Television

I'm hooked. Though I really need to go back and watch it again because I was working while I was watching it. So I missed a bit.
Any familiarity with the source material to compare it to?

It's a little weird how little of an impact DC's shows have made overall. Are they not good enough to enter the public conversation, or is the subscription model limiting access, or what? I haven't heard a single thing about Doom Patrol, either. In fact the only thing I've seen is the stories about Swamp Thing's failure out of the gate.

It's a little weird how little of an impact DC's shows have made overall. Are they not good enough to enter the public conversation, or is the subscription model limiting access, or what? I haven't heard a single thing about Doom Patrol, either. In fact the only thing I've seen is the stories about Swamp Thing's failure out of the gate.

I never read the comics or watched the animated Teen Titans.

The DC shows are comparable to a very good netflix original. Very good production and special effects. The special effects might be better than what netflix has for most everything.

The DC Originals are all 4K HDR.

Watch Stargirl on the CW to compare. This is the latest DC Universe original where the CW picked it up to air the day after. Edited ofcourse to fit within their timeslot, and remove language. The DC Universe version is about 10 minutes longer per episode.

Thanks to HBO Max and insomnia, I've watched the first 10 or so episodes of Doom Patrol and it is surprisingly good and weird. The rated R element also gives it some edge to counter-act the inherent cheesiness.

Things I watched this weekend:

The Jeffrey Epstein docuseries on Netflix. You already know he is a monster. This tells you just how huge of a monster he was. And there are others that are getting away with it.

Homecoming S2. I liked how it was essentially told backwards. And tied into last season but wasn't dependent on last season. And it keeps flipping your opinions of the characters. But it also felt rushed. Like a bridge, not a full verse.

Uncut Gems. That was an unpleasant ride. Some good performances. But I'm not sure I need to see that ever again.

Homecoming S2. I liked how it was essentially told backwards. And tied into last season but wasn't dependent on last season. And it keeps flipping your opinions of the characters. But it also felt rushed. Like a bridge, not a full verse.
We haven't started it yet, but I've been wondering what the reaction would be for the first season that doesn't have any source material to draw from.

I keep forgetting to watch this. Mostly I haven't watched anything remotely suspenseful, dramatic, scary, dark, or whatever. I keep trying to just watch positive happy things... but this one is easily doable for me I just can't remember to do it when I have the time. Liked season one enough, but wasn't completely overwhelmingly satisfied with it.

I've been trying to get my kid to watch Buffy for a year or so now, but I made the mistake of telling her the first season kinda sucks and the show gets a lot better after that, so she's been resistant to it.

Well I finally caught her in a moment of weakness and now it turns out SHE F*CKING LOVES the first season and tore through 10 eps last night. I'm a little nervous now about whether she'll still like it when it actually gets good and the goofy "our teacher is a praying mantis / uh-oh, Xander is possessed by a hyena" stuff* is a thing of the past.

She's also the type of person who reads lots of spoilers, and I'm trying to tell her that doing that will ruin a lot of the fun this show has to offer, but I don't think she's listening, which is too bad. Buffy has some true surprises in store if you don't know what's coming.

(She doesn't know yet that Angel gets his own series eventually. I think it's going to be a fun thing this summer to watch her pack 12 seasons of this into her brain.)

*Edit: Speaking of that hyena episode, this show barely got through half a dozen episodes before one of its plot points was a group of teenagers eating their principal alive during the school day. And at the end of the ep they're all just like "meh, well, you guys didn't know what you were doing, you weren't in control." Those kids have not even pooped yet; THERE IS A MAN DIGESTING IN THEM and they're like "welp, see you in geometry, roll credits!"
Yikes. I'm pretty sure we started Buffy on Memorial Day, and as of last night (two weeks later) we're a few episodes into Season 4. Now we have to start ping ponging back and forth with Angel for a bit to make it make sense. So far the kiddo hates this transition to the college setting, and so far I don't blame her. I didn't remember just how much it has to re-find its footing in the new setting, and without Angel or Cordelia.

I started tracking down some of the Season 8 comics secondhand last week. The last few years of the comics seem relatively easy to find, but the collected editions for Seasons 8 and 9 can get insanely expensive. It may not be worth it. Has anybody on here read those stories and if so, are they good enough to track down?

The Jeffrey Epstein docuseries on Netflix. You already know he is a monster. This tells you just how huge of a monster he was. And there are others that are getting away with it.

Uncut Gems. That was an unpleasant ride. Some good performances. But I'm not sure I need to see that ever again.
The weather
The Bob Newhart Show

This was all I had the capacity for this weekend.

We haven't started it yet, but I've been wondering what the reaction would be for the first season that doesn't have any source material to draw from.
I keep forgetting to watch this. Mostly I haven't watched anything remotely suspenseful, dramatic, scary, dark, or whatever. I keep trying to just watch positive happy things... but this one is easily doable for me I just can't remember to do it when I have the time. Liked season one enough, but wasn't completely overwhelmingly satisfied with it.

It wasn't really suspenseful or scary or dark. Maybe dramatic. It was also 7 episodes, each under 30 minutes. So it was a very fast binge. Not nearly the focus on PTSD that last season had. I don't want to give anything away but I didn't find that it added anything to the stress of the world that I feel on my shoulders.

And yes, Ben, I would say I agree with the assessment of S1. I liked it enough but wasn't hugely satisfied. And that is how I feel about S2. I think I liked it a bit better than S1. But it still left me feeling a bit cheated out of .... something. It seemed to fly by before I could fully absorb it.

13 Reasons Why ..series 4..

I was amazed at how good, and incredibly challenging season 1 of this was...and season 2 ...again, just as good..some of the most visceral television I’ve seen, certainly not an average teen drama ..by season 3 the standards had slipped but seemed to tie up the story arc...but season 4 has arrived and sadly 4 episodes in..it’s a series too far...but I would urge anyone who hasn’t seen seasons 1 and 2 to watch this

The weather
The Bob Newhart Show

This was all I had the capacity for this weekend.
I love Bob, no ones deadpan can make me laugh harder. I need to give The Bob Newhart Show a go. I absolutely love Newhart we rewatched that a few years ago and outside of the rough first season it holds up really well. It is such a surreal Fever dream of a show and Bob is there playing it all straight while zaniness is going on all around him is so much fun.

I love Bob, no ones deadpan can make me laugh harder. I need to give The Bob Newhart Show a go. I absolutely love Newhart we rewatched that a few years ago and outside of the rough first season it holds up really well. It is such a surreal Fever dream of a show and Bob is there playing it all straight while zaniness is going on all around him is so much fun.

Let me tell you, as a wee young teee, having that many Daryl brothers was CONFUSING! Lol

Has anyone here ever watched Tell Me A Story? Is it any good?

Also, is this only available on CBS All Access or are their other ways to watch it that don't require signing up for yet another subscription service.

i'm kinda wondering about how much value hulu will have

in a few years its basically completely owned by disney. viacom is removing a lot of their stuff soon for their streaming service, NBC is going to leave for peacock, HBO max takes everything from time warner. meaning the majority of big cable channels might be gone

it basically will be "the adult side of disney"

So, there's not a ton of humor in The Wire but man, this scene from S5 E8 - Clarifications got a belly laugh. This is my second time through the show so I kind of remember it, but this time it totally struck me.

McNulty and Greggs go to Quantico to get an eval on the 'serial killer' and this what the agent says:
“He likely is not a college graduate but nonetheless feels superior to those with advanced education. And he is likely employed in a bureaucratic entity – civil service or quasi-public service, from which he feels alienated. He has a problem with authority and a deep-seated resentment of those he feels have impeded his progress professionally…the suspect has trouble with lasting relationships and is possibly a high-functioning alcoholic.”
Hearing them describe Jimmy almost to a T and the look on his face was priceless. It's like, hey they just summed up 5 season of him.
And his reply " They're in the ballpark"

Is it just me or is HBO making the confusion of the Go/Now/Max mess even worse with today's decision?
I think it will make more sense in like 3 months once every transfers over. HBO will be what you get from your cable company and HBO Max will be the stand alone streaming platform. Right now have potentially 3 different HBO apps (two of which were essentially redundant) was likely super confusing to those of a certain generation. Cutting it down to two will be better in the long run, now if AT&T and Roku and AT&T and Amazon can just get there shit together I think it will be all good.

Last edited:
now if AT&T and Roku and AT&T and Amazon can just get there shit together I think it will be all good.
My main concern -- will my Roku device be able to keep up and make this seamless? Because if it's even a slight headache for me, then those people of a certain age that you mention are going to have a hell of a time.

Is it just me or is HBO making the confusion of the Go/Now/Max mess even worse with today's decision?
I think it will make more sense in like 3 months once every transfers over. HBO will be what you get from your cable company and HBO Max will be the stand alone streaming platform. Right now have potentially 3 different HBO apps (two of which were essentially redundant) was likely super confusing to those of a certain generation. Cutting it down to two will be better in the long run, now if AT&T and Roku and AT&T and Amazon can just get there shit together I think it will be all good.
This is so confusing. So is HBO Go dead? Can I still stream HBO stuff on either app? Or will I have to pay for something now (outside of a cable subscription)?

I use my parents cable subscription because they still pay for HBO even though they never watch it. I don’t want to have to pay for another thing. Every article I’ve seen just now didn’t mention where an HBO Go user will go to stream, I’m guessing just the new “HBO” app?

Back