of the religious stuff seems very heavy handed, but I can't tell if they're making a statement for or against religion. I feel like the discussion of the abuse within the Catholic church could have been a little deeper. Also, just when I think they're playing things a little on the safe side, Episode 4 happens. Won't spoil anything, but it was a bit shocking.

Anyone watch Evil on Netflix? We watched the first four episodes and I've got mixed feelings. On one hand, it has the guy who played Luke Cage, and it has kept me guessing so far. On the other hand, some of the religious stuff seems very heavy handed, but I can't tell if they're making a statement for or against religion. I feel like the discussion of the abuse within the Catholic church could have been a little deeper. Also, just when I think they're playing things a little on the safe side, Episode 4 happens. Won't spoil anything, but it was a bit shocking.
I haven't watched it yet, but I'm interested. Robert & Michelle King are the showrunners, and after The Good Wife they deserve a look at anything they do. The Good Wife was plagued by some disappearing plotlines and supporting characters (and apparently some major drama between two of the show's stars), but the writing was always sharp and interesting.

It’s ok so far ....nothing great but not bad either

My wife and I watched the first 2 episodes. We're enjoying it so far. Biggest complaint is some of the acting leaves something to be desired. However, this show uses a lot of "in the background" scares, which I'm a huge fan of.

As an American, I had the opposite reaction. The English accents did seem a bit over pronounced, but it's the American lady whose acting seems off and over blown at times.
Yes she is wildly hit or miss in the first few episodes but she does seem to get a bit better. Also not a huge fan of the gardener’s acting either. It just doesn’t feel natural really.

Rewatched the first season of Stranger Things with my 12 year old daughter. She loved it...and had nightmares. Dad of the Year material.

Wife and I are watching old episodes of the Twilight Zone this month on Netflix. They have season 1-3 and 5. Season 4 is on CBS All Access, which is annoying.

Rewatched the first season of Stranger Things with my 12 year old daughter. She loved it...and had nightmares. Dad of the Year material.

Wife and I are watching old episodes of the Twilight Zone this month on Netflix. They have season 1-3 and 5. Season 4 is on CBS All Access, which is annoying.
If it helps, season 4 was the season of hour-long episodes. Considering most Twilight Zones (and I love them) are 5 minutes of setup, 15 minutes of bewilderment, and 2 minutes of payoff, doubling the runtime doesn't do the show many favors.

Just last night I watched the ninth episode of what has now turned out to be season 1 of at least 2, and it literally ends on a cliffhanger. A "documentary." And they've dropped a teaser for season 2 already. The more I've seen of this, and the more it sits with me, the less responsible I'd say this documentary is; the line between covering the cult and exploiting it is incredibly blurry, and the shaggy narrative favors those with access/footage. But now to tease more by providing the sex-trafficking cult leader with a platform seems like an irresponsible and obvious ploy for ratings.

Back